Burakovsky: over/under 14 goals?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Over. He's for real.

He could slow down but unless his game completely falls apart IMO he will remain a regular player. Wilson returning doesn't change all that much.

The center dynamic between 65/92 could cause issues requiring some changes at some point but even still I think he'll survive.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I say under, only because he has yet to play a single real NHL game. As good as he's been, the games get faster and the hitting harder a week from now. But I wouldn't be shocked to be wrong either.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Over. If you look at the goals he's scored and his release, he has the ability. I think he's the real deal

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I will go with over. He will bring us all back to the days when goals were scored on great individual talent that had nothing to do with coaching. If he stays up all season I think he can get 10 that he creates on his own.

johals73

Oct 2, 2014
That means he will have a Boone Jenner, Valeri Nichushkin, Alex Chiasson kind of a year. I don´t se it as impossible, but of course it will depend much on if he gets any PP-time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As said, depends on PP and top 6 minutes. If those are reasonable, we don't suddenly become a trapping team playing for shootouts, and he plays close to a full season then definitely over based on ability.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Under. I'm not sure I see him getting enough ice time, and wouldn't be surprised if he gets sent down when the roster is healthy.

That is my feeling also. I will not be surprised when the games start counting he begins to look overmatched and ends up spending the majority of the season in Hershey, which I think will actually be good for his development.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-burakovsky-moves-closer-to-nhl-roster-spot/

So when Trotz took the podium following a 3-2 shootout victory Thursday night over visiting Philadelphia, the first question asked how, with one exhibition game left until final cuts, Burakovsky possibly could keep himself off the roster, because inclusion seemed a foregone conclusion.

“Yeah, he’s earned the right,” Trotz said. “He’s gotten better every game. I don’t imagine him not being here.”

Earlier this week, Trotz said Burakovsky was looking “like an NHL player.” On Wednesday in Buffalo, Troy Brouwer predicted that Burakovsky would make the squad: “I think he’s slotted in on the team on opening day at the moment,” he said then.

The next night, Eric Fehr compared Burakovsky’s skills to center Nicklas Backstrom’s and marveled at the impressive ascent of a 20-year-old, until he was reminded that Burakovsky, until next February, is still 19.

“It’s definitely not easy learning all the routes and especially for such a young guy, I don’t think I could’ve done that at his age,” Fehr said. “He’s definitely a mature player for his age. He’s been one of our go-to guys. Not just scoring goals. He’s making the right decisions, he’s making the smart plays.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The longer it takes Kuznetsov to transition to the North American style of play, the lower the bar will be for Burakovsky. If their preseason performances were flipped I'd have a much easier time believing Burakovsky's stay could be short.

Similarly, the longer it takes the top line to become a threat either individually or collectively the easier it will be for Burakovsky to make his mark, gain confidence and have whatever defensive limitations overlooked due to his production. There's plenty of room for someone that can manufacture quality chances 5-on-5.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I'm saying over.

I think Kuznetsov's performance is underrated though. He rang two or three off the iron. It's bad luck, not bad play. I've also been very impressive with his positional play. He probably studied a lot of tape and is much better as a center than he was. Burakovsky, as skilled as he is, sometimes loses position.

I think the way Kuznetsov's played he's made a nice case for putting both him and Burakovsky on second line.

Burakovsky - Kuznetsov - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Ward

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
I'm an Avs fan coming in piece since one of my fav east teams is the caps, and I have a question for Caps fans:

I don't watch them enough to know why he's being tried at center, but why is he being tried at center (nhl article just came out and said he is) when he's had mostly success as a goal scorer being LW? A guy who gets 41 goals in juniors playing LW might be better suited to staying in that position, no?

why not just have him LW with Kuz and a veteran?

ovie - back - brouwer
bura - kuz - ward

would be something I would try but of course I'm not up to date on how players have looked pre-season and camp so far.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
I'm saying over.

I think Kuznetsov's performance is underrated though. He rang two or three off the iron. It's bad luck, not bad play. I've also been very impressive with his positional play. He probably studied a lot of tape and is much better as a center than he was. Burakovsky, as skilled as he is, sometimes loses position.

I think the way Kuznetsov's played he's made a nice case for putting both him and Burakovsky on second line.

Burakovsky - Kuznetsov - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Ward

These lines please. Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson once he's healthy and then Fehr-Latta-Brown. Johansson, just get rid of him.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I'm an Avs fan coming in piece since one of my fav east teams is the caps, and I have a question for Caps fans:

I don't watch them enough to know why he's being tried at center, but why is he being tried at center (nhl article just came out and said he is) when he's had mostly success as a goal scorer being LW? A guy who gets 41 goals in juniors playing LW might be better suited to staying in that position, no?

why not just have him LW with Kuz and a veteran?

ovie - back - brouwer
bura - kuz - ward

would be something I would try but of course I'm not up to date on how players have looked pre-season and camp so far.

Because when it comes down to it, the Caps don't really have a current solution for #2C. They have a few guys who MIGHT grow into that role - MJ, Kuz, and Bura are all options. They know that whoever doesn't pan out can slide to wing, so they are better off letting more guys try to develop as a center. Bura has been a very pleasant surprise during the preseason, so why not go with it until he hits a wall.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The longer it takes Kuznetsov to transition to the North American style of play, the lower the bar will be for Burakovsky. If their preseason performances were flipped I'd have a much easier time believing Burakovsky's stay could be short.

Similarly, the longer it takes the top line to become a threat either individually or collectively the easier it will be for Burakovsky to make his mark, gain confidence and have whatever defensive limitations overlooked due to his production. There's plenty of room for someone that can manufacture quality chances 5-on-5.

If the top line is productive then I believe all ships CAN rise with that tide, while a stagnant top 3 will mean a harder assignment for lower lines (where Bura will likely be).

Remember last year when other teams weren't even playing shutdown lines vs. our top line, because they didn't need to. That means the lower lines see tougher defenses. If Bura thrives in THAT environment then he will do more than make a mark, he'll cement his place as a Caps star and staple for the next few years at least.

With Kuz I think you have to ask "what could we have done differently with Semin", because that's how I view Kuz as a player until proven otherwise. I see massive offensive potential and questionable defense and physicality, with an unknown factor in the psyche. I think you have to surround a guy like that with complementary players and then let him produce. If he doesn't produce and doesn't add to the overall team concept then you have to move on.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, Bura already showed much more offensive potential than Wilson who we all (almost) defended (as a future producer) last year. Bura's skills are the thing you can hardly teach. He should certainly have some success. Like 10 goals easily! :)

So I'm going with over, as long as I'm very optimistic in the beginning of every season. If things go south I will just watch the team less and don't ever think about Bura's numbers because that will mean nothing.

Burakovsky95*

All depends on his ice time and games played while also factoring in how much PP time he gets. I could easily see him get anywhere from 8 to 17.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If he sticks and gets playing time, I could see him out performing Kuz. Wouldn't that have a few posters in a panic....lol?!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm. We've seen so many prospects get a few games with the big squad and look great, then kind of slide back into a comfort zone or a groove of mediocrity with the rest of the team. Bura may be the canary in the coal mine for Trotz's ability to buck that trend and change the culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad