Proposal: Buffalo/Ottawa

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
To Buffalo Ryan + Karlsson (signed)

To Ottawa Ristolainen

Ottawa gets rid of Ryan and gets a young stud defenceman back.

Buffalo gets a perfect mentor for Dahlin and will have an elite defensive duo for the next 6-8 years, along with Eichel and several other young guns.

Karlsson would probably never agree to an extension with Buffalo, but just in terms of value.

Would either team do it?

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Ottawa needs more coming back here if buffalo is getting a signed Karlsson, regardless if Ryan is saddled to him....

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ottawa needs more coming back here if buffalo is getting a signed Karlsson, regardless if Ryan is saddled to him....

Not at all.
If Ryan is coming with EK and Risto, a good young Dman is going to Ottawa...that seems fair to me. I bet the Sens would take that in a minute.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Not at all.
If Ryan is coming with EK and Risto, a good young Dman is going to Ottawa...that seems fair to me. I bet the Sens would take that in a minute.
I agree it's a fair deal. But don't waste your time here. Karlsson is not going to sign an extension and that would be a waste for one year. Plus it's pointless because Ottawa fans will demand Dahlin. They seem to think every team will give up their top prospects for one year of Karlsson.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Given that Karlsson only has a year left on his contract you’d have to retain a good deal on Ryan just to keep that package from having negative value. No way it gets you Risto.

You’d have to have Karlsson signed before the trade goes through to significantly raise his value, not after, and there’s no way Karlsson would do that and risk being stuck in Ottawa if the trade doesn’t go through. And even then Ryan is such a horrible contract that you’d probably have to retain 50% on him to not kill Karlsson’s return.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Lock 'er up

What an abysmal proposal for Ottawa.

Why? You clear one of the five worst contracts in the league and you're getting back a 23yo top-4 defenseman signed for four more years at a reasonable $5.4MM cap hit. It's only a bad proposal if you think Risto doesn't fit in Ottawa's timeline, or you prefer a handful of good-not-great futures in the Karlsson deal. Vegas isn't giving up Glass. Dallas isn't giving up Heiskanen. Tampa isn't giving up its top young roster players/prospects. If those teams were doing that, a deal would be done by now.

Ottawa is in a tough spot: Karlsson isn't a Sen this time next year, regardless, so nobody is giving up the farm for him. I say that with some empathy as a fan of a baseball team (Orioles) who's been in the same position for the last 9 months with its superstar (Machado). You can probably get a nice "quantity" package elsewhere, but I'd be shocked if Karlsson brings back an asset that'll more likely than not be better than Ristolainen.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Sabres cap can't afford to add Ryan and an extended Karlsson.

I'd disagree with that. If you add Karlsson ($11.5) and Ryan ($7.25), less Risto ($5.4m), you're adding about $13.4m in cap for next year. Moulson and Pominville coming off the books provides you $10.6m of that money right there. Bogosian comes off another year after that. I know you're probably apprehensive about the Dahlin extension, but we can keep him, too. I'll cross the bridge of what to do with Sam and Mitts when we come to it. In the words of Marlo Stanfield, that sounds like one of them good problems.

I just don't see how you can be given an opportunity to have the best offensive defenseman of our generation and pass on that opportunity. You make it work. A core of Karlsson, Eichel, and Dahlin puts Buffalo in the conversation with Tampa and Toronto for the foreseeable future.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd disagree with that. If you add Karlsson ($11.5) and Ryan ($7.25), less Risto ($5.4m), you're adding about $13.4m in cap for next year. Moulson and Pominville coming off the books provides you $10.6m of that money right there. Bogosian comes off another year after that. I know you're probably apprehensive about the Dahlin extension, but we can keep him, too. I'll cross the bridge of what to do with Sam and Mitts when we come to it. In the words of Marlo Stanfield, that sounds like one of them good problems.

I just don't see how you can be given an opportunity to have the best offensive defenseman of our generation and pass on that opportunity. You make it work. A core of Karlsson, Eichel, and Dahlin puts Buffalo in the conversation with Tampa and Toronto for the foreseeable future.

Forget even down the line concerns, this trade would make it trickier to re-sign Reinhart this offseason.

Buffalo Sabres - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Sabres have roughly $12.2M in cap space today.

This trade adds $13.75M and subtracts $5.4M in cap hits. That means that the Sabres would have less than $4M in cap space for this season before signing Reinhart. And adding another contract gets the Sabres really close to the 50 contract maximum after all the RFA's are signed.

That forces the Sabres to give Reinhart a Mantha-esque bridge deal and takes a longer Horvat-esque extension off the table.

And the idea of having Okposo and Ryan combine for over $13M in cap hits for three more years beyond this season isn't appealing to me, at all.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Forget even down the line concerns, this trade would make it trickier to re-sign Reinhart this offseason.

Buffalo Sabres - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Sabres have roughly $12.2M in cap space today.

This trade adds $13.75M and subtracts $5.4M in cap hits. That means that the Sabres would have less than $4M in cap space for this season before signing Reinhart. And adding another contract gets the Sabres really close to the 50 contract maximum after all the RFA's are signed.

That forces the Sabres to give Reinhart a Mantha-esque bridge deal and takes a longer Horvat-esque extension off the table.

And the idea of having Okposo and Ryan combine for over $13M in cap hits for three more years beyond this season isn't appealing to me, at all.

Larsson can be sent to the AHL, which gives you an additional $1m in cap savings and probably makes the NHL roster better. Reinhart is probably getting a bridge, anyways. You can also explore moving one of Beaulieu or Hunwick, as well. A failure of imagination is no reason to say no thanks to the best offensive defenseman in our generation. If Buffalo said no to this deal, Botts should be fired. On the spot.

This is all academic, of course, because Karlsson isn't coming to Buffalo. But it'd be inane for the Sabres not to do this deal out of fear of future salary cap concerns

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
What if buf added Asplund and the STL 1st?

Honestly if I’m BUF I wouldn’t do it either way, not because I don’t like Karlsson or anything like that and he is a massive upgrade on risto(who I’m a big fan of) but I don’t think it makes sense with Buffalo’s timeline.

When eichel, Dahlin, mittelstadt, reinhart, Guhle, etc... are in the meat of their careers(23-30) Karlsson will be deep into his 30’s while risto would be right on par with the rest of them. So for that reason, I don’t see buffalo trading all that for a couple prime years of Karlsson when they’re not really a big time contender yet. I think buffalo and their fans need to stay patient because I think they’re building something special and I think trying to rush it would be a mistake.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It’s actually not a bad proposal. The problem for the Sabres is if we’re truly trying a later timeline or not

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I would obviously do this from Buffalo, and I would add, but I just don’t see how the heck it’s possible to both absorb Bobby Ryan and sign Erik Karlsson and be able to sign Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Reinhart etc to second contracts.

Just. Not. Possible.

In addition, there’s no way Karlsson signs an extension with 31st place Buffalo before the trade.

Attaching Bobby Ryan to Erik Karlsson is stupid as it severely limits the set of destinations.

Reactions: BigCanadian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad