Proposal: Buffalo/Ottawa

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It’s not that bad and Buffalo would add pieces to that.

But you gotta think Ottawa will want a big pile of assets do it looks more impressive. And zero chance they get right before Risto’s deal runs.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I would not care for the deal. Too much money tied up and while EK is a tremendous player Sabres also need snarl on D and Risto gives that.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
yea, as a Sabres fan, you can keep Karlsson. Hell of a player, but not worth the assets we'd have to give up. We went through this with Tim Murray, someone else can have Karlsson, we'll keep our assets. But thanks for thinking of us.

Reactions: topshelf15

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Eichel
Karlsson
Ryan
Okposo
About 36M tied up.

To me doesn't sound that great.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Ottawa would be lucky to get this. Karlsson needs to be traded ASAP, and they get to dump Ryan, and then get a good young top 4 RHD. I would take this in a heartbeat if I were Ottawa.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
It’s not that bad and Buffalo would add pieces to that.

But you gotta think Ottawa will want a big pile of assets do it looks more impressive. And zero chance they get right before Risto’s deal runs.

Maybe, if Karlsson signed an extension first and Ryan wasn’t in the deal. But for only a year guaranteed of Karlsson and Ryan’s albatross contract thrown in? Ottawa would be lucky to get any positive value at that point, much less a good young top four RHD like Risto.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Lol, like Buffalo could afford to give Karlsson 10+ million per year with Eichel and Dahlin down the road. Plus we’d take on Ryan’s awful contract.

No no no

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Maybe, if Karlsson signed an extension first and Ryan wasn’t in the deal. But for only a year guaranteed of Karlsson and Ryan’s albatross contract thrown in? Ottawa would be lucky to get any positive value at that point, much less a good young top four RHD like Risto.

Your crazy. A year at that rate has more value than Bobby Ryan has negative. And obviously your taking a chance on locking him up, but you only do it if your confident you have a real shot.

Buffalo’s young core with him and Dahlin could entice him to stay long term.

It won’t happen, but not bad value.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Oh great it’s this guy again

Reactions: BigCanadian

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Yeah we're not trading the best defenseman in the league signed to an extention to a divisional rival.

Hahahahah!

Don't blame you. On the other hand Buffalo isn't giving you a ton of there best young assets to obtain 18 million in cap. 7 of which is useless for the next 4 years. That's just absurd.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah we're not trading the best defenseman in the league signed to an extention to a divisional rival.

Hahahahah!
The only divisional rival Ottawa will have in the race to the bottom will be Montreal. The inept management in both cities pretty well guarantees that.

As to the trade, Risto is too much to gamble on the hope of re-signing Karlsson if Buffalo has to take on 4 years of Ryan @ 7.25. In fact the combined cap hit of 18.25+ should Karlsson re-up while giving up the reasonable 5.4 on a dang good D isn't good for cap management.

Not a Sabres fan but if I were I'd counter with Reinhart's RFA rights for Karlsson & a 40% retained Ryan.

Karlsson alone is worth a good package even if only for 1 year & 1st negotiation rights. Attaching the Ryan contract drops that value a lot (especially since that hit remains even if Karlsson doesn't re-sign).

Reactions: 780il

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The only divisional rival Ottawa will have in the race to the bottom will be Montreal. The inept management in both cities pretty well guarantees that.

As to the trade, Risto is too much to gamble on the hope of re-signing Karlsson if Buffalo has to take on 4 years of Ryan @ 7.25. In fact the combined cap hit of 18.25+ should Karlsson re-up while giving up the reasonable 5.4 on a dang good D isn't good for cap management.

Not a Sabres fan but if I were I'd counter with Reinhart's RFA rights for Karlsson & a 40% retained Ryan.

Karlsson alone is worth a good package even if only for 1 year & 1st negotiation rights. Attaching the Ryan contract drops that value a lot (especially since that hit remains even if Karlsson doesn't re-sign).

This.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To Buffalo Ryan + Karlsson (signed)

To Ottawa Ristolainen

Ottawa gets rid of Ryan and gets a young stud defenceman back.

Buffalo gets a perfect mentor for Dahlin and will have an elite defensive duo for the next 6-8 years, along with Eichel and several other young guns.

Karlsson would probably never agree to an extension with Buffalo, but just in terms of value.

Would either team do it?
giphy.webp

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
No thanks. We're not interested in taking on that abysmal contract in Bobby Ryan. There is also ZERO guarantee that Karlsson would sign an extension in Buffalo. This is the easiest pass yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad