Burakovsky: over/under 14 goals?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
My interpretation is that he isn't going to force Trotz into giving him more ice time with his play and he'll be ok with playing 4th line as long as we are winning, unlike what Burakovsky did at 19 years old with no pro experience. Do we really need to shelter him because I would think that most people still think that Wilson's year last year was handled poorly. Most people would've moved up a 19 year old Wilson up in the lineup if there was room. And this year with Kuznetsov being given sheltered minutes there is an actual opening for him at #3C because the green line was obviously not working tonight.

Try Fehr on the top line again, and I'm sure Brouwer will work just fine with Bura and Mojo.

how you took that as him planning on bringing his C game to the rink each night is beyond me. I think you are reading too much into it...I expect he intends to play hard each night and earn more ice time

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Of course you're right that it is to early, but I have to say I'm mildly dissapointed by his perfomance so far, considering he REALLY isn't a rookie, with all that KHL experience under his belt. I would have thought he would have come out of the gate faster. But I suspect by mid-season he should be on track.

I have to say I'm not disappointed at all. Maybe surprised he didn't earn a 2nd line spot until I heard Trotz reaffirming the developing only at the C. He's producing with 4th liners, getting double shifted and PP time. If he's as billed and continues to develop, he'll be earning more ice time as the season progresses. We're a few injuries from him playing 1C, you never know.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
They should give Burakovsky more ice-time, today lesser then 13 minuts. He should get about 17-18 min.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I'm fine with limiting his ice time. Make sure he has some gas in the tank for the second half of the season.

... Or you can make him lose his form by limiting his ice-time, that I have seen with many players. I dont think he has bad fitness so you need to reduce his ice-time to make sure that he has gas left later.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
... Or you can make him lose his form by limiting his ice-time, that I have seen with many players. I dont think he has bad fitness so you need to reduce his ice-time to make sure that he has gas left later.

It has nothing to do with stamina. If you are concerned he is not getting enough ice time he could always get sent down to Hershey and then have lots of time. When needed he could get called up. I think there are too many guys once everyone is healthy and that would solve the problem.

You know that he's only 19? He is very good but you can tell he's young. Sometimes he holds on to the puck too long. He'll get creamed by some of the opposition. Not everyone plays nice and thinks he's only a young kid so don't hurt him. Think Chara and Pacioretty.

He doesn't yet have the NHL battle experience or the extra body thickness that develops with age. They are saving his body and exposure by limiting time. It's a long season and there is no point in wearing him out early. Nine preseason, 82 regular season plus ? post season. A possible 28 in post season.

I'm okay with him playing fewer minutes. Same with Kuznetov.

Last edited:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
It has nothing to do with stamina. If you are concerned he is not getting enough ice time he could always get sent down to Hershey and then have lots of time. When needed he could get called up. I think there are too many guys once everyone is healthy and that would solve the problem.

You know that he's only 19? He is very good but you can tell he's young. Sometimes he holds on to the puck too long. He'll get creamed by some of the opposition. Not everyone plays nice and thinks he's only a young kid so don't hurt him. Think Chara and Pacioretty.

He doesn't yet have the NHL battle experience or the extra body thickness that develops with age. They are saving his body and exposure by limiting time. It's a long season and there is no point in wearing him out early. Nine preseason, 82 regular season plus ? post season. A possible 28 in post season.

I'm okay with him playing fewer minutes. Same with Kuznetov.
I don't know if you've heard, but preseason games don't really count when it comes to discussing injuries and wear and tear. Each player begins and ends the preseason in exactly the same physical condition.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bura played as much even strength ice time as any Caps forward other than the first line. He's on the 2nd pp unit which doesn't get much ice time. I am not sure where you want the added ice time to come from? His ice is not really being limited.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was expecting to see this bumped after he sparked our comeback. So yeah. Bump.

What a snipe, and great decision to not pass. #PadCorsiFTW

Great shot, and I think he is a great passer in what little I have seen. Creative with the puck, and not afraid to shoot. When he passes its with authority. Scoring goals is much easier when passes are fast. Everything he does appears at a fast pace. MJ is reaping the benefits by simply starting to shoot. Its almost like the passes are so fast he has little time to overthink it, and be cerebral.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I was expecting to see this bumped after he sparked our comeback. So yeah. Bump.

What a snipe, and great decision to not pass. #PadCorsiFTW

Great shot, and I think he is a great passer in what little I have seen. Creative with the puck, and not afraid to shoot. When he passes its with authority. Scoring goals is much easier when passes are fast. Everything he does appears at a fast pace. MJ is reaping the benefits by simply starting to shoot. Its almost like the passes are so fast he has little time to overthink it, and be cerebral.

The thing that stuck out to me on the 2 on 1 was that there was no sense of urgency or panic at all. I've never seen a rookie so poised and comfortable so early on in his career. To say he was cerebral on that play seems like an understatement, kid was cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The thing that stuck out to me on the 2 on 1 was that there was no sense of urgency or panic at all. I've never seen a rookie so poised and comfortable so early on in his career. To say he was cerebral on that play seems like an understatement, kid was cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Once John Carlson was cool as cucumber and scored a big no looking goal in the overtime... There is still inconsistency in his game while that cool as cucumber moment was long time ago.

Bura is great and will be great I hope but he shouldn't be the one doing heavy lifting yet.

I hope Trotz will help Dre to grow without bad habits some other Caps players already have.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

What stuck out to me, was how quickly he decided to shoot. Evaluated the play, decided to shoot at the last moment, and did it faster than you can say top shelf far side.

He seems to have very quick hands and the mind to use them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
you can't judge effort or intensity by body language.

I don't think Bura is doing a lot of heavy lifting. His production is secondary to the big guns and his ice time reflects that.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
He looked so confident last game. Did you guys see some of the moves he was trying (thought they didn't work out)? This kid has wow factor written all over him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that's not really the point. I see him make rookie mistakes while at the same time looking calm and I see him attempt to dangle and get used up by the checker.

the moves he makes are what comes naturally to him. what you don't see are the moves the he doesn't do because he is learning. for him less is more and you cant really see when its working because you cant prove a negative

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I don't think Bura is doing a lot of heavy lifting. His production is secondary to the big guns and his ice time reflects that.

Didn't say he is. But he is slotted into ES 2C position now which is presumed to be important in Spring.

And yes, his production now is a bonus!

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Once John Carlson was cool as cucumber and scored a big no looking goal in the overtime... There is still inconsistency in his game while that cool as cucumber moment was long time ago.

Bura is great and will be great I hope but he shouldn't be the one doing heavy lifting yet.

I hope Trotz will help Dre to grow without bad habits some other Caps players already have.

Carlson did that at the World Juniors though, not to downplay that achievement but it's no where near the same in skill or intimidation to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad