Speculation: Buffalo Trading up in the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Carl Lewis was the best sprinter in the world at one time... and he would come in last place in a 100m race today.

Im not much for nostalgia

Usually inherent in any cross-era comparison is the assumption that the older player would have access to the same training, equipment, and doping as the modern player. Otherwise you end up with meaningless **** like Tyler Ennis being a better player than Maurice Richard.

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
right, so all you've got are a bunch of subjective statements...

i'd also love to know where you came up with that 80% figure...

Study done by John Elkin that he shared with me, and they aren't subjective watch the two of them play and compare. You can see all of the things I mentioned demonstrated in their games. People that actually know the position will agree with me 9 times out of 10. Stats do not tell the full story of a player and you of all people should know that.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Carl Lewis was the best sprinter in the world at one time... and he would come in last place in a 100m race today.

Im not much for nostalgia

COMPLETELY different. Running is running. Once you get better athletes (natural ability + training) that's that, it's all about a simple athletic exercise. If you're the best athlete in the world for running then that more or less sews it up.

Hockey is nothing like running. The sport evolves constantly. Being a great athlete isn't even the best asset you can have. Drop Lidstrom in Bobby Orr's world and he would NOT dominate the league the way Bobby Orr did. Drop Bobby Orr in Lidstrom's world and he'd likely be the best player in the league if he were on the same conditioning regime as everyone else. That's hypothetical though, and it's not fair to either player nor is it a sensible way to look at things. If you look at the players relative to the league at the time it's a joke to even have this conversation.

Are you saying if Wayne Gretzky came around today he'd not be dominant? Like he wouldn't be able to master the dark art of the composite stick or have a bit more intensive workouts over the summer? Is there some aspect of the game he just wouldn't be able to wrap his head around in this new strange world? C'mon.

This argument only makes sense if Lidstrom absolutely dominated his peers. This argument is for guys like Wayne Gretzky and Super Mario. Lidstrom doesn't belong in it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Study done by John Elkin that he shared with me, and they aren't subjective watch the two of them play and compare. You can see all of the things I mentioned demonstrated in their games. People that actually know the position will agree with me 9 times out of 10. Stats do not tell the full story of a player and you of all people should know that.

do you not know what "subjective" means?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
COMPLETELY different. Running is running. Once you get better athletes (natural ability + training) that's that, it's all about a simple athletic exercise. If you're the best athlete in the world for running then that more or less sews it up.

Hockey is nothing like running. The sport evolves constantly. Being a great athlete isn't even the best asset you can have. Drop Lidstrom in Bobby Orr's world and he would NOT dominate the league the way Bobby Orr did. Drop Bobby Orr in Lidstrom's world and he'd likely be the best player in the league if he were on the same conditioning regime as everyone else. That's hypothetical though, and it's not fair to either player nor is it a sensible way to look at things. If you look at the players relative to the league at the time it's a joke to even have this conversation.

Are you saying if Wayne Gretzky came around today he'd not be dominant? Like he wouldn't be able to master the dark art of the composite stick or have a bit more intensive workouts over the summer? Is there some aspect of the game he just wouldn't be able to wrap his head around in this new strange world? C'mon.

This argument only makes sense if Lidstrom absolutely dominated his peers. This argument is for guys like Wayne Gretzky and Super Mario. Lidstrom doesn't belong in it.

first of all, i would argue the complete opposite (the bolded)
second, it doesn't matter
third, I think Lidstrom is in that select group that you put gretzky and mario in

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
Yes and apparently you don't know how to read between the lines. Saying it is evident and it is not an opinion demonstrates that I understand the meaning of the word. Is it an opinion or a fact that crosby has better vision than say vanek...no watch the game and you will see. Both good but it is not an opinion.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yes and apparently you don't know how to read between the lines. Saying it is evident and it is not an opinion demonstrates that I understand the meaning of the word. Is it an opinion or a fact that crosby has better vision than say vanek...no watch the game and you will see. Both good but it is not an opinion.

thanks for clarifying that you don't know what subjective means

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
Please elaborate on both of your current opinions. I would love to hear how Lidstrom is better than Orr and Thomas better than Miller. I'm very curious how you could possibly sell this.

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
Subjective-Based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

Sorry that is exactly what it means, clearly you do not know how to use the word. I guess you are the one reading at a 3rd grade level.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Please elaborate on both of your current opinions. I would love to hear how Lidstrom is better than Orr and Thomas better than Miller. I'm very curious how you could possibly sell this.

Go float a Tim Thomas v Ryan Miller poll on the main board, see how it turns out. My bet is 75-25 for Thomas.
Thomas has better stats, more accolades, plays better in the clutch, sets the record for most saves in any playoffs and in any finals (objectively suggesting it was not all the Bruins shutting down their opponents), and subjectively, has better instincts, is faster and more reflexive, shuts down the bottom of the net better and allowed fewer soft goals. But this isn't the kind of thing you can prove, any more than you can prove Roy v Hasek. You can just pick arguments and compare stats.

As for Lidstrom v Orr, it all depends on your presumptions. If you assume Orr would have been a better athlete than anyone was back then if you put him in today's game, then you've presumed away the legitimacy of the question. Today's fastest skaters are faster, their shots harder, their bodies stronger and goalies are just a completely different animal altogether. If you dropped Bobby Orr into today's game directly (I mean, sure, give him the right pads and sticks), I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was knocked down several pegs. If you insist on presuming that if Bobby Orr was born in the 80s he'd have developed into a better player than he was, that's fine, but you're presuming away the question.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Sidney Crosby sucks. He hasn't scored 100 points in 3 seasons now. Only the last 3 seasons count right?

1.6 pts per game over the last 3 years
131 pts per 82 game pace

he's actually gotten better... but the MAJOR head injury did derail parts of 3 seasons

nice try though

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
sonnebunny, the kinds of things you're describing aren't objective. Stats are objective. Things that can be measured and put into data are objective. "This guy has a better butterfly than that guy" is subjective. Subjective means different people can see the same thing and disagree. We can't disagree about how many goals Vanek scores, but we can disagree about who has a better shot.

Use this knowledge wisely.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Real talk grouping several small samples is not the same as one larger sample

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad