Bunting The Poll

Bunting is

• Total voters

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Pace after 3 games? And xgf? Really? He’s a very mediocre skater, doesn’t have the explosiveness to forecheck and pressure the defense like Hyman does. I’m sure there’s no stat to quantify what Hyman does best so I see how you could be confused.

That said, Bunting has some shades of a poor mans Brendan Gallagher. For less than a million, that’s a solid player.

… but since you’re doing pace, could you post the Mrazek vs Anderson stuff again? That was funny.

In his short Maple Leafs career, 5 or 6 games, that I've seen him play, it's pretty obvious the guy has good instincts and is willing to play deep in the slot. He reads the play quickly and is a challenge for the defending players, you can see it in their reaction to him, you don't lose your mind over a player who is not threating your position. TBH I wasn't really watching for speed, just impressed with his Hockey IQ.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I’ve been thinking for a few years now,I wish we had someone like
Gallagher in our lineup.

Gallagher, Marchand, the two Tkachuk's, different skill levels between the 4 of them but they all have that same gamer attitude. That you just want to punch in the face every game. Bunting seems to be that gamer that opposing players. He is extremely good at drawing PIM's.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
In the short Maple Leafs career, 5 or 6 games, that I've seen him play, it's pretty obvious the guy has good instincts and is willing to play deep in the slot. He reads the play quickly and is a challenge for the defending players, you can see it in their reaction to him, you don't lose your mind over a player who is not threating your position. TBH I wasn't really watching for speed, just impressed with his Hockey IQ.
Indeed. What he lacks in skill and physical ability he makes up for in hard work and smart play. Just hope the body holds up through the physically unforgiving game he plays.

Tenacious worker, late bloomer and hometown kid. Tough not to cheer for him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Little to no players on the Leafs roster who are absolutely enthused to crash the net and get themselves in the slot.

Welcome aboard.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That’s significantly better than than Hyman’s most productive season, 21gl/41pt … from 4 years ago.

Eh....hyman's been at a legit 30gl/60pt pace the past couple years. Pretty great.

Though arguably in the cushiest offensive role in hockey.

Reactions: banks

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He's averaging at least a scrap a game, which is amazing. Not trying to beat a dead horse here but the team is pretty Fiesty. With adding Bunting, Ritchie etc.. to the team with Simmonds, Muzzin. When was the last leafs team that was this tough?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would love it if he develops into a Tucker like player...need this kind of player desperately.
Any idea if he can fight?
Watched him live for the first time Saturday. This kid is going to be a fan favourite very quickly

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yep, Ritchie, so far, is exactly what I feared he would be, a player who produces little and takes dumb PIM's.

He’s taken one single penalty and no one seemed to have any issue with it at the time.

He has more to give, Matthews joining the line will no doubt help, but he’s been largely fine in his role so far. The only people jumping to conclusions that he is and won’t be a good fit there this season already are the people who had already made up their minds about him before he stepped on the ice.

He’s been parked in front of the goalie constantly (which only really is helpful when your line mates hit the net (which Marner and even Tavares a bit have been missing wide a lot), has 12 hits, a few shots, been the screen on a goal even if he got no points on it. He’s going to improve as develops some chemistry one would hope, and while he hasn’t been a good fit yet, he certainly hasn’t played poorly either

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Would love it if he develops into a Tucker like player...need this kind of player desperately.

Tucker was borderline insane when he played. When he gave you those crazy eyes, you knew it was going to get real intense real quick. Loved him and those runs we had while he was a Leaf.

Bunting has soooo far to go to get to his level. Here’s to hoping.

Reactions: ACC1224

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s definitely been a nice surprise. I wouldn’t say he’s Tucker like already but he’s got the tools to be. This is the kind of players we need more of.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's a poor man's Brad Marchand. I'll take that all day long at his cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad