Build a line - what line would you have loved to seen in the NHL?

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
1995 Legionary Mikael Renberg - 1993 Cancer Boosted Mario Lemieux - 2008 Lady Byng finalist Jason Pominville

They are on average 25 years of age. What do you guys think about their chemistry?

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Marc Tardif - Gilbert Perreault - Guy Lafleur
man, would they have been sweet to watch 76ish

Kevin Stevens - Eric Lindros - Cam Neely
dream line for all those dudes who had man-crushes on power forwards in the early 90s

Paul Kariya - Butch Goring - Martin St. Louis
Gentleman's line

Brian Sutter - Brent Sutter - Duane Sutter &
Daryl Sutter - Ron Sutter - Rich Sutter
on opposing teams in the playoffs

Keith Tkachuk - Mike Modano - Joe Mullen
All-American MAGA apple pie line

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Brian Sutter - Brent Sutter - Duane Sutter &
Daryl Sutter - Ron Sutter - Rich Sutter
on opposing teams in the playoffs

would love to see a tournament where those two lines absolutely devour brett - brandon - brody sutter. hell give them lukas as a fourth guy out and they still get murdered.

and i'm not talking about talent here, though the second generation is obviously low on that too. brett and lukas play with some sutter jam, but brody and especially brandon would run into the locker room crying if they had to play against their dads.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Marc Savard -- Adam Oates -- Craig Janney

The "don't shoot" line.... they'd possess the puck all night but with no shots on goal.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Marc Savard -- Adam Oates -- Craig Janney

The "don't shoot" line.... they'd possess the puck all night but with no shots on goal.

Only if you can put them out on the ice with Tomas Kaberle and say...Brian Rafalski?

Edit: it looks like Gordie Roberts shot far less than almost any high-scoring defenseman out there, but I have no memory of his play style. He and Jeff Norton seem the most shot averse of the bunch. Kaberle also certainly shot a below average amount, but the cartoonish image some have of him might be a bit of a myth.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
They did play together a bit at Canada Cup '91 and, I thought, had some chemistry. But wasn't the story that Gretzky c.1996 didn't want Shanahan on the team, for some reason? I've never understood what that was all about...

Never heard that. Anything to elaborate on it?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Gretzky - Brett Hull

The third guy doesn't really matter, Gretzky and Hull would win all the scoring races by themselves. :thumbu:

Wrong. Gretzky and B Hull did play together in St Louis and they did not gell at all. They only lasted a handful of shifts together if memory serves me correct and it was clear they would not mesh.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I've never heard about Gretzky not wanting Shanahan on the '96 World Cup team, but I've heard that, in general, Shanahan was not well-liked by teammates.

Never heard that about Shanny to be honest. I know there was that whole thing with Craig Janney's wife (which turned into Shanny's wife). So I would suggest that Janney would have some honest things to say about the situation and Shanahan himself I would assume. But was it an issue in Detroit? Never heard that about him.

Wrong. Gretzky and B Hull did play together in St Louis and they did not gell at all. They only lasted a handful of shifts together if memory serves me correct and it was clear they would not mesh.

I always thought that never was given room to grow. Gretzky ends up on the Blues with about 20 games to go. There is no way he and Hull don't mesh if there isn't a full season to go by. Hull was the perfect formula for Gretzky. He was able to get into the open areas for one-timers. No one could find him better than Gretzky. I think that needed time to figure out.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Never heard that about Shanny to be honest. I know there was that whole thing with Craig Janney's wife (which turned into Shanny's wife). So I would suggest that Janney would have some honest things to say about the situation and Shanahan himself I would assume. But was it an issue in Detroit? Never heard that about him.

I always thought that never was given room to grow. Gretzky ends up on the Blues with about 20 games to go. There is no way he and Hull don't mesh if there isn't a full season to go by. Hull was the perfect formula for Gretzky. He was able to get into the open areas for one-timers. No one could find him better than Gretzky. I think that needed time to figure out.

Maybe maybe not, that is all conjecture, the same kind that lured and sucked people into talking about how great they would be together, the fact is that they did not mesh and thus it is not something that needs to be guessed about as the reality is that they did not.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
well let's just say that their coach wasn't exactly the most patient coach of all time

08.05334256.jpg

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This isn't accurate. They continued playing mostly together through 20 regular season games and two rounds of playoffs. While they were generally underwhelming (on a Grandpa-team of past-prime players), they did start to get better as the playoffs wore on.

I think Mike Keenan later explained it as initially a problematic match because both Wayne and Brett liked to carry the puck over the blue line. Brett liked to carry the puck in and dish off, head for the net, etc. And Wayne certainly liked to carry the puck from the red line forward. But Keenan also said that as time went on, they started clicking and getting it together. The evidence sort of bears this out, as when the Blues took a 3-2 lead in games over Detroit, they won 3-2 with Hull scoring from Gretzky and Gretzky scoring from Hull. Hull again scored from Gretzky in game six, but it wasn't enough. I think they would have been pretty good with more time to work it out. 20 games and a short playoff run with nutball-Keenan behind the bench isn't really a large enough sample.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I've never heard about Gretzky not wanting Shanahan on the '96 World Cup team, but I've heard that, in general, Shanahan was not well-liked by teammates.
I think what I heard was that Gretzky didn't want Shanahan on the Rangers.... or, I may be mis-remembering. Someone out there knows!

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This isn't accurate. They continued playing mostly together through 20 regular season games and two rounds of playoffs. While they were generally underwhelming (on a Grandpa-team of past-prime players), they did start to get better as the playoffs wore on.

I think Mike Keenan later explained it as initially a problematic match because both Wayne and Brett liked to carry the puck over the blue line. Brett liked to carry the puck in and dish off, head for the net, etc. And Wayne certainly liked to carry the puck from the red line forward. But Keenan also said that as time went on, they started clicking and getting it together. The evidence sort of bears this out, as when the Blues took a 3-2 lead in games over Detroit, they won 3-2 with Hull scoring from Gretzky and Gretzky scoring from Hull. Hull again scored from Gretzky in game six, but it wasn't enough. I think they would have been pretty good with more time to work it out. 20 games and a short playoff run with nutball-Keenan behind the bench isn't really a large enough sample.

They didn't mesh.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

They played more than a handful of shifts together. They played a lot together. But the chemistry was never really there and Hull even said later on that he never really gelled with Gretzky. But they did hook up for some goals together while they were teammates. It wasn't a complete bust.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Vladimir Krutov - Phil Esposito - Jaromir Jagr
tank line

Bobby Hull - Dale Hawerchuk - Teemu Selanne
ultimate Jets dream line

Eddie Shack - Derek Sanderson - Pavel Bure
clear the track!

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Bure - Crosby - Tikkanen just popped in to my mind for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad