Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny vs Ovechkin - Malkin - Datsyuk (read OP)

Which trio do you pick to start a franchise*

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I don't know why you're mentioning the first paragraph at all. Ovechkin has been very healthy and that's to his credit as a player, but in this specific poll it means that he has little room for improvement compared with Bure, for instance. I hope that everyone already knows that Ovechkin is a great player, not that the lockouts have any relevance there. Give Bure perfect health and assume similar team support as Ovechkin has had and I'd expect pretty similar results, some edge to Ovechkin in offence and certainly in physicality but same ballpark at least. Obviously in how things actually played out Ovechkin has already contributed more than Bure ever did.

We saw Bure perfectly healthy in 93, 94 and 98 (age 21, 22 & 26 seasons) in Vancouver on teams that weren't any worse than the 05/06-07/08 caps. Bure was great but never close to the best in the league in those years (0x top 10 hart, 1/3/5 in goals, 3/5 in pts). Bure had health those years, but the results were not close to OV.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
Bure had p/gp finishes of 3, 7, 7, 8

Only once did he finish higher than 7th in p/gp

It takes some wild extrapolation and speculation to liken him to a borderline generational player like Ovechkin. Or just 90s nostalgia.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
We saw Bure perfectly healthy in 93, 94 and 98 (age 21, 22 & 26 seasons) in Vancouver on teams that weren't any worse than the 05/06-07/08 caps. Bure was great but never close to the best in the league in those years (0x top 10 hart, 1/3/5 in goals, 3/5 in pts). Bure had health those years, but the results were not close to OV.

1998 Bure was already past the point of perfect health, though he played almost the full season. Ovechkin's best is better than Bure's best, yes. 1994 Bure in a post-lockout NHL can probably come close to anything that Ovechkin did outside of 2008 though.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'd take each of the 10's player over their 90's counterpart the way it is presented in the OP. I don't think it's all that close either.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think Fedorov gets a bump under OP’s premise as well. People forget his phenomenal peak was cut short by sitting out a season at age 27 due to a contract dispute, and never regaining his previous form after that.
Maybe he just was never that good offensively, at least compared to guys like Malkin and OV.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As a line the 90s one is obviously better, they actually had a lot of chemistry and could have become one of the top line ever in hockey history. The problem is, Ovi, Malkin and Dats could be the basis for three lines, and we remember as Malkin scored 36 points in the playoffs, playing with career 3rd and 4th liners. So I think three top lines are better, than one phenomenal one.

Last edited:

Maag80

Jun 24, 2020
I will never understand how so many say that Datsyuk is CLEARLY better than Mogilny?
Mogilny has in his carrier more than 1ppg, Datsyuk less than 1 ppg.
Mogilny played a lot of years in the DPE, Datsyuk some years after....
But everyone loves Datsyuk and don,t.....Mogilny.
I don't get it, that so many are agree that Datsyuk were better.
Comparison Ov Malkin vs Fedorov Bure, I can take, it,s quite even or the younger for the win.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Love and respect Bure, but man, I'd take Ovechkin over hin easely.

Not as fast, but he's a 6'4" tank whose fast enough and who also happens to be aguarbly the greatest goals scorer of all time.

He's the best player from those 6. I'd also argue Malkin over Bure too. Malkin was unlucky enough to be in the shadow of the greatest player of his generation, otherwise, he would have compete with Ovi for that title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad