Burakovsky: over/under 14 goals?

Halpysback*

unless trotz wants production from that line more than he wants the vets to teach the kid.

why do you think trotz keeps 92 on the 4th line?

Was that the same way Oates tried to boost 4th line production by putting Ovechkin with Beagle and Crabb?

Whatever his reasons for it, Kuz-O'Brien is clearly not working. Time and time again you see Kuznetsov enter the zone controlling the puck and having to dump it because that's all his linemates can work with.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
any number of scenarios are viable. from the outside its impossible to know. I am usually convinced that these choices are made with good reason. Oates put a strain on that belief, but I am trusting in Trotz

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
With Laich out, I'd like to see the following...Kuz isn't going to develop into a C on the 4th line without any skilled players. This lineup is admittedly weaker defensively, but that 4th line should be a really solid defensive line, whereas our current 4th line needs to be sheltered.

OV-NB-Fehr
MJ-Bura-Brouwer
Ward-Kuz-Chimera
Obrien-Beagle-Latta

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
"But the real story here is how poorly the fourth line is doing and that the way Trotz deploys them shows he doesn’t trust them."

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Are we still feeling sorry for poor 92? More useless hand wringing over nothing early in a season. Let it play out already.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Was that the same way Oates tried to boost 4th line production by putting Ovechkin with Beagle and Crabb?

Whatever his reasons for it, Kuz-O'Brien is clearly not working. Time and time again you see Kuznetsov enter the zone controlling the puck and having to dump it because that's all his linemates can work with.

why do you think Trotz has Kuz on the 4th line?

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
Also, I'm surprised that nobody noticed that Trotz has addressed this very topic. From Alex Prewitt:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...22bfb8-5934-11e4-bd61-346aee66ba29_story.html

It's great that Kuznetsov wants the team to win, but he should still want to be that guy that wins the games for us and not just be that guy who played average and didn't make too many mistakes. He's a star and he can't always be that team first 4th line grinder that dumps the puck in just so his team can win. He's 22 and he needs to be in between Chimera and Ward.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's great that Kuznetsov wants the team to win, but he should still want to be that guy that wins the games for us and not just be that guy who played average and didn't make too many mistakes. He's a star and he can't always be that team first 4th line grinder that dumps the puck in just so his team can win. He's 22 and he needs to be in between Chimera and Ward.

He's a rookie. Sure he played in the KHL vs lesser competition in bigger rinks but thats a far different league than the NHL.

Why does he need to do this NOW?

Come back to me halfway through the season with this argument at the very earliest.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
He's a rookie. Sure he played in the KHL vs lesser competition in bigger rinks but thats a far different league than the NHL.

Why does he need to do this NOW?

Come back to me halfway through the season with this argument at the very earliest.

A 22 year old, 4 year pro who, like someone else said, played excellent at Center for Russia in 2012. If he really wants the team to win as badly as he says, he can step up and at least be able to play on the 3rd line of an NHL team at this point in his career considering he has been considered NHL ready for a long time and widely regarded as one of the top prospects in the world for the past couple of years. I know it is a coach's decision most of the time, but I read somewhere that Kuznetsov told Trotz that he wanted to be on the 4th line. Wouldn't the jump to KHL to NHL be worse if you are on the 4th line than in the top 6, considering how you are going up against tough heavy hitting 4th liners and 3rd pairing D's who are in the lineup to hit and fight, and one of the biggest concerns for players making this jump is the much more physical play of the NHL.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
A 22 year old, 4 year pro who, like someone else said, played excellent at Center for Russia in 2012. If he really wants the team to win as badly as he says, he can step up and at least be able to play on the 3rd line of an NHL team at this point in his career considering he has been considered NHL ready for a long time and widely regarded as one of the top prospects in the world for the past couple of years. I know it is a coach's decision most of the time, but I read somewhere that Kuznetsov told Trotz that he wanted to be on the 4th line. Wouldn't the jump to KHL to NHL be worse if you are on the 4th line than in the top 6, considering how you are going up against tough heavy hitting 4th liners and 3rd pairing D's who are in the lineup to hit and fight, and one of the biggest concerns for players making this jump is the much more physical play of the NHL.

I think that article summed it up nicely.

Kuznetsov did not outplay Burakovsky and he certainly shouldn't be 1C.

That leaves 3C where Fehr is playing with great chemistry and is a vet.

You want to expose Kuznetsov, who struggled at C in defensive coverage all preseason, to top competition facing the opposing teams best offensive players???

You think that will help his confidence?

Again..he did NOT outplay Burakovsky and thats the only slot in the top 6 where he'd fit since the org wants him at C.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Also, I'm surprised that nobody noticed that Trotz has addressed this very topic. From Alex Prewitt:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...22bfb8-5934-11e4-bd61-346aee66ba29_story.html

“It’s big problem for me last season when I come,” Kuznetsov said, before pivoting to the present. “Right now, I understand. Give me six minutes or eight minutes. It doesn’t matter to me. All we need to do, win the game.”

That's all I need to hear on the subject. His head is in the right place, even if his fan's heads aren't.

From Trotz:

The Capitals have remained steadfast in their vision for Kuznetsov, keeping him at center even after a recent injury to Brooks Laich, which vacated a wing spot on a higher line.

“You think you’re getting more minutes and maybe he’s playing a different role, but it actually disrupts him,” Coach Barry Trotz said Tuesday, after Washington practiced at a local rink near Edmonton. “You take him out of his comfort zone, then they get cautious, then things might not go really well. I just want to keep it stable for a young player as long as I can. That’s my goal. The guy that’s probably lost some minutes is Kuzy. His minutes have fluctuated. That’s all on me. Kuzy’s doing fine. I don’t have any problems with him.”

“I’m looking for a guy like Kuzy to have a real strong career for the next 15 years or so,” Trotz said. ‘What happens here in the next two weeks, or a month from now, will have what I think very little bearing on his long-term success here.”

Last edited:

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
I think that article summed it up nicely.

Kuznetsov did not outplay Burakovsky and he certainly shouldn't be 1C.

That leaves 3C where Fehr is playing with great chemistry and is a vet.

You want to expose Kuznetsov, who struggled at C in defensive coverage all preseason, to top competition facing the opposing teams best offensive players???

You think that will help his confidence?

Again..he did NOT outplay Burakovsky and thats the only slot in the top 6 where he'd fit since the org wants him at C.

According to the organization, they plan on having the #2C and #3C positions being filled by Burakovsky and Kuznetsov for the foreseeable future. Personally, I think Burakovsky is going to win that battle, but that question is still up for debate. So, one of them is going to have to slot into that #3C position because it is clear that Fehr is not the long term solution at #3C or else Kuznetsov would've already been moved to #2RW.

As I see it, Chimera and Ward get plenty of offensive zone time and they both are great at shutting down lines and playing defense. Ward can also take all of the defensive zone and important faceoffs until Kuz is more comfortable.

If we're going to eventually put Kuznetsov at #3C, we might as well put him there now to get comfortable earlier in the season before the points get more crucial and the playoffs come.

So are we going to keep him at #4C all season, move him to wing, wait for an injury, or just move Fehr to wing and put Kuz there?

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything

“I’m looking for a guy like Kuzy to have a real strong career for the next 15 years or so,†Trotz said. ‘What happens here in the next two weeks, or a month from now, will have what I think very little bearing on his long-term success here.â€

This quote gave me warm fuzzies...I'd love for instant success from Kuz, but committing to developing his play at C is best for him and the team - I don't want to see them give up too early (which I feel like the team / coaching staff have been prone to do in the past).

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

I just don't read it this way....

How do you take he wants to "just be that guy who played average" out of what he said? and are you expecting him to demand ice-time and linemates? He is not a star, he is a young skilled player with lots of potential...that's it. He looks fine to me and the season is long, he is going to play a bunch this season if he just continues to develop and play hard. No reason to think otherwise for me

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
I just don't read it this way....

How do you take he wants to "just be that guy who played average" out of what he said? and are you expecting him to demand ice-time and linemates? He is not a star, he is a young skilled player with lots of potential...that's it. He looks fine to me and the season is long, he is going to play a bunch this season if he just continues to develop and play hard. No reason to think otherwise for me

My interpretation is that he isn't going to force Trotz into giving him more ice time with his play and he'll be ok with playing 4th line as long as we are winning, unlike what Burakovsky did at 19 years old with no pro experience. Do we really need to shelter him because I would think that most people still think that Wilson's year last year was handled poorly. Most people would've moved up a 19 year old Wilson up in the lineup if there was room. And this year with Kuznetsov being given sheltered minutes there is an actual opening for him at #3C because the green line was obviously not working tonight.

Try Fehr on the top line again, and I'm sure Brouwer will work just fine with Bura and Mojo.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
According to the organization, they plan on having the #2C and #3C positions being filled by Burakovsky and Kuznetsov for the foreseeable future. Personally, I think Burakovsky is going to win that battle, but that question is still up for debate. So, one of them is going to have to slot into that #3C position because it is clear that Fehr is not the long term solution at #3C or else Kuznetsov would've already been moved to #2RW.

As I see it, Chimera and Ward get plenty of offensive zone time and they both are great at shutting down lines and playing defense. Ward can also take all of the defensive zone and important faceoffs until Kuz is more comfortable.

If we're going to eventually put Kuznetsov at #3C, we might as well put him there now to get comfortable earlier in the season before the points get more crucial and the playoffs come.

So are we going to keep him at #4C all season, move him to wing, wait for an injury, or just move Fehr to wing and put Kuz there?

Or you can just as easily destroy his confidence by throwing him into the fire.

Not all players are created equal. Some need more time to adapt.

Burakovsky played an entire season in NA and with smaller ice surface/different style of game.

International ice is a completely different kind of game. Slower, more methodical and less physical. Kuz has played about 20 games or so in NA.

Have some patience.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My interpretation is that he isn't going to force Trotz into giving him more ice time with his play and he'll be ok with playing 4th line as long as we are winning, unlike what Burakovsky did at 19 years old with no pro experience. Do we really need to shelter him because I would think that most people still think that Wilson's year last year was handled poorly. Most people would've moved up a 19 year old Wilson up in the lineup if there was room. And this year with Kuznetsov being given sheltered minutes there is an actual opening for him at #3C because the green line was obviously not working tonight.

Try Fehr on the top line again, and I'm sure Brouwer will work just fine with Bura and Mojo.

Trotz at minimum feels differently.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Are we still feeling sorry for poor 92? More useless hand wringing over nothing early in a season. Let it play out already.

Of course you're right that it is to early, but I have to say I'm mildly dissapointed by his perfomance so far, considering he REALLY isn't a rookie, with all that KHL experience under his belt. I would have thought he would have come out of the gate faster. But I suspect by mid-season he should be on track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad