Burkie Canned By TOR

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I say get him back asap. He's a gazillion times more capable of being the GM than BM, plus he was the one who was able to convince the Samuelis to spend close to the cap back in the day. He told them to bugger off with the internal budget crap, which is what has thrown the Ducks into a world of hurt lately.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Da ****?

Why now? Why not after last season? Or after the 2012 draft? Or after the initial UFA period? Or after this season? Or pretty much any other time?

The only think I can think of is they don't like something he did during the lockout.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I say get him back asap. He's a gazillion times more capable of being the GM than BM, plus he was the one who was able to convince the Samuelis to spend close to the cap back in the day. He told them to bugger off with the internal budget crap, which is what has thrown the Ducks into a world of hurt lately.
He also left the Ducks in a world of hurt when leaving.

And the cap was a lot lower back then, then it is now.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I too wonder how that would work.
Not sure if we have the $, though. All went to Souray :sarcasm:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Real_ESPNLeBrun: Close GMs friends of Burke's arriving here for BOG in NYC had no clue. They're stunned.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Would be hilarious if we endure a bad start to this year, Burkie comes back in replacing a Murray, and in a couple years wins the cup here to a good degree based on the talent coming in from our last few drafts... :laugh:

Ducksgo*

Da ****?

Why now? Why not after last season? Or after the 2012 draft? Or after the initial UFA period? Or after this season? Or pretty much any other time?

The only think I can think of is they don't like something he did during the lockout.

Rumor has it that he didn't want to pull the trigger on the Luongo deal, and most of management wanted it done. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners let em go for that.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

That ignores the fact that the cap during his reign was beneath where the floor was last year. The Ducks have spent above the floor and profitability every year, this is a nonsense argument.

Ducksgo*

He also left the Ducks in a world of hurt when leaving.

And the cap was a lot lower back then, then it is now.

He left Vancouver in a world of hurt as well. He did the same thing to us and the same thing to Toronto.

GermanRocket7

Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
That ignores the fact that the cap during his reign was beneath where the floor was last year. The Ducks have spent above the floor and profitability every year, this is a nonsense argument.

How so? You may talk of total sums, however, this still is a SYSTEM in which there are minimum and maximum payrolls to play by. If I were to turn your argument upside down, it would mean we should be glad we are now spending more than we were back in '07, which is complete nonsense in itself.

There are certain numbers that have to be reached, and some numbers that are the maximum allowance. And usually, if you're a smart GM and have a competent media staff (which the Ducks lack horribly), spending close to the cap will also generate some profit on its own.

We didn't have the need to spend to the cap under Burke's era in Anaheim, we might as well just have been in the middle of the pack. However, Burke chose to make a difference and convinced Samueli of his ideas, which eventually resulted in the most dominant era of Ducks hockey since the franchise was founded.

I'm all for bringing Burke back, and I bet he'd be able to talk some sense into Samueli again, because our owners went AWOL years ago.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
How so? You may talk of total sums, however, this still is a SYSTEM in which there are minimum and maximum payrolls to play by. If I were to turn your argument upside down, it would mean we should be glad we are now spending more than we were back in '07, which is complete nonsense in itself.

There are certain numbers that have to be reached, and some numbers that are the maximum allowance. And usually, if you're a smart GM and have a competent media staff (which the Ducks lack horribly), spending close to the cap will also generate some profit on its own.

We didn't have the need to spend to the cap under Burke's era in Anaheim, we might as well just have been in the middle of the pack. However, Burke chose to make a difference and convinced Samueli of his ideas, which eventually resulted in the most dominant era of Ducks hockey since the franchise was founded.

I'm all for bringing Burke back, and I bet he'd be able to talk some sense into Samueli again, because our owners went AWOL years ago.

You miss the point - the budget is based off of the amount where the team starts to outspend its income. That is in the low 50's, which is where Burke spent to. Team revenues haven't come close to keeping up with the cap, but the Ducks have never been a cap floor team. Spending to the cap usually results in losses unless you go very deep (2+ rounds) into the playoffs. For ALL teams not based in Toronto, Montreal, and New York.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Da ****?

Exactly my reaction. I saw the title and thought it was a troll thread.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
And usually, if you're a smart GM and have a competent media staff (which the Ducks lack horribly), spending close to the cap will also generate some profit on its own.
That's not how business works. To a certain degree, but you can't just keep going higher and higher and expect things to keep working. There's a point where it does, and the Ducks have been beyond that point for years. Not only the Ducks, by the way, but a lot of teams, which is a big part of the reason we just enjoyed this beautiful lockout. It doesn't work that way.

We didn't have the need to spend to the cap under Burke's era in Anaheim, we might as well just have been in the middle of the pack.
Sure we had a need to spend to the cap. You always do, because it helps your odds to win games. The question isn't whether you have to, the question is whether anything's stopping you, and back then, there was nothing, and for a few year's now, it's the organisation not producing black numbers to be able to afford it in the eyes of our ownership.

However, Burke chose to make a difference and convinced Samueli of his ideas, which eventually resulted in the most dominant era of Ducks hockey since the franchise was founded.

The notion that all it takes is a hockey GM to talk to our billionaire businessman owner and sell him on a couple ideas to agree to losing a few more millions is so far beyond ridiculous that I don't know what to make of it. As if any GM was happy to not just face the league's, but also internal limitations. They work with what they are given, and they are fired when they don't. You're completely messing up the hierarchy there.

GermanRocket7

Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
You miss the point - the budget is based off of the amount where the team starts to outspend its income. That is in the low 50's, which is where Burke spent to. Team revenues haven't come close to keeping up with the cap, but the Ducks have never been a cap floor team. Spending to the cap usually results in losses unless you go very deep (2+ rounds) into the playoffs. For ALL teams not based in Toronto, Montreal, and New York.

No, I do get the point. But the thing is: Burke was willing to be in the market for ANY free agent player. What's BM's response to each question regarding a player actually worth crap in free agency? "We're not in that market.".

I believe that IF the Ducks actually had pursued the A-class free agents (and by that spending to the cap) in the past four years instead of going dumpster diving and trying out players who were already broke (Cogliano -and that even in a trade!, Kyle Calder, Steve Eminger, Andrew Gordon et al.), we would at least have been a perennial PO team and might have very well advanced to the third round of the playoffs at least once more, thus generating cash instead of burning it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: