Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky to Seattle (5 years, $27.5m)

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah, that's great. Definitely what he should have received and what the team should have given him. Truth be told, except Grubauer (who could still buck this trend), Francis has gotten some VERY fair contracts signed. Now we wait.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Enjoy him, guys! He can be streaky and when he's cold he'll frustrate the hell out of you with his shot selection, firing pucks wide and killing plays a lot. But man when he's on he has one of the most electrifying wrist shots in the entire league. He literally shot a puck through the top of the net in the playoffs. THROUGH the net. He's also a great play driver and was in the MacKinnon slingshot position on PP2 to pretty consistent entry success. He's an underrated possession player and passer. He's gonna be a big piece for you guys and will become an instant fan favorite the second he snipes one home. Fantastic contract, too.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
I'm not a big fan of the deal. The entire UFA highest bidder process is for suckers and leads to overpaying and underproducing contracts almost every single time. We're hoping to be the exception. Every GM thinks that they're the one guy who is making smart moves while the others are making dumb mistakes. I just went through 8 years of watching the Canucks make these kinds of signings.

If your a cup favorite and need one more piece to win it all sure take the shot. As a new team you should just be sticking with depth guys and small short contracts.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
I'm not a big fan of the deal. The entire UFA highest bidder process is for suckers and leads to overpaying and underproducing contracts almost every single time. We're hoping to be the exception. Every GM thinks that they're the one guy who is making smart moves while the others are making dumb mistakes. I just went through 8 years of watching the Canucks make these kinds of signings.

If your a cup favorite and need one more piece to win it all sure take the shot. As a new team you should just be sticking with depth guys and small short contracts.
So have Beniers and Wright play with no one?

Reactions: NotProkofievian

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
We have players they can play with.

Deals like this are how you become just mediocre enough to still miss the playoffs and take yourself out of the running for a franchise player like Bedard.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Burakovsky was benched in the playoffs against the Blues. He's been a passenger on a highly skilled playoff caliber team in Colorado. Often a streaky goal scorer, he has had issues with playing defense and his compete level. Maybe that's the best that GM Francis could do . Hope there are more trades this off season to make sense out of the first day of free agency. Really, does Burakovsky, Jones, and Schultz really improve the Kraken roster? At least Schultz is a right shooting defenseman.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara

Deals like this are how you become just mediocre enough to still miss the playoffs and take yourself out of the running for a franchise player like Bedard.
Gotta win a lottery to get Bedard, nothing is guaranteed.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I don't think those three signings take us out of any running for a high end pick.
Unless goaltending gets better we're going to be in trouble anyways as Burakovsky can't score enough to make up for that.

Still, like I've said, at some point it's enough with those 5-ish million dollar signings given that you can't have too many of those if you really want to be competitive(stanley cup).

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Burakovsky was benched in the playoffs against the Blues. He's been a passenger on a highly skilled playoff caliber team in Colorado. Often a streaky goal scorer, he has had issues with playing defense and his compete level. Maybe that's the best that GM Francis could do . Hope there are more trades this off season to make sense out of the first day of free agency. Really, does Burakovsky, Jones, and Schultz really improve the Kraken roster? At least Schultz is a right shooting defenseman.

Burakovsky does improve the Kraken, because he's replacing Ryan Donato or Marcus Johansson. Also, 8 points in 12 playoff games is not garbage, it's exactly what you should expect from him and lines up with his regular season production.

Jones, no... he doesn't, and I'd imagine they could have done better, but alas. Hopefully he doesn't have to play much and Grubauer gets back to form.

Schultz... Well, he's a bottom pair guy, so I really don't think he's going to move the needle, and who is he replacing? Lauzon/Fleury? At least unlike the former, he doesn't take a shitload of unnecessary and ill timed penalties. The Kraken still have to sign another defenseman, and I'm hoping it makes him and Borgen as the guys fighting for 6.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I don't think those three signings take us out of any running for a high end pick.
Unless goaltending gets better we're going to be in trouble anyways as Burakovsky can't score enough to make up for that.

Still, like I've said, at some point it's enough with those 5-ish million dollar signings given that you can't have too many of those if you really want to be competitive(stanley cup).

As of this moment, the Kraken are the ONLY team with no players with equal to or more than $6M AAV. Only Detroit is really close in that Larkin is the only one and makes only 6.1M.

If the Kraken end up being a good, competetive team, it'll be due to our ELC players working well with our B+ guys, not a combination of the B+ guys.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Burakovsky does improve the Kraken, because he's replacing Ryan Donato or Marcus Johansson. Also, 8 points in 12 playoff games is not garbage, it's exactly what you should expect from him and lines up with his regular season production.

Jones, no... he doesn't, and I'd imagine they could have done better, but alas. Hopefully he doesn't have to play much and Grubauer gets back to form.

Schultz... Well, he's a bottom pair guy, so I really don't think he's going to move the needle, and who is he replacing? Lauzon/Fleury? At least unlike the former, he doesn't take a shitload of unnecessary and ill timed penalties. The Kraken still have to sign another defenseman, and I'm hoping it makes him and Borgen as the guys fighting for 6.

The issue with Burakovsky is you could have had Peron for two years at 4.75 instead. Peron checks more of the boxes in scoring, defense, compete level, and very important in helping Wright, Beniers. and other draft picks develop. Just not a big fan of Burakovsky.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I don't know how this deal falls into that level. Trying to play just for a lottery pick is more dangerous imo for a new franchise.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The issue with Burakovsky is you could have had Peron for two years at 4.75 instead. Peron checks more of the boxes in scoring, defense, compete level, and very important in helping Wright, Beniers. and other draft picks develop. Just not a big fan of Burakovsky.
That is assuming Perron had interest in signing with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad