Bure vs. Malkin

Who is a better All Time Russian Player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pandro

Dec 7, 2014
Malkin is one of a select few who could put a team on their back in the playoffs. Something, I think, no one else among the current generation of players is capable of. The most recent player preceeding Malkin who could do that was Pronger.

Reactions: Casanova and Cape

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Maybe you’re right about Malkin but I love Bure. He wasn’t called the Russian Rocket for nothing. And who knows how’d he be in today’s NHL with the red line out of the way and no obstruction. There’s more skating room out there now.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Bure was more electrifying, but this is Malkin quite easily. And I say that with Bure being a top two all-time fave of mine.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Nope, Fedorov is still their in the mix especially when it comes down to peak/ prime and how good overall of a player he was. Datsyuk not far away either

Malkin’s peak year (regular season and post season) is arguably the best year in the league since Lemieux. That’s without bringing up 2012 which is a better year than anything Federov ever did.

He has a better trophy case. He has 100 less points in 300 less games. He like Federov player second fiddle on his team.

Nothing Federov has done is even close to Malkin unless you think the two Selkes somehow outweighs the two Rosses and the Smythe.

Datsyuk is about as far away from Malkin as Crosby is from Gretzky. Two completely different classes of player.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Malkin has achieved 5 seasons of either hitting 100 points or being on pace to do so without injuries along with winning the Hart Trophy, Art Ross multiple time, Conn Smythe winner, 3x Stanley Cup Champion

Bure just can't compare to those achievements

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Malkin’s peak year is arguably the best year in the league since Lemieux.

He has a better trophy case. He has 100 less points in 300 less games. He like Federov player second fiddle on his team.

Nothing Federov has done is even close to Malkin.

Agreed, in the 08-09 season Malkin's point totals after the regular season and playoffs was 149 points. Nobody has even come close to that in numerous years.

The 08-09 Red Wings were unbelievably unlucky to play both the #1/#2 offensive players in the league in their prime along with one having a generational season and playoff run.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Malkin’s peak year (regular season and post season) is arguably the best year in the league since Lemieux. That’s without bringing up 2012 which is a better year than anything Federov ever did.

Nothing Federov has done is even close to Malkin unless you think the two Selkes somehow outweighs the two Rosses and the Smythe.

Datsyuk is about as far away from Malkin as Crosby is from Gretzky. Two completely different classes of player.

Fedorov is the only player in NHL history to get Selke and Hart in the SAME season. Yes, I know 93-94 was a higher scoring season, but you still cannot ignore the fact that the guy scored 120 points and put 55+ goals and won as Selke and Hart when Gretzky was still in his prime. So you are wrong when you are saying that he has done NOTHING close to Malkin. His peak was arguably better than Malkin's. So don't act like 2012 Malkin was that much better than 94' Fedorov. And a lot of people on this board forget how good Fedorov was in 1995-1996. Top 5 in Hart when NHL had much more stars than during Malkin's prime and he won Selke as well, and was stellar in playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Fedorov is the only player in NHL history to get Selke and Hart in the SAME season. Yes, I know 93-94 was a higher scoring season, but you still cannot ignore the fact that the guy scored 120 points and put 55+ goals and won as Selke and Hart when Gretzky was still in his prime. So you are wrong when you are saying that he has done NOTHING close to Malkin. His peak was arguably better than Malkin's. So don't act like 2012 Malkin was that much better than 94' Fedorov. And a lot of people on this board forget how good Fedorov was in 1995-1996. Top 5 in Hart when NHL had much more stars than during Malkin's prime and he won Selke as well, and was stellar in playoffs.

Federov was never the best player in the league IMO and 100% never dominated a series let alone a playoff run like Malkin did in two cup runs. Malkin also has the argument that he was twice going against prime Ovechkin and Crosby which he actually out performed where as Federov never eclipsed the greats of his time while being second fiddle behind Yzerman.

The real question is has Malkin done more than Ovechkin. And that is the old Forsberg versus Sakic argument.

We could always start the poll and see how the ‘90s nostalgia goes over..

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Federov was never the best player in the league IMO and 100% never dominated a series let alone a playoff run like Malkin did in two cup runs. Malkin also has the argument that he was twice going against prime Ovechkin and Crosby which he actually out performed where as Federov never eclipsed the greats of his time while being second fiddle behind Yzerman.

The real question is has Malkin done more than Ovechkin. And that is the old Forsberg versus Sakic argument.

We could always start the poll and see how the ‘90s nostalgia goes over..

Your reasoning in this very thread for Malkin > Fedorov is that Malkin has more individual hardware and that Fedorov's 2 selkes don't make up for Malkin's 2 rosses and smythe. Using your same logic, OV has TRIPLE the individual awards of Malkin. After removing duplicates, would you rather have 1 ross or 9 rockets, 2 harts and 2 lindsays? There is no debate.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Your reasoning in this very thread for Malkin > Fedorov is that Malkin has more individual hardware and that Fedorov's 2 selkes don't make up for Malkin's 2 rosses and smythe. Using your same logic, OV has TRIPLE the individual awards of Malkin. After removing duplicates, would you rather have 1 ross or 9 rockets, 2 harts and 2 lindsays? There is no debate.

Like I said. It’s a Forsberg vs Sakic argument. Malkin was injured the majority of his career, but the 3 seasons he was healthy vs Ovie he had the better season once and arguably twice. I think Ovechkin is the best Russian NHLer of all time, but Malkin vs Ovie is closer than Malkin vs anyone else IMO.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Like I said. It’s a Forsberg vs Sakic argument. Malkin was injured the majority of his career, but the 3 seasons he was healthy vs Ovie he had the better season once and arguably twice. I think Ovechkin is the best Russian NHLer of all time, but Malkin vs Ovie is closer than Malkin vs anyone else IMO.

May I ask how old you are?

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Born in the 80s. Became a Pens fan in 92-93.

What does that have to do with anything?
I agree Ovie is the best but I think there’s quite a few that can be debated as #2. I often see the younger guys underwrite older players because they weren’t around to see them play. You see it much more frequently in basketball comparisons (LeBron vs. MJ) so sometimes I’m just curious.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I agree Ovie is the best but I think there’s quite a few that can be debated as #2. I often see the younger guys underwrite older players because they weren’t around to see them play. You see it much more frequently in basketball comparisons (LeBron vs. MJ) so sometimes I’m just curious.

Federov is clearly # 3 IMO. And I think in my mind we are talking NHL careers. All time Russians is a totally different argument.

I just don’t see how anyone compares to Malkin given his peak seasons and his trophy case besides Ovechkin.

I respect what Federov and Datsyuk brought defensively. I just think Malkin and Ovechkin tilted the ice in their prime in ways those two never did offensively. Not to even factor in the teams they were playing on in their peak seasons comparatively.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Bure is my favourite player of all time. But this is Malkin. He's just...done so much more, in his career.

Reactions: Sasso09

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

I don't know what you're looking at but if you're using Malkin's "healthy" seasons (70+ GP), OV was way better in 06/07, 07/08 & 08/09 (why he won landslide harts and lindsays). Malkin was way better in 11/12. 17/18 was close.

Also, you keep saying it's a "Sakic vs Forsberg" argument between OV vs Malkin.. Might want to double check that

Sakic vs Forsberg: 3 major individual awards each

Ovechkin vs Malkin: 18-6 individual awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad