TBN: Buffalo News invited to sit in deadline war room. TBN declined offer.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
What the heck are you talking about?

What he's basically saying is if a reporter hears a name in the room, how can he make reports at a later date about said player without being able to do their jobs as a beat reporter?

Its basically a conflict of interest.

It does make sense, but I think its something simpler.

Like the reporter is sick and didn't want to get the Front Office sick... lol

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
^^THIS^^

No, this is probably a legal gray area that TBN's legal department likely didn't want to be involved with. You can't site other sources, then not give them up, and a journalist will never give up their sources. Likely should this "lingering player" pop up again around the draft or in the summer, and TBN reports this The Sabres likely could sue them siting they heard this in the war room and violated the agreement.

This really is a non story. I get it, you guys wanted them to learn, and gain a new perspective, but in reality this probably just wasn't a feasible option for them.

What I described happens and happens often enough that there is a term for it.

Maybe their legal department didn't want to deal with it, but if that's the case they're just being overly cautious, because it never would have amounted to anything if a TBN reporter later reported on a later rumor from a different source. Let's not act like that was definitely the reason when it's just speculation.

Edit: As to the last paragraph, I don't care at all that they turned it down. I'm glad someone did it though, because it was an interesting enough read.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So are your families proud? heh

Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington 5m

People point out a certain message board 2 me from time to time and it's astounding the things alleged adults write. Your families are proud

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

People point out a certain message board 2 me from time to time and it's astounding the things alleged adults write. Your families are proud

My whole family is dead. Thanks a lot, Harrington.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013

Is this the same guy with a handicapped kid throwing intentional handicap slurs around on twitter and then acting like thats not what he meant?

I'd have to agree with him though, "its astounding the things alleged adults write"

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Hi, Mike!

"Where's your journalism degree?"

I believe he went to Newhouse school of Communications at Syracuse, which is probably the most valuable Journalism Mass Communication degree in the world...

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
This comes off as a calculated slip of information from Ted Black. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he would love to call out TBN and discredit a lot of the BS they spew by letting people know that they didn't find an opportunity like that as newsworthy enough to show up.

Touche Mr Black. Touche.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I believe he went to Newhouse school of Communications at Syracuse, which is probably the most valuable Journalism Mass Communication degree in the world...

He's referencing Harrington's response to criticism on Twitter of asking people where their journalism degrees are.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Funny thing is there is like three or four message boards that assume that he is talking about them, because they all bash Harrington.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
What he's basically saying is if a reporter hears a name in the room, how can he make reports at a later date about said player without being able to do their jobs as a beat reporter?

Its basically a conflict of interest.

It does make sense, but I think its something simpler.

Like the reporter is sick and didn't want to get the Front Office sick... lol

So it's ok for Jeremy White to be in that position, but somehow not a TBN reporter?

Uhhhhhh...

Reporters hear stuff off the record / things they shouldn't all the time. It's not anything new or earth shattering. There's no conflict for TBN here to go into the room and just not repeat specifics.

Also, HI MIKE!!!! GFY.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Harrington graduated from Canisus. White from Newhouse @ Syracuse.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This comes off as a calculated slip of information from Ted Black. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he would love to call out TBN and discredit a lot of the BS they spew by letting people know that they didn't find an opportunity like that as newsworthy enough to show up.

Touche Mr Black. Touche.

Had they not been invited, the 3 stooges (Bucky, Sully, and Pear-Shaped one), would be spewing drivel about how they were denied access, lack of transparency, and control of information. At some point Bucky would opine, "although I have no hard evidence, I believe that Joe Battista is the leader of the illuminati".

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Barring any of the reasons why they declined, it's just a shame that the local newspaper has such a problem with the organization. TBN's one job is to cover the Sabres. Some of the reporters have taken everything so personally, and it just speaks to the unprofessional nature of the reporter. I've lived in a lot of markets in my life, WNY included, and I have never seen such a rift between a newspaper and sports franchise. It's just a shame.

You must not have lived downstate, where the contentiousness between the press and the sports teams is often times at fever pitch.

I see people complain about how the BN is so mean to Buffalo sports teams...and I have to laugh.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Not a big deal to me. Honestly, we were lucky that Mike is in Tampa now and Vogl is still in town; Vogl was breaking the Sabres trades on twitter before national guys like McKenzie were, a change from when Darcy was in charge. God, I feel bad for Vogl working with those clowns.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
They could have sent one of their non beat reporters in, like Gleason or even Sullivan.

Either way, TBN Sports team has long been a joke when it comes to Sabres coverage.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ doesn't have a paywall after 10 stories, gets the same access, and presents the information in an unbiased way with no grudges or ax's to grind. No real reason to ever go to TBN's site (or buy their paper) for Sabres coverage.

Bill Hoppe is a good young writer. Doesn't come off like someone who's got an axe to grind like most of the TBN staff has.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Barring any of the reasons why they declined, it's just a shame that the local newspaper has such a problem with the organization. TBN's one job is to cover the Sabres. Some of the reporters have taken everything so personally, and it just speaks to the unprofessional nature of the reporter. I've lived in a lot of markets in my life, WNY included, and I have never seen such a rift between a newspaper and sports franchise. It's just a shame.

Outsider not privy to the situation, why is there between the paper and the Sabres?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad