Post-Game Talk: Buffalo. What else is new?

member 262271

Perhaps the "best in sports science" are fine with it. Why is it assumed that they would ignore this advice?
It was moreso a hypothetical, I wasn't saying anything definitively. Upon some more thought, it could also be management seeing if Freddy can handle a full workload. To that point he's still a few games off of his 66 GP last year.

member 262271

Maybe the sports scientists have found GP doesn't impact goalies. A players workload is much different.
I think about the number of shots he faces a lot more than GP. Shots faced is pretty much tied to fatigue you'd think.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
you mean, when he suffered a concussion?
most people have said (who has had one) it takes them a year (at least) to feel normal (this is including Crosby)

So this is how I see it.
Z has concussion cobwebs in his head (maybe)
He has a new baby which throws things off
He has is a second year NHL player (regardless of his age and previous experience in the KHL, we can all admit the NHL is a way different beast)
He admitted early in the season he didn't feel good because he could tell his play was lacking
the leafs (as a team) went into some sort of malaise (and then he breaks his foot).
the team gets better and hot and sexy - and he's not there.
he gets back and all his woes are compounded because the team is better and he is not AND he's dealing with his foot issue (which, having a fractured ankle - that takes a very long time to recover from too).
He then gets the flu which drags on even when you are better.

I will be consistent and say if you are playing you're 'healthy' and if people want to go he had a bad game (which he had i said it) that's fine, because it's true. But I think - and again, my main point - of just overall crapping on the guy and thinking that he's garbage , or he's a waste or it's horrible we have him for the length of time is over-reacting and just wrong (in my opinion). I don't think so. Now I could be horrendous wrong, but I do think we have the management to make it disappear (ie: he goes back to russia, or something, or dissolve the contract) so it's not even as drama as people make it out to be

we just need to be paitent

Wow, well said. I was not aware of him having a new baby (God knows I know how much that f***s you up). You clearly know way more about Zaitsev's situation than me (no sarcasm intended), and I'm definitely willing to give him more than the benefit of the doubt after reading your post.

It is really easy to blame players. I will definitely own up to that. However, I think my perspective is that often it is also coaches and management putting him in situations that are just not reasonable. That is the issue I have with this situation. If what you are saying is truly the case, I wish they would have just done whatever they could to give him another player on the back-end to take the pressure off. Given him more time to work through the concussion issues, and given him a chance to regain that swagger we saw at the beginning of last season.

You are definitely one of the best posters on here, and I will definitely concede. Not sure what you do for a living, but you should really consider being a player agent. :thumbu: :laugh:

I do think we agree that Z is not being treated fairly, but I think that isn't just us fans. So I think we are on the same page.

Cheers.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's just one of those things. Buffalo sees us as a real rival, and we don't see them that way, they come at us harder than we go at them. It's strange but it seems to be the reality of the situation.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
They had really good goal tending and we missed the net too often. You're not going to win every game, forget it and move on.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
It's just one of those things. Buffalo sees us as a real rival, and we don't see them that way, they come at us harder than we go at them. It's strange but it seems to be the reality of the situation.

Whats funny is I don't remember the Leafs being like that to any team when we were terrible. Boston, Buffalo, Montreal all destroyed us most nights. Maybe Ottawa?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Whats funny is I don't remember the Leafs being like that to any team when we were terrible. Boston, Buffalo, Montreal all destroyed us most nights. Maybe Ottawa?
We usually gave Montreal a run for their money, win or lose we put up a fight.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wow, well said. I was not aware of him having a new baby (God knows I know how much that ****s you up). You clearly know way more about Zaitsev's situation than me (no sarcasm intended), and I'm definitely willing to give him more than the benefit of the doubt after reading your post.

It is really easy to blame players. I will definitely own up to that. However, I think my perspective is that often it is also coaches and management putting him in situations that are just not reasonable. That is the issue I have with this situation. If what you are saying is truly the case, I wish they would have just done whatever they could to give him another player on the back-end to take the pressure off. Given him more time to work through the concussion issues, and given him a chance to regain that swagger we saw at the beginning of last season.

You are definitely one of the best posters on here, and I will definitely concede. Not sure what you do for a living, but you should really consider being a player agent. :thumbu: :laugh:

I do think we agree that Z is not being treated fairly, but I think that isn't just us fans. So I think we are on the same page.

Cheers.

lol no worries. i mean, sometimes i usually speak when i think when it comes to player issues (esp. if it's not leaf related, or if i'm upset or whatever, so i get how easy it can be to be all 'he sucks'. and the running joke is generally once I give up on them, there's no hope, because for the most part I've got a pretty long fuse for players. (I'm listening on the radio, and they were like the leafs are saying he lost 4-5 lbs but Poulin, O'Neil and Ferraro thinks he's at least 15-20lbs lighter (which could really mess you up as well).

I was one cranky Daisy when Lou didn't pull a trigger for someone (anyone), but most of the targets, those GMs didn't do anything and people didn't wanna overpay for McDonagh so... I don't know what Lou could do with that.

I think it's a general thing. (when you get concussed) like the symptoms etc are gone but i've heard Nash say it's like being in a fog like all the time. You can't take a year off (unless you're like established), so you just play and hope it feels better soon. (same with your ankle. mine feels like crap. ALL the time). I just read papers etc, so that's how I know this stuff, :) like. for me, he gets the mulligan. I know a lot of stats people feel he didn't play well last year, - I disagree but i'm not going into that fight. I think that Babcock is doing his nurturing "he'll get his crap together." routine like he did with a lot of the rookies etc last year - and I don't think that rope is there next year (in my opinion).

thanks for your compliment. LOL but i'm v. much team owner/management for the most part so i don't think agents would want me around haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad