Player Discussion Buffalo Pickers - The Search For Serviceable Defensemen, Summer of '23 Edition

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I have no problem with Boosh. Just speculating why they may feel that way (if they even do). He averaged only 9mins a game during the final playoff push.
Well, if we get Pesce, I don't mind trade Boosh, otherwise he could come in handy for better depth.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Stillman might be the 3rd pairing LHD even if Joker doesn't get traded. While it's well established that Dahlin/Sammy/Power are all kind of "positionless"............I don't think that Joker can play his off-side very well at all.

If EJ can play the left-side well enough, maybe he and Joker form a bit of positionless pair.......but it's FAR FAR FAR easier for a lefty to play both sides than a righty.

I really hope not. Stillman is a #8 guy or maybe a #6. We have some depth, and the easier answer is to wave Bryson. No one will touch the guy at $1.85 M. If we get Pesce or some other guy, then we can trade some depth. Not before. It's nutty to trade depth.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Well, if we get Pesce, I don't mind trade Boosh, otherwise he could come in handy for better depth.
Something has to give with 9 NHL dmen. Bryson can be waived to the minors. I think he’d get through. That leaves 8 dmen. I‘m not sure they go with that unless they sort out the 3 goalie situation.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I have no problem with Boosh. Just speculating why they may feel that way (if they even do). He averaged only 9mins a game during the final playoff push.
Yea, that's how I got to Bryson/Boosh too. The push was telling. It's why Olofsson's on the block, and why we signed 2 dmen within an hour of free agency.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Something has to give with 9 NHL dmen. Bryson can be waived to the minors. I think he’d get through. That leaves 8 dmen. I‘m not sure they go with that unless they sort out the 3 goalie situation.
and that's now interesting, unlike last season, because there's an actual d comp in Rochester.

Johnson Prow is the top pair, Johnson replacing Pilut, and I'd wager he shows to be better than Bryson as early as training camp.

Davies Cecconi played real well as the shutdown pair in the run, and bringing them back gets Roch rare stability at a spot.

Novikov Metsa rounds it out on the bottom pair. Novikov is a prospect people are real excited about, and even though Metsa has an AHL only deal, he played well enough in the playoffs to get to the top pair when Prow was out (and I wouldn't be surprised if Metsa upgrades to a NHL deal before 23-24 is done).

This is my long rambling way of saying, Bryson doesn't have an easy spot to just go in. Gotta wait to see someone struggle first.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Adams said he was fine with going into training camp with nine defensemen. Maybe they're going to go into the season with 8 D, although I'm not sure about that.

I also expect Adams to possibly trade both UPL and Comrie when he gets goalie in tandem with Levi. Tokarski looks like the number three and starter in Rochester and no one will play with three goaltenders because it's so inefficient.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
and that's now interesting, unlike last season, because there's an actual d comp in Rochester.

Johnson Prow is the top pair, Johnson replacing Pilut, and I'd wager he shows to be better than Bryson as early as training camp.

Davies Cecconi played real well as the shutdown pair in the run, and bringing them back gets Roch rare stability at a spot.

Novikov Metsa rounds it out on the bottom pair. Novikov is a prospect people are real excited about, and even though Metsa has an AHL only deal, he played well enough in the playoffs to get to the top pair when Prow was out (and I wouldn't be surprised if Metsa upgrades to a NHL deal before 23-24 is done).

This is my long rambling way of saying, Bryson doesn't have an easy spot to just go in. Gotta wait to see someone struggle first.
They played a lot with 7 dmen. I‘m sure Appert can figure it out.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I've wondered if that reflects more of their feelings about Boosh, or if it's how they felt about his partners. If they trade him him I guess that answers my question.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Adams said he was fine with going into training camp with nine defensemen. Maybe they're going to go into the season with 8 D, although I'm not sure about that.

I also expect Adams to possibly trade both UPL and Comrie when he gets goalie in tandem with Levi. Tokarski looks like the number three and starter in Rochester and no one will play with three goaltenders because it's so inefficient.
It’s certainly possible we start the season with 8 dmen. We can also start it with 3 goalies. Its not ideal but Adams said he was open to it.

Adam’s comments this offseason indicate he‘s open to a lot of possible scenarios. We just have to wait and see how things play out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I've wondered if that reflects more of their feelings about Boosh, or if it's how they felt about his partners. If they trade him him I guess that answers my question.
Probably a bit of both. But if they had more faith in him he could have cycled into the top 4 at times for extra shifts. Most likely for Joker who was getting 20+mins a night at 5v5 during that stretch.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It’s certainly possible we start the season with 8 dmen. We can also start it with 3 goalies. Its not ideal but Adams said he was open to it.

Adam’s comments this offseason indicate he‘s open to a lot of possible scenarios. We just have to wait and see how things play out.

When talking about the regular season roster, I'd hope it would be one or the other, but not both. 8 dmen and 3 goalies would mean no extra forwards and less practice time for the goalies.

That being said I take Adams at his word, I don't think they have any problem taking 3 goalies and even 9 dmen into camp. I know these boards and social media with break out the pitchforks, but letting the competition play out before deciding who to trade would be smart.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
When talking about the regular season roster, I'd hope it would be one or the other, but not both. 8 dmen and 3 goalies would mean no extra forwards and less practice time for the goalies.

That being said I take Adams at his word, I don't think they have any problem taking 3 goalies and even 9 dmen into camp. I know these boards and social media with break out the pitchforks, but letting the competition play out before deciding who to trade would be smart.
I wasn’t suggesting he would do both going into the season. Just that he is open to various possibilities. 8 dmen or 3 goalies are two of them.

Right now they need a forward. Quinn being out puts them at 12.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@Fjordy

I’ve been listening to the Maintenance Podcast.

Lance didn’t say they were looking to trade Boosh. He said teams might be interested in him based on his contract and what would Buffalo be willing to do. He later speculated could get a forward for him. Not that they were looking to use him to get one.

It was all just speculation. He also said he felt they’d start the season with 8 dmen.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
@Fjordy

I’ve been listening to the Maintenance Podcast.

Lance didn’t say they were looking to trade Boosh. He said teams might be interested in him based on his contract and what would Buffalo be willing to do. He later speculated could get a forward for him. Not that they were looking to use him to get one.

It was all just speculation. He also said he felt they’d start the season with 8 dmen.
I see, well, quite possibly one of Boosh and Jokiharju will gone. Jokiharju is younger and he is RFA, Boosh is older and plays in a different style in the same year from UFA. Perhaps a playoff team would have preferred Boosh for their third pair, while San Jose, Anaheim or Philadelphia would have preferred Jokiharju.

Also I don't think they will start season with three goalies.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think Johnson will be similar to Samuelsson, and come up to the Sabres late, and never go back.

Pretty good chance that happens. This team is going to have some very tough decisions next year with a logjam with defensemen and forwards. You’re gonna have Kulich, Savoie, benson, Johnson, and novikov all pushing for spots

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Then: We need more right-shot defensemen, including a partner for Power.
Now: What are we going to do with all these right-shot defensemen?

I'll be giddy if Adams manages to add Pesce to the mix.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
For the love of the straw man…people aren’t saying they needed to get Cale Makar to pair with Power…they’re saying the least Adams needed to do was acquire someone who has proven they can handle 20+ minutes night in and night out. Because the person who plays with Power needs to be a minute eater. He didn’t.
The irony of decrying the straw man by putting up a straw man argument.

thelimit39

Oct 6, 2020
I highly doubt they go out and get a dman like Pesce. The way things stand right now 90-95 minutes are allocated to Dahlin, Power, Sammy and Clifton. That leaves approximately 25-30 for your bottom pair. Getting Pesce bumps Clifton down to the 3rd pairing, and I don't think they signed him to play less than 15 minutes a game.

Looks like instead they are mitigating any significant downgrade due to injuries. When/if everyone is healthy, they will cycle in Joker, Boosh, Stillman and Johnson to keep them fresh/go with the hot hand. It also leaves them with options to improve the team through trade over the course of the year.

I like this strategy mainly because they have two horses in Dahlin and Power. It allows them to invest elsewhere. Prior to the Clifton signing I'm sure they were in on Pesce, but I'm guessing the cost was prohibitive.

The way I see them having a talent upgrade is if the younger Johnson impresses and forces a call up.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I say this while acknowledging that Adams is more than likely done adding to the defense:

If Adams is looking to add to the defense.......I'd much rather him look for an LHD that is an upgrade to Stillman. And boy is there not much currently out there. Dermott? Caleb Jones?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I say this while acknowledging that Adams is more than likely done adding to the defense:

If Adams is looking to add to the defense.......I'd much rather him look for an LHD that is an upgrade to Stillman. And boy is there not much currently out there. Dermott? Caleb Jones?

Six bottom pair d-men is enough.

Reactions: Willgamesh

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA

I doubt Adams is looking to upgrade Stillman already when he just acquired him at the deadline. Give him this year to see what he can do first, than possibly look into an upgrade.

I didn't mind Stillman at all on the bottom pair. Don't see a legitimate reason to sit/replace him yet.

Reactions: HOOats and BUCKSHOT

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I wish the endless hand wringing would stop already; Pesce isn’t coming here because of his NTC. It doesn’t matter what he offers Carolina if Pesce can just block it.

Hanifin is a lefty and isn’t know to be great defensively when not paired with a Tanev type.

What other Top 4 guys are even being talked about?

Clifton works for this year; EJ is here for experience and Clifton will get a legit shot at 2RHD and even if he falls short, he may still be better than what we had as well highly effective as our 3RHD next year.

Some of you guys would never be happy regardless of what KA did.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I wish the endless hand wringing would stop already; Pesce isn’t coming here because of his NTC. It doesn’t matter what he offers Carolina if Pesce can just block it.

Hanifin is a lefty and isn’t know to be great defensively when not paired with a Tanev type.

What other Top 4 guys are even being talked about?

Clifton works for this year; EJ is here for experience and Clifton will get a legit shot at 2RHD and even if he falls short, he may still be better than what we had as well highly effective as our 3RHD next year.

Some of you guys would never be happy regardless of what KA did.
I disagree. There are people who only criticize Adams, but on the contrary, they always protect him and say that he does everything perfectly, which is also unfair and wrong. You have to be objective. Adams is far from perfect, but at the same time I like him and most of his actions look logical and good, but there are also moments where he seems to me to be wrong, maybe he lacks experience or something else, but for now, as it is.

Reactions: BFLO and Beerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad