Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny vs Ovechkin - Malkin - Datsyuk (read OP)

Which trio do you pick to start a franchise*

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Which trio do you pick to start a franchise, *all starting from their draft year in a world with no injuries where everyone lives up to their full potential?

Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny
vs.
Ovechkin - Malkin - Datsyuk

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lol what is "their full potential"? How is anyone supposed to know that? :huh::laugh:

As for the poll, easily the 10s. OV and Malkin are the 2 best players. The "no injuries" is going to help Malkin more than Bure.

Yeah. Malkin and Ovechkin are 1 - 2 in terms of NHL Russian players. And Datsyuk versus Federov is probably not as far off from a "franchise" standpoint given Federov's fall from grace compared to Datsyuk being meh at the start of his career, but being elite until he basically up and left.

Also, I think Malkin is playing wing on this line despite being a better C offensively than Dats.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I really want to pick the one with Bure...but yeah...it's the more modern trio. I just can't find a reason to justify otherwise.

As much as i adore Bure, Ovechkins goal-scoring ability kinda neutralizes a lot of that. Datsyuk and Malkin is just an unbeatable duo down the middle.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I really want to pick the one with Bure...but yeah...it's the more modern trio. I just can't find a reason to justify otherwise.

As much as i adore Bure, Ovechkins goal-scoring ability kinda neutralizes a lot of that. Datsyuk and Malkin is just an unbeatable duo down the middle.
Team Russia was beaten many times with said unbeatable duo down the middle

Reactions: Ben White

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Hmm Bure was better than Ovechkin Fedorov and Malkin about even, but Datsyuk was surely better than Mogilny so this is quite close.

Reactions: Ben White

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Which trio do you pick to start a franchise, *all starting from their draft year in a world with no injuries where everyone lives up to their full potential?

Bure - Fedorov - Mogilny
vs.
Ovechkin - Malkin - Datsyuk

It sure looks like people aren't reading this right as Datsyuk didn't become a "star" until he was 27.

Sure he went in the 6th round like Bure but it wasn't for the same reasons.

Also the Bure/Fedorov/Mogilny line has some actual real life chemistry.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Ovechkin-Malkin were top 3 players in the league for almost a decade, both holding the best player in the world title at one point. Heck they're both still top 10 players in their mid 30s. 90s trio, as great as they were, were not at that level outside Fedorov's 93-94 season and maybe Bure's 99-00 season.

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
Pavel Bure never had a repeat top 10 performance in either points or points per game.

People love a flashy skillset, but sheezh can the 90s bias be absurd at times.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm going with the 90's. That was a complete line. No player would play out of position. And I seem to recall they were deadly the short time they were together in the old Soviet Union team.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
It sure looks like people aren't reading this right as Datsyuk didn't become a "star" until he was 27.

Sure he went in the 6th round like Bure but it wasn't for the same reasons.

Also the Bure/Fedorov/Mogilny line has some actual real life chemistry.

yep

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
90s would have better chemisty as they actually played together.

But Datsyuk makes it really hard not to pick the 10s. Give you an extra C to build the team. Just one of the most special players I've ever seen.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

are you suggesting Bure didnt live up to his full potential? he scored 59 freakin goals

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm going with the 90's. That was a complete line. No player would play out of position. And I seem to recall they were deadly the short time they were together in the old Soviet Union team.

There's no rule saying that you have to play your three superstars together on one line...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad