Player Discussion Buffalo Pickers - The Search For Serviceable Defensemen, Summer of '23 Edition

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So the blueline has been strained this year whenever part of their top two pairings have been out. The jumble gets worse when the injuries get compounded. They have one possible signee in Johnson whose season is still probably a three weeks to a month from being over right now, but looking out into the summer... these things aren't going to be fixed by UFA spending alone.

So I thought maybe we could do for the defense the same thing that we've done with the goaltending (again... *sigh*) and take a dive into who they might find or more specifically who we would like to see. I know I've been sifting through some draftees going back to about 2015, trying to find someone who is 26 or younger and might be under-utilized by their current team either in the NHL or down in the AHL or even not yet signed (think Marino moving to the Penguins).

There is internal on their protected list are draftees - Ryan Johnson if he signs, Komarov, Novikov (under KHL contract), Lindgren, Albert Lyckåsen, and Philip Nyberg.

That's not a list that inspires a lot of confidence for near-term improvement though we'll know sooner if Johnson is coming in or not. The rest are either a ways off or still need development time (Komarov, Lindgren) or are distant longshots at this point (Lyckasen, Nyberg).

Nearer term guys might be in the guise of collegiate UDFA:

Jake Livingstone from Minnesota St., Sam Malinski from Cornell, Zack Metsa who was at dev camp from Quinnipiac, Jacob Bengtsson from LSSU, Colton Huard from UNH...

It's a mixed bag, without a slamdunk like Whitecloud was when he came out.

European UDFA's:

Hardy Haman Aktell from Vaxjo in the SHL, LHD; Grigori Dronov from Magnitogorsk in the KHL, LHD; Valtteri Pulli from TPS in the Finnish Liiga, also LHD... I'm sure there are more just those have come up in the various articles and chatter.

NHL UFA's... that's a list. I sorted this on Capfriendly by UFA's who are free agents this summer: 2022-23 Active NHL Players - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

And then there is trade. Small trade, big trade... something. That could be anyone.

Who do you have and what are the pros and cons of that player or players coming in? Do we see them making multiple moves or just one? How much is Johnson's situation going to impact this if at all?

I got tired of talking about goalies... :D

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
There's Uvis Janis Balinskis from my home country. I heard rumours that some teams are interested. He plays in Czech Extraliga .Doing quite well this year. Edit: was thinking there' another team in Buffalo :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There's Uvis Janis Balinskis from my home country. I heard rumours that some teams are interested. He plays in Czech Extraliga .Doing quite well this year. Edit: was thinking there' another team in Buffalo :laugh:

Czech league leading scorer among defensemen, though it looks like his deal runs through next season. Would he have a North American out?

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Is there a Saros + Ryan McDonagh package I wonder. The wonder of course is if McDonagh still has it

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I wonder if we could get Jensen from the Caps. Plays RHD, wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg
Seems like a no-go as he just re-upped. Pretty strong indicator that he's not moving. I know there's a ton of guys out there that @Chainshot and others know more about, but I simply assume they don't move the needle as top-4 candidates. I'll happily settle for Johnson as the eventual 3rd LHD, but we need a legit 2nd pair RHD this summer. It's a bigger need than goalie imo. Probably has to come via trade...who knows who could be available.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is there a Saros + Ryan McDonagh package I wonder. The wonder of course is if McDonagh still has it

Three years left after this, NTC, family... not sure he's down for moving to Buffalo honestly, no matter how hard Girardi pleads.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Seems like a no-go as he just re-upped. Pretty strong indicator that he's not moving. I know there's a ton of guys out there that @Chainshot and others know more about, but I simply assume they don't move the needle as top-4 candidates. I'll happily settle for Johnson as the eventual 3rd LHD, but we need a legit 2nd pair RHD this summer. It's a bigger need than goalie imo. Probably has to come via trade...who knows who could be available.
Dang. Didn’t see he’d done that.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
For me, my number 1 target is Mayfield if he makes it to free agency.

Then I approach Winnipeg and try to workout a Stanley + Gustafsson for Victor and whatever trade.

Then I approach Columbus about a Peeke for Joker swap.

And then I look at signing Mikkola or Gavrikov.

Kjell 2.0 - Dahlin
Power - Mayfield/Peeke
Stanley/Gavrikov/Mikkola - Gummy Bear
One of the above - Stillman

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
For me, my number 1 target is Mayfield if he makes it to free agency.

Then I approach Winnipeg and try to workout a Stanley + Gustafsson for Victor and whatever trade.

Then I approach Columbus about a Peeke for Joker swap.

And then I look at signing Mikkola or Gavrikov.

Kjell 2.0 - Dahlin
Power - Mayfield/Peeke
Stanley/Gavrikov/Mikkola - Gummy Bear
One of the above - Stillman
Stanley and Peeke are not good. Peeke is at least better than Joker but his new contract is too much.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Which is why I have Stanley on the third pair. It’s also odd that he’s not physical in the NHL but was a hitting machine in the OHL.

He has a hard time keeping up at this level so he doesn't get a lot of contact, his recent tackle of Kaprizov aside.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
With Borgen rumored to be available if Kraken could upgrade I think he's a good target.
That said I don't think we'll upgrade anyone, it's unlikely Adams changes his philosophy. I bet the consider Jokiharju a top 4 guy and that Johnson us all that we need for the bottom pairing.
Sure sucks to be a Sabres fan.

Reactions: Jacob582

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
With Borgen rumored to be available if Kraken could upgrade I think he's a good target.
That said I don't think we'll upgrade anyone, it's unlikely Adams changes his philosophy. I bet the consider Jokiharju a top 4 guy and that Johnson us all that we need for the bottom pairing.
Sure sucks to be a Sabres fan.
The funny thing is though, it’s not possible to draft a D-first defensemen in his mid to late 20s. I wonder if anyone pointed out to KA that he has a whole in his plan to fill the team through draft alone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1st 23
UPL
Joker
Rosen
Olofsson

For

Saros
McDonagh
Sissons

Looking just at McDonagh, he just waived his NTC to go to Nashville. I don't see him waiving again to come to Buffalo, not to relocate his family again a year after that last trade. He had input on going to the Preds.

Reactions: Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad