Bure vs Crosby (goal scoring)

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Watching Pavel Bure highlights, he reminds me of Sid, especially Sid's first 8-10 years or so. I know he was a winger and Crosby is considered more of a playmaker, but some of their goals look alike. Am I reaching here?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Crosby is top 5 GOAT... Bure is a wannabe.

Lol but for real, for those of us who loved some NHLPA 94 and were youngins watching Bure, dude was lightning and fun. I don't think the comparisons are outlandish but I don't think the two players were identical at all. Except maybe how Sid has used his edges to an advantage.

Also I give it 5 seconds before a Valerie Bure joke is made in reference to the 90s Pens.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Crosby is top 5 GOAT... Bure is a wannabe.

Lol but for real, for those of us who loved some NHLPA 94 and were youngins watching Bure, dude was lightning and fun. I don't think the comparisons are outlandish but I don't think the two players were identical at all. Except maybe how Sid has used his edges to an advantage.

Also I give it 5 seconds before a Valerie Bure joke is made in reference to the 90s Pens.
Lol. I'm not comparing the players. Crosby is far better. But the goals Bure scored looked a lot like Crosby type goals. I think they were similar goal scorers (off the rush, crazy stick handling).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm lazy, care to put up some highlights that feel very Crosby-esque?

I have to say that - and this is admittedly more recent - the thing I associate with Sid's goalscoring is this weird cunning omnivorous thing. He scores every type of goal plus a few weird types with the love of the bank shot and the narrow angle and his mid-air deflections and shit. He might be the master of noticing the goalie is out of position so having a go. But yeah, he was far more of a rush finisher to begin with.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

I have to say that - and this is admittedly more recent - the thing I associate with Sid's goalscoring is this weird cunning omnivorous thing. He scores every type of goal plus a few weird types with the love of the bank shot and the narrow angle and his mid-air deflections and shit. He might be the master of noticing the goalie is out of position so having a go. But yeah, he was far more of a rush finisher to begin with.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No one would deny that Crosby is the better overall player, but Bure is one of the top 6 or 7 goal scorers of all time. Dude could score in so many different ways, and if injuries never derailed his career, it might very well be him and not Wayne who Ovechkin is chasing down for the record of all time leader in goals.

The same could be said about Mario & Bossy of course.

I also have never seen any of Bure in Crosby or vice versa.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
As a kid Bure was always my favorite non Pens player. I used to day dream about a Lemieux Jagr Bure line. Whoever can play their off wing.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Bure was certainly a rare talent. He has a better goals per game rate than Ovi does, and played in a much more difficult era to score. Much fewer of his goals would have been on the PP than Ovi as well. Add that to the fact that injuries hampered him on the latter part of his career, and to me you end up with one of the greatest what could have been questions in league history.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol. I'm not comparing the players. Crosby is far better. But the goals Bure scored looked a lot like Crosby type goals. I think they were similar goal scorers (off the rush, crazy stick handling).
Crosby the insane goal scorer was starting to wake up before Steckel, Hedman, and the Pens medical staff royally f***ed it all up and we got a different Crosby after. Not a bad version by any stretch. But the one pre-cheap shot was beyond elite, whatever this verbal wanking about Mcdavid is, is a joke because most of those clowns don't even know how good Crosby was before that injury and what Crosby was after was still better.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Lmao. Crosby is by far the better player but bure Is a significantly better goal scorer

For sure. When you have 10 min go on youtube and watch his 44 goals from 16-17. I don't think there's every been a guy to won a rocket based on mainly mid air and cunning goals like that

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Watching Pavel Bure highlights, he reminds me of Sid, especially Sid's first 8-10 years or so. I know he was a winger and Crosby is considered more of a playmaker, but some of their goals look alike. Am I reaching here?

If there's a comparable player today to Bure it's more McDavid vs Crosby. Like McDavid, Bure did a TON of his damage with his speed. Also note that his scoring is even more impressive bc he was restricted by the 2 line pass

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I can't remember who exactly said it, I think it was a prominent NHLer at the time, but before Sid started his rookie campaign he said that people would be surprised because this player thought Sid was more in the mold of a Bure with blazing speed and lots of goals off the rush.

Reactions: Night Shift

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There's more Scott Stevens in Sid's game than there is Pavel Bure. Dude parked at the center dot waiting for a springing pass and could instantly turn the burners on. Insanely fun to watch, but watching him live let you see just what a 'floater' actually is. He was an 80s-style firewagon player in the 90s/2000s. It takes a special player to be an effective floater in the era of the two-line pass.

Don't get me wrong, Bure was one of the ~5 best goal scorers to ever play the game and one of the most entertaining to watch, but the rest of his game is why he's not held up in as high of regard as many of his contemporaries. Meanwhile it's the rest of his game that gets Sid into top 5-10 of all-time territory. The position difference is especially massive here as Bure basically had no defensive responsibilities.

Dawkins

Jan 20, 2013
UK
Don’t really see the comparison myself. As stated above, nobody of a sane mind would claim that Sid isn’t the superior player, but man, Bure was a lot of fun to watch.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
"sid's the greatest grinder of all time"

Bure was sassy saucy; playing in an era that rewarded that playing type. Today's hockey is all grinding all of the time.

Reactions: RSPens

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Bure was a more explosive skater, had a better shot and was probably a more creative stickhandler than Sid. That being said, Sid is/was better at everything else and plays a 200 ft game, while Bure was the equivalent of a designated hitter in baseball who only impacted the game in the offensive zone.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Lmao. Crosby is by far the better player but bure Is a significantly better goal scorer

For sure. When you have 10 min go on youtube and watch his 44 goals from 16-17. I don't think there's every been a guy to won a rocket based on mainly mid air and cunning goals like that
I wouldn't say significantly. Sid's goal scoring is underrated. Bure lead the league in goals 3 times, Sid 2 times.

dgist71

Jul 13, 2022
I watched Bure growing up he was so explosive at scoring goals but that's all he did lol Sid is the better player though.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Speed and acceleration you can credit him. I'm suprised in the all star competition, I dont think he ever won the speed. May have to look it up.
For pure acceleration, Bure might be GOAT, but there were equally as good skaters IMO, like Coffey. What made Bure especially dangerous though was the league was on the whole less mobile and less skating-oriented than the salary cap era.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Crosby was a really f***ing fast and explosive skater before his high ankle sprain. Not Bure fast but still crazy fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad