News Article: Bullying and Backstabbing: The Ottawa Senators are Pro-Sports' Biggest Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You know, you can still support the team but not support the owner. It's really not that hard.
on-the-nose-4.jpg

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yup, you just have to boycott the games and stop giving Eugene your money.
No, you can still go to games, hockey is hockey.

I wouldn't deprive myself of watching my favorite team because I think my 100 or so dollars every other week will make any kind of dent to Melnyk. Of course everyone leaving has merits of itself, I understand and don't think any differently of anyone who does or doesn't. The same applies to those those who still pay to see the team.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No, you can still go to games, hockey is hockey.

I wouldn't deprive myself of watching my favorite team because I think my 100 or so dollars every other week will make any kind of dent to Melnyk. Of course everyone leaving has merits of itself, I understand and don't think any differently of anyone who does or doesn't. The same applies to those those who still pay to see the team.

Giving Eugene money rewards his behaviour and helps him maintain control of the franchise.

I fully support people making the choice to do so. Their money, their call.

However, you can't ignore that going to games helps our A hole owner. You quite simply can't give him your money and claim you are just supporting the team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Giving Eugene money rewards his behaviour and helps him maintain control of the franchise.

However, you can't ignore that going to games helps our A hole owner. You quite simply can't give him your money and claim you are just supporting the team.

Not everyone's mind is hooked on things evolving around Melnyk.,. there is actually an NHL hockey game, an event that is fun to attend with friends, young players and a team to cheer for as part of enjoying being a fan. A happy thought. :laugh: try it out some time.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Yes, you can. Of course going to games is supporting the team. Saying otherwise is ridiculous.

I hate Melnyk as much as anyone, but I'd be going to games if I were in Ottawa for sure, I love hockey.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Not everyone's mind is hooked on things evolving around Melnyk.,. there is actually an NHL hockey game, an event that is fun to attend with friends, young players and a team to cheer for as part of enjoying being a fan. A happy thought. :laugh: try it out some time.
Until Melnyk no longer has control of this team, the franchise has no future.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, you can. Of course going to games is supporting the team. Saying otherwise is ridiculous.

I hate Melnyk as much as anyone, but I'd be going to games if I were in Ottawa for sure, I love hockey.

You can't spend money on the Sens without supporting Melnyk. Saying otherwise is ridiculous.

I didn't say going to games wasn't supporting the team. Just that you can do so at home without supporting Melnyk.

Reactions: Bean Drown

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
There has been some good done by this team,Trent Mann has established himself as a great head scout ....The kids have been great...

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I want stable ownership. I hope Melnyk sells. I bought and wear #MelnykOut merch in lieu of any new Sens jerseys, hats etc. this year.

I also enjoy watching this year's team far more than I ever did at any point last year, warts and all. The constant barrage of negativity about how Ottawa is a terrible hockey team with no future and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive at best (or a Melnyk shill at worst) has the same effect as a coach doing nothing but screaming at his players - eventually the message gets tuned out.

Both "sides" ultimately want the same thing - to see the Ottawa Senators lift the Stanley Cup. I feel like that gets lost in the sound and fury sometimes.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I want stable ownership. I hope Melnyk sells. I bought and wear #MelnykOut merch in lieu of any new Sens jerseys, hats etc. this year.

I also enjoy watching this year's team far more than I ever did at any point last year, warts and all. The constant barrage of negativity about how Ottawa is a terrible hockey team with no future and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive at best (or a Melnyk shill at worst) has the same effect as a coach doing nothing but screaming at his players - eventually the message gets tuned out.

Both "sides" ultimately want the same thing - to see the Ottawa Senators lift the Stanley Cup. I feel like that gets lost in the sound and fury sometimes.

I think the problem is, if Melynk survives (financially) long enough to still be around when the Sens are playing downtown, then we'll never get rid of him. He'll have the green light to massively increase ticket prices (that will happen regardless of ownership once we're downtown), while icing a lower to mid tier payroll, continue with a skimpy front office and scouting staff, and selling off our stars as soon as they're due a big payday....forever. We'll be looking at a couple decades of mediocrity.

The pressure is on now to push Melynk to sell in the next 2-3 years so he is gone by the time the new arena opens. Reason I say 2-3 years is we know he wants that free money from Seattle, and they need to get shovels in the ground in Lebreton before a new owner pays "Lebreton-level" value for the team.

Any kind of fan boycott or revolt after Lebreton opens would fail. The downtown arena (and surrounding businesses) would generate enough non-hockey revenue on it's own to keep Eugene afloat even with crappy NHL attendance. So it's now or never.

Reactions: Sensung

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If an arena gets under construction and development in LeBreton starts up, I'll probably start going to games again regardless of whether or not he sells.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
If an arena gets under construction and development in LeBreton starts up, I'll probably start going to games again regardless of whether or not he sells.
This is why I refer to people as 50/50 "boycotters" and one foot in the water, the other one out. Leave or don't leave, what are you sticking around for? An arena that might be built 5+ years from now?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This is why I refer to people as 50/50 "boycotters" and one foot in the water, the other one out. Leave or don't leave, what are you sticking around for? An arena that might be built 5+ years from now?

Because it means in the future there will be higher revenues and a chance that more money gets spent on the team.

If an arena starts to get built it means we actually might have the start of a rebuild and not a bunch of penny pinching bullshit you and a few others have been desperate to sell as a rebuild to the rest of us.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Because it means in the future there will be higher revenues and a chance that more money gets spent on the team.

If an arena starts to get built it means we actually might have the start of a rebuild and not a bunch of penny pinching bull**** you and a few others have been desperate to sell as a rebuild to the rest of us.
Their is no correlation with money spent and winning. Especially when we WERE spending plenty the last several years and couldn't find any consistency. Last years team was spending, dressing room was broken so we we're essentially wasting money on a tonne of players.

This year we're playing better pace wise and spending less, but you just want them to spend for the sake of spending.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Their is no correlation with money spent and winning. Especially when we WERE spending plenty the last several years and couldn't find any consistency. Last years team was spending, dressing room was broken so we we're essentially wasting money on a tonne of players.

This year we're playing better pace wise and spending less, but you just want them to spend for the sake of spending.

They might be spending more in absolute terms but they've slowly slipped from being a cap ceiling team to being a cap floor team since 2006-2007. 10 years ago people on here were joking about pawning off big contracts to teams like Florida and Phoenix who could use the low salary but high cap hit to meet cap floor requirements in the 2005 Lockout CBA. Now we're the ones looking for cap hits, unable to replace Clarke McArthur who likely has his salary mostly covered by insurance because of requirements in the most recent CBA.

I don't want to spend for the sake of spending. I want a team that can keep its talent and not ship it off.

This isn't a rebuild in any sense of the word. We are drafting and then trading away that talent as soon as they're due for a big contract. That's not a rebuild. A rebuild is slowly transitioning to and keeping good young players. We are not keeping our good young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad