Post-Game Talk: Buffalo. What else is new?

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
Where are those studies? That seems wildly counter intuitive. Most of these rate stats should be more difficult to maintain at a high level when the quantity is significantly higher
Actually, studies on this has shown that shot amount has generally no effect, but that quite a few goaltenders perform better with a bigger workload.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
These games are sort of meaningless. We have enough games left to ensure that we'll set a franchise record for wins.

All I want is for Freddy to get back in form and for the team to stay healthy going into the playoffs.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Buf's goalie played great and had a little luck. Can't win them all.....that being said when they were down and pushing to tie in the second period I thought they became a little loose. Eichel's first goal he can-opener Mathews a little, I was surprised at that no call. Other than that, was a pretty good night.

Reactions: ULF_55

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
For me it was a combination of a few things:

1. Buffalo is better than their record shows. Eichel is going to be a star player in this league. He's been out for so many games this season. Full season healthy and the Sabres would have at least 10 more wins. He was arguably better than our golden boy last night.

2. Zaitsev is not 100%, and even at 100% should not be out there defending Eichel. Signing him long term was a mistake, and unfortunately we will be paying 4.5 million per year for a #5 defender. Ever since his injury late last season, he is afraid of contact. The fact that ROMAN POLAK was two times the defender he was last night says something.

3. With the above statement being true in my opinion, Dermott should be second pairing with Gardiner. Again, it sucks playing a 4.5 million dollar player bottom pairing with Polak, but that is what would be best for the team. Because we didn't go out and get another d-man, we will be depending on a 21 year old to come up big in these playoffs, and I hope Babs recognizes that.

4. We have too many players who think they are snipers. Way too many shots missing the net due to the fact that everyone on the team thinks they can snipe. Just put the puck on the f***in' net, and let JVR and Matthews clean up the rebounds. This, or get the puck into the slot. The amount of "skate up the wing and wrist it just past the outside post, causing the puck to ricochet off the boards and out of the zone" just kills the offence.

I'm now a bit frustrated that if we were going to keep JVR, we should have at least picked up a #3 or #4 defender with playoff experience at the deadline. A guy like Hjalmarsson would have been perfect. I think Boston is going to eat our lunch, be it in the 1st or 2nd round.

Reactions: FlareKnight

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The Leafs outplayed Buffalo (41- 27) in shots. I guess it was due because the game against Detroit the Leafs were outplayed, but won.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews was great this game. but he got bettered by Eichel who won the battle of the stud young USA centres as Jack lead his team to victory.

Despite Buffalo being last in the NHL, it still proves that on any given night any team can beat any team.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Where are those studies? That seems wildly counter intuitive. Most of these rate stats should be more difficult to maintain at a high level when the quantity is significantly higher
Why so? High shot count correlates with more low percentage shots, and allows goaltenders to stay involved instead of standing cold.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am not the biggest person to be all "eat the crow" but I can not wait until Z comes back next year and shows everyone up. it drives me insane how some players on this team can have yucky years and it's "it's okay, he'll be fine." but when it's players y'all don't like it's all, it's a mistake, he's horrible, we're stuck with him.

the guy had a crap year from start to finish, it sucks, but it happens, but geeze marie, some support his way would go so far.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
For me it was a combination of a few things:

1. Buffalo is better than their record shows. Eichel is going to be a star player in this league. He's been out for so many games this season. Full season healthy and the Sabres would have at least 10 more wins. He was arguably better than our golden boy last night.

2. Zaitsev is not 100%, and even at 100% should not be out there defending Eichel. Signing him long term was a mistake, and unfortunately we will be paying 4.5 million per year for a #5 defender. Ever since his injury late last season, he is afraid of contact. The fact that ROMAN POLAK was two times the defender he was last night says something.

3. With the above statement being true in my opinion, Dermott should be second pairing with Gardiner. Again, it sucks playing a 4.5 million dollar player bottom pairing with Polak, but that is what would be best for the team. Because we didn't go out and get another d-man, we will be depending on a 21 year old to come up big in these playoffs, and I hope Babs recognizes that.

4. We have too many players who think they are snipers. Way too many shots missing the net due to the fact that everyone on the team thinks they can snipe. Just put the puck on the ****in' net, and let JVR and Matthews clean up the rebounds. This, or get the puck into the slot. The amount of "skate up the wing and wrist it just past the outside post, causing the puck to ricochet off the boards and out of the zone" just kills the offence.

I'm now a bit frustrated that if we were going to keep JVR, we should have at least picked up a #3 or #4 defender with playoff experience at the deadline. A guy like Hjalmarsson would have been perfect. I think Boston is going to eat our lunch, be it in the 1st or 2nd round.

1. Buffalo is not better than their record shows. They're a very bad team. It showed immensely last night. Look at the stats and charts - they were heavily dominated and Johnson pretty much stole the game for them. Eichel is a damn good player no doubt, but Auston had a good game too - I don't know why so many fans think he didn't have a good game, maybe because he didn't score? Fine line for sure. If he scores off of the shot that hit the post, maybe we're talking about something else.

Either way, Buffalo being 31st, playing for jobs and contracts had extra desperation to play hard. Babcock said it before the game that they would be ready for us, so I wasn't surprised at all. We started off great it could have easily been 2-0 for us within the first 3 minutes, but that's how hockey goes sometimes. They get a nice break and Eichel gets his 1st and then things changed for a bit and then we started dominating again which led to 2 quick goals. We were unfortunate this game to not have at least 6-7 goals.

2. Z is not 100% you are right - but an NHL player has to play in games to improve, develop, get back into game-shape, etc. He has lost a lot of strength/weight from the flu so I can't evaluate his game on that aspect, I know if that play on Eichel happens last year he is getting rubbed out by Z just like Polak did to Eichel earlier in the game. Z has had his moments in the last few games he's got back. He looked really good in some points and then obviously last night didn't look the greatest, but even Fred would tell you he should have that goal back - so it's on both of them. Regarding his contract - how can you say it's a mistake from such a small sample size. We can say he got this contract largely due to how he played last year + some potential to marginally improve in the coming years. He had his first kid this year before the season and has had to deal with being a father, which arguably is harder than being a hockey player ;). Second, he was dealing with a broken foot. Those are brutal injuries because once you come back it's like you are learning to skate all over again. My point is, he's had one good year, and one not-so good year - that doesn't make the contract a mistake.

3. We didn't get another d-man because the price was too high (McDonagh, Hjalmarsson, OEL, etc) but when you have a great developmental program in place you can use your own developed players to play roles on your big team.

4. We were off last night - it wasn't the norm. We don't miss that many shots on the regular. But I agree with this point - too many missed shots last night.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
These games are sort of meaningless. We have enough games left to ensure that we'll set a franchise record for wins.

All I want is for Freddy to get back in form and for the team to stay healthy going into the playoffs.

I still don't like blowing 2 3rd period leads in like a week. Hopefully that'll get cleaned up.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
how did reamer get such a cult following? I don't get it, a very average goalie and people are pining for him instead of the elite #1 we have. I think its the fake nice guy act he put on, his aw shucks Manitoba lad persona which would fall away as soon as he was critiqued
It's truly fascinating how a select few in this fanbase continues to worship a career NHL backup. Interesting note about Reimer, this year he has set a career high of 43 GP, besting his 37 starts he had in his very first season as a Leaf.

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
Why so? High shot count correlates with more low percentage shots, and allows goaltenders to stay involved instead of standing cold.

high shot count generally (i'd guess) is directly related to more possession, which means more opportunities for defensive breakdowns, the inevitable mistake somewhere that leads to a penalty (and thus more high danger shots against), etc

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yes, but that's gotta stop. What if they get their **** together and we see them in the playoffs in the next couple of years? It's very possible with this divisional format.

well they have beaten Buffalo in Buffalo and at home. I think honestly if they get their crap together, it would be more benefical for the Leafs. honestly, (and we're seeing it all over so it's not just a Leafs thing), i think some teams are bored. we can say whatever we want and what we want to see and they should work on stuff (and i think the older they get the better they will be at that) but if we can't get up for a Buffalo game, Im pretty sure it is for players as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad