Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky to Seattle (5 years, $27.5m)

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The issue with Burakovsky is you could have had Peron for two years at 4.75 instead. Peron checks more of the boxes in scoring, defense, compete level, and very important in helping Wright, Beniers. and other draft picks develop. Just not a big fan of Burakovsky.

I don't disagree, but if Francis has shown us anything in his time as Kraken GM... he prefers guys that are younger. Hell, the oldest player on the team is 32, and other than him (Eberle), no other Kraken player is over 30 even.

I can see you're not a fan of his, but he's a substantial improvement from Ryan Donato or Marcus Johansson.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Wright and Beniers are hopefully our high paid guys. Means they developed into what we hope they will be .
Yes and no. In 2-3 years you do what Ottawa/Detroit/Columbus did this year. You add to your youthful core and make a leap forward. Which holes will need filling is unknown at this point but you fill them and then your young studs have players to play with and everybody's better.

Back to the topic, Burakovsky's a decent signing. Makes the team better. It's not game changing, and I thought we'd do more, but it's a good add.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes and no. In 2-3 years you do what Ottawa/Detroit/Columbus did this year. You add to your youthful core and make a leap forward. Which holes will need filling is unknown at this point but you fill them and then your young studs have players to play with and everybody's better.

Back to the topic, Burakovsky's a decent signing. Makes the team better. It's not game changing, and I thought we'd do more, but it's a good add.

Getting top line wingers is rare in FA nevermind getting them to want to come to our team. Johnny wanted to be closer to home. So he wasn't really an option. ALso getting a top line winger in requires term more than what we gave bura in $$ and years.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The great thing is that… Nevermind… if I say it, I’ll be wrong and it’ll suck so I’ll say it once the remaining big players are signed if it still holds true.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Wright and Beniers are hopefully our high paid guys. Means they developed into what we hope they will be .

I think Francis is doing a solid job there.

Both Eberle's and Wennberg's contracts(just like Schultz) will be up in two years, when Beniers needs en extension.
Also, Gourde's contract is up in three years when you've got to extend Wright.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara

Your paying Beniers / Wright in 2-3 years…..it’s all good I think Bura will fit in nice beside one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleestak Nation

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Your paying Beniers / Wright in 2-3 years…..it’s all good I think Bura will fit in nice beside one of them.
Not necessarily. You ever hear of bridge deals? You're not locking up either long term in 2 years unless they defy all expectations which is unlikely.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Neat stat.

Also:

People who are saying this dude isn't good are entertaining.

We had the Burakovsky debate back in January, and I was very much against the signing - not bcause he was not an upgrade however.

At the time, the team was filled with complimentary finishers and no line-drivers. Burakovsky's production is going to be highly influenced by his linemates. On last year's team I do not believe he'd be worth anywhere near his UFA cap hit playing with guys like Wennberg or Johansson.

This year is different with the addition of Wright. With both Beniers and Wright as pivots, upgrading complimentary scoring wingers makes a lot more sense. So I do not hate the acquisition now. It also helps that it is cheaper than I thought he'd get, (I think the playoff healthy scratching brought down his value a bit).

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Good signing Kraken. Take good care of him. He'll frustrate you at times, but he'll be liked in Seattle.

If you can get him focused and playing aggressive even when he isn't scoring, he'll continue to improve. Still, as is, he is well worth that contract.

I'd take that Blues fan with multiple grains of salt. Seems every Av player is over rated since the playoff sweep last year.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
I watched bura as a Caps fan for years. He won’t be much of a difference maker on the Kraken. He feasts on teams that are stacked with T6 forwards but disappears when he faces meaningful defense or has to adjust his game.

I think it’s a good signing because it gives a high skill wing for Bennie or Wright to pair with and improve their skill set, and eventually we can move him to a contender for assets, but I’d be shocked if he puts up more than 50 points.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Bura is really good at offensive zone entries. He was 2nd or 3rd on the Avs only to Mackinnon and Makar. He has an elite shot. Sometimes his shot selection is bad and he is definitely streaky but at times clutch. He had some great GWGs his first 2 years with us. This year not so much. Good pick up and fair contract for him.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The issue with Burakovsky is you could have had Peron for two years at 4.75 instead. Peron checks more of the boxes in scoring, defense, compete level, and very important in helping Wright, Beniers. and other draft picks develop. Just not a big fan of Burakovsky.
Dont let this guy rain on your parade. St Louis is put together differently. Burakovsky embodies speed and skill.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Bura is really good at offensive zone entries. He was 2nd or 3rd on the Avs only to Mackinnon and Makar. He has an elite shot. Sometimes his shot selection is bad and he is definitely streaky but at times clutch. He had some great GWGs his first 2 years with us. This year not so much. Good pick up and fair contract for him.

He had a GWG in the Stanley Cup finals. That makes up for the rest of the year and then some since the Avs won.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
True. He was also healthy scratched a few games in the playoffs.
He wasn't healthy, lol. The kid's a gamer, read this article:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The begs the question... how much time may he miss at the start of the season, if any?
Broken bone is 6-8 weeks, though there can be complications with both of his injuries. Hopefully he won't miss any, I'm sure the team doc looked at his files before they finalized the deal.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
He wasn't healthy, lol. The kid's a gamer, read this article:

Gamer, love to see that. I really believe he will be a great add for one of those young centers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
how exactly can you play through a broken ankle is beyond me.
Could be a chipped bone and not fully broken. That happened to me when I dropped a heavy part on my foot, chipped one of the bones on top of my foot. It swelled up pretty good, no idea how you can get a skate on that foot.... and I was on crutches for about 2 weeks because it hurt to walk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad