Bure vs Crosby (goal scoring)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think Bure would have thrived in this Era. It's fun to think the stats he could put up today.

I'm kinda waiting for Vancouver fans to chime in :laugh:
Conversely, Crosby would have been a monster in the late firewagon/dead puck era. It’s definitely fun to think about, but I think the emphasis on competent defensive play would reduce (but not totally neuter) Bure, but can you imagine Crosby or Malkin facing those 90s blue lines?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Bure wasn't the one-dimensional cherry-picker he's remembered as, prior to his last season in Vancouver. Ages ago, there was a guy on the HoH forum here who spliced together hours and hours of pre-97 game footage, showing Bure to have been a more complete (well, let's say less incomplete) player from 95-96 back.

Ed: to be clear, he was never Sid, but neither was he the late career offense only caricature people remember him as nowadays.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
To be honest, I think Bure needs to be evaluated in the context of his era, like Sid is in his.
I always thought that Sid would have been better suited for 90s hockey than he was for his era. Maybe not so when he first came into the league and relied so much on his speed, but that didn’t last very long for him. He would have been unstoppable in the 90s with how he can grind away in the corners and maintain possession.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Lol. I'm not comparing the players. Crosby is far better. But the goals Bure scored looked a lot like Crosby type goals. I think they were similar goal scorers (off the rush, crazy stick handling).
I think you are comparing highlight reel goals vs. 99.5% of the time a player is on the ice.

I think Sid is just a so-so goalscorer relative to the rest of his abilities. He scores way, way, way above average based on his GOAT backhand and hand eye (I'd include his bank shot heave goals as pure hand eye/instinct) but lost some specially earlier in his career from having a mediocre slapper and just an above-average wrister. Both of those have markedly improved later on his career.

Bure to Sid is just a weird comp. I think Sid is best compared to other generational centers or like, playmaking wingers (I have always thought Patrick Kane was like "Diet Sid"). Bure would be to pure goal scorers. Ovy, Kovalchuk, Hull. I mean wouldn't McDavid even be a better comp than Sid?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I think you are comparing highlight reel goals vs. 99.5% of the time a player is on the ice.

I think Sid is just a so-so goalscorer relative to the rest of his abilities. He scores way, way, way above average based on his GOAT backhand and hand eye (I'd include his bank shot heave goals as pure hand eye/instinct) but lost some specially earlier in his career from having a mediocre slapper and just an above-average wrister. Both of those have markedly improved later on his career.

Bure to Sid is just a weird comp. I think Sid is best compared to other generational centers or like, playmaking wingers (I have always thought Patrick Kane was like "Diet Sid"). Bure would be to pure goal scorers. Ovy, Kovalchuk, Hull. I mean wouldn't McDavid even be a better comp than Sid?
I apologize, I was never saying Sid or Bure are comparable as far as equals, but watching Bure's highlights reminded me of Crosbyesque highlights, heck, even one of them was Bure skating around in the offensive zone before taking it to the net and scoring similar to Crosby doing so in OT vs Edmonton. Both played with speed and had solid hands. I think if Crosby played back then he would have been a better goal scorer and put up goals per game averages similar to Bure, (remember Sid scoring at a 62 goal pace before his injury?)

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I apologize, I was never saying Sid or Bure are comparable as far as equals, but watching Bure's highlights reminded me of Crosbyesque highlights, heck, even one of them was Bure skating around in the offensive zone before taking it to the net and scoring similar to Crosby doing so in OT vs Edmonton. Both played with speed and had solid hands. I think if Crosby played back then he would have been a better goal scorer and put up goals per game averages similar to Bure, (remember Sid scoring at a 62 goal pace before his injury?)
I don't see Sid doing better or worse than just era-adjusting his totals to 80s or 90s rates. Which in the 80s would help and the 90s would be a mixed bag.

Among wingers Kane is a much better comp to Crosby than Bure is.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
did u see that blatant hook in the second bure goal. It was ridiculous the hooking and holding bure and Lemieux had to fight through to score.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Its crazy watching that highlight package of Bure's... at least 2 would have been called back due to Picks/Interference, and about 4 others would have resulted in penalty shots had he missed lol... that era was brutal, I did not enjoy it as much as the 80's and this current era

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Anyone remember if Crosby played wing his first season and part of his second? I don't recall that but someone mentioned it in another thread. Thanks

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Anyone remember if Crosby played wing his first season and part of his second? I don't recall that but someone mentioned it in another thread. Thanks

Crosby and Mario played some time together. Seemed like when they did, they were interchanging themselves between C/W.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Bure was better pure goal scorer. And is among the best ever at that. Not a shot at Sid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad