OT: Business Thread (Rangers/Dolan-related): Cablevision sold, Dolan hires Thomas again

eKardz

Mar 22, 2009
Holtsville, NY
There are a million different things to say about James Dolan, but these two are certain: He sticks by his friends, and he doesn’t give a damn what anybody thinks.
If there’s anything you can take from his decision to put Isiah Thomas in charge of the New York Liberty (and make him partial owner), see above. You could also argue Dolan is completely out of his mind for putting someone who was found guilty of sexual harassment in charge of a women’s basketball team.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/05/06/isiah-thomas-james-dolan-liberty-schmeelk/

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
He is still not as bad as the Wilpons IMO (Owners of the Mets for those who don't know). They literally lie to their fan base all the time, they are cheap, and just have every bad quality you could ask for in an owner. And if anyone saw what Pedro Martinez recently said about them, they forced him to play hurt after he was shut down so all the fans would still go to the ballpark and they could pocket more money, he argued at first with them because he didn't want to pitch with a bad injury but they told him they were the ones that pay his check so he should listen. I hate them.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
i use to follow baseball, basketball, football but that was a very, very long time ago. personally if i met and had to be around the guy for any length of time i probably wouldn't like him very much--but then i'm very old school--very pro labor union--**** like that. he has money--he comes from money--he's used to getting his way because of all that. all that being said i don't think he's been a bad owner for the rangers necessarily--he has shown loyalty to his management team and as fans we've been reaping the rewards of that for the last 4-5 seasons as the rangers even if they don't pull it off this year are and have been since at least 11-12 a legit contender.

isaiah thomas and the knicks don't really register much on my radar. maybe they should but......anyway a long long time ago i made peace with the fact that the rangers/msg and anything to do with msg was going to be run by some major corporation like gulf western or some super wealthy television cable magnate plutocrat like dolan. there's no getting around it and their whims if you're going to follow this team.

Last edited:

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
Nepotism is not anything new.
Rich guy hires his rich guy buddy.

As far as Dolan, all you really want from a sports owner is to be willing to invest money and not meddle too much. Dolan has always been willing to invest the money. Not just on players, but on facilities, accomodations etc.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Good article. That is awesomely stupid though, I mean what is he thinking, then again, as the article points out, he doesn't give a flying **** what anyone thinks.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He hasn't been bad for the Rangers b/c he doesn't know ***** about hockey, and luckily hasn't meddled. He thinks he knows things about basketball unfortunately. He has absolutely destroyed the Knicks. He's one of the worst, if not the worst NBA owners.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
IMO I don't think he is a bad owner. He cares, and is willing to spend money on the buildings, and personnel. A bad owner is one who just wants to bleed a franchise dry. He cares too much about the Knicks, that's why they got problems. Now if they were to say not smart, I would agree.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
This guy is crazy, absolutely mentally disturbed. I'm convinced that Jim Dolan is having a secret sexual affair with Isiah Thomas. Live your life and love who you love whatever floats your boat, but you can't just let whatever secret relationship you have completely destroy your multi-billion dollar enterprise.

Hope to god the WNBA blocks this move because if he gets in he'll be running the Knicks in 2 years

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Salary Cap and Gordie/Gorton saved the Rangers. Before that Renney.

It forced them to get young. Without it you know Peter Forsberg, Khabeboulin, etc. are signed after the 2004 lockout.

Dolan can literally only do so much.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
IMO I don't think he is a bad owner. He cares, and is willing to spend money on the buildings, and personnel. A bad owner is one who just wants to bleed a franchise dry. He cares too much about the Knicks, that's why they got problems. Now if they were to say not smart, I would agree.

He's a bad owner. He's an absolute clown. He just hired a man who an absolute trainwreck as an employee and who had to be fired because he sexually harassed a woman - to run a team full of women.

In addition, if it weren't for the salary cap, we could easily be cheering on the hockey Knicks right now.

He's not spending his own money. He's investing in MSG corporation so he can charge/extort massive fees to cable providers and customers to place his channels.

There may not be a bigger racket in this country than cable providers. Fitting that it's where he came from.

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
He's not spending his own money. He's investing in MSG corporation so he can charge/extort massive feeds to cable providers and customers to place his channels.
It's so much worse than than, the Dolan family owns maybe 3% of MSG corp!!! But when they sold off shares they made sure they came with no voting rights and Dolan retained supervoting shares. He can do absolutely anything he wants with no skin in the game

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The best thing about Dolan owning the Rangers is he really doesn't give a **** about them.

dolan.jpg

Best of luck in your path for the annual Stephen's Bowl Trophy!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He is still not as bad as the Wilpons IMO (Owners of the Mets for those who don't know). They literally lie to their fan base all the time, they are cheap, and just have every bad quality you could ask for in an owner. And if anyone saw what Pedro Martinez recently said about them, they forced him to play hurt after he was shut down so all the fans would still go to the ballpark and they could pocket more money, he argued at first with them because he didn't want to pitch with a bad injury but they told him they were the ones that pay his check so he should listen. I hate them.

I saw that about Pedro. Such mean people those Wilpons are.

Its really close who's worse. Maybe too close to call.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The worst thing Dolan does for the Rangers is curse them when talking about the Stanley Cup and whatever other bad jujus he can muster up in the locker room during the playoffs. Other than that I can't say anything too bad about him as far as being the owner of a hockey team.

However, with that being said this guy is an arrogant, spoiled, avaricious scum bag who deserves whatever bad karma comes his way.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Dolan's a pretty good NHL owner. He actually might be one of the best NHL owners, actually.

DieByTheShield

Fire AV
Sep 15, 2014
San Diego CA
I ****ing hate Dolan. That mother****er has run the once proud Knicks into the ground. He needs to just disappear and never get involved in sports again.

Thank God he doesn't give a rats ass about hockey or the Rangers would be Edmonton East.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Nepotism is not anything new.
Rich guy hires his rich guy buddy.

As far as Dolan, all you really want from a sports owner is to be willing to invest money and not meddle too much. Dolan has always been willing to invest the money. Not just on players, but on facilities, accomodations etc.

I couldn't have said it better.

I understand that many Rangers fans are also Knick fans, but you need to be able to look at the two teams independently.

The Knicks are a train wreck largely because of Isaiah Thomas and Dolan's role in keeping him around.

The Rangers are completely different. As another poster pointed out, it may be because he doesn't feel he knows enough to meddle, but who cares. Dolan does everything you could possibly ask of him as owner of the Rangers.

This organization is second to none in money expended on facilities, coaching staff, support staff, doctors, scouting, etc. There may be a salary cap in hockey, but Dolan spends to the max on everything outside the cap that also contributes to a winning club. We always spend to the cap, and have in the past eaten huge contracts to help free up additional cap. Dolan writes every check, and stays out of team business almost entirely.

How is that not the definition of a good owner? People want to hate the guy because he's a known dbag that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and destroyed the Knicks. All of which has absolutely nothing to do with his handling of the Rangers.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's pretty sad, that what makes him a good owner is that he doesn't care about the Rangers.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

The Wilpons are cheap because they lost a lot of their money with Madoff, the margins for error are non-existent with them. I've had dealings with the Mets organization, their staff is top class. A real good group of people who I have nothing bad to say about, however they are very concerned about making a profit, and want and need ticket sales.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It's pretty sad, that what makes him a good owner is that he doesn't care about the Rangers.

Couldn't be more wrong. He cares very much, but unlike basketball, he stays out of the hockey operations. Has for a very long time.

The fortunes for both the Rangers and Knicks depends on their fanbase, and you couldn't ask for a more divergent group once you get passed the general new york sports fan.

The knicks always need to stay relevant, stay trending and be a story, whether they win or not, while the Rangers (and hockey in general) have their loyalists who aren't going anywhere.

They can charge more for Ranger tickets and totally get away with it, that doesn't work with the Knicks. The Knicks always need a draw, the Rangers don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad