TBN: Buffalo News invited to sit in deadline war room. TBN declined offer.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I found this part to be pretty cool

As White says, of course they have that, but its pretty cool to hear about it all the same.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/88362788/3-6-ted-black-with-jeremy-white-and-matthew-coller.htm

Here's the link. Ted Black and Jeremy talk about it a little bit more. Ted basically trashes TBN. I beginning to think that Ted Black looked uncomfortable during the PaLa presser more because he hates TBN and less so because he was lying. Not that he wasn't lying. Mike Harrington clearly just infuriates him.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
As others have pointed out on this board. Drama sells. TBN will sell more papers and get more attention, the more critical they are and the more drama they create. Don't expect this to change anytime soon.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
They wouldn't allow TBN to report any names or anything, just like WGR wasn't allowed to.

As someone said, it would have been a field trip. This was nothing like access to the US Olympic Team selection that Scott Burnside did.

Non-story.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Meh, I don't blame TBN on this one.

You're naive if you think the Sabres organeyezation would give important info about players with the media and cameras there. They gave Jeremy access until noon, before they actually did stuff beyond pick up the local kid off waivers that everyone expected. And probably mentioned whatever that one player is for lolz.

The media got to play pretend GM, and the Sabres just gave 'inside info' that this staff knows what they're doing and have fancy toys.

They show up every time the Sabres hold a press conference to announce Ted Black's lunch the previous day. They spend hours weekly talking about the Sabres on WGR, and hours writing about them for their paper.

They have a Sabres blog with frequent daily updates, and attend every single game.

Any they can't spare a guy for the reasons I listed in the post above yours (at a minimum) to come to one of the most important days of the year for the franchise when they been invited?

Sorry, there is no reasonable justification I can see. Simply spite or incompetence, probably both.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
http://audio.wgr550.com/a/88362788/3-6-ted-black-with-jeremy-white-and-matthew-coller.htm

Here's the link. Ted Black and Jeremy talk about it a little bit more. Ted basically trashes TBN. I beginning to think that Ted Black looked uncomfortable during the PaLa presser more because he hates TBN and less so because he was lying. Not that he wasn't lying. Mike Harrington clearly just infuriates him.

Thanks. I actually heard them this morning on my way home from work.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Sabres fans whining about the media and extrapolating from circumstances they know little about. Shocking.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Sabres fans whining about the media and extrapolating from circumstances they know little about. Shocking.

:laugh:

Jeremy White was there, and spoke/wrote about the experience and the offer at length. Thanks for stopping by though, it really added to the thread.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
I think its cool regardless if TBN goes or not.

It's truly a "fly on the wall" experience. Where the fly obviously can't talk.

I don't know about you but I'd be sweating and a nervous wreck, but it would be a dream come true regardless. Just the experience and saying, "hey I was in the Sabres war room on trade deadline day."

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

You're naive if you think the Sabres organeyezation would give important info about players with the media and cameras there. They gave Jeremy access until noon, before they actually did stuff beyond pick up the local kid off waivers that everyone expected. And probably mentioned whatever that one player is for lolz.

The media got to play pretend GM, and the Sabres just gave 'inside info' that this staff knows what they're doing and have fancy toys.

Murray talked to LA about 15 times before they finalized on the deal they got.

White heard a conversation about a deal with a guy that did move.

Being in that room yesterday, even if it was just a couple of hours, would him someone a better idea of how things really work versus their ideas of how things work.

punkr0x

Jul 2, 2009
If they had a legit reason, such as an overly restrictive NDA or not having a reporter available on what was a busy day for the sports department, I would hope they would respond to Ted's statement and let us know.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Murray talked to LA about 15 times before they finalized on the deal they got.

White heard a conversation about a deal with a guy that did move.

Being in that room yesterday, even if it was just a couple of hours, would him someone a better idea of how things really work versus their ideas of how things work.

Fairly certain it was Moulson. At 2 PM when White came on, he said that he fully expects Moulson to be moved by the end of the day.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Everyone's surely aware of how this works. There were many conditions in place on Jeremy White's visit and on what he could disclose. You could say the same thing about being an embedded reporter in any context. It certainly doesn't mean that it makes sense for the Buffalo News not accept the offer, other than it not fitting their increasingly antagonistic outlook.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I want it!

Would be interesting to know if the database stuff talked about is Sabres own proprietary or a subscribed service.

Either way, there's probably a critical mass of savvy-enough IT guys on HF (let alone the Sabres board) to figure out how to hack their firewall and servers.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
As much as I hate TBN, I asked about this and got a reasonable answer - that I was told I can't disclose - but it's nothing malevolent or axe-grinding.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Lingering player was likely Callahan. I believe that was the only trade before noon and White has a boner for Callahan coming to Buffalo. Wondering about it for the next few months. It's likely as the re-signing talks with NYR fell through and he was traded his name was brought up as being available in the Summer. Apparently a lot of guys were talked about around the league yesterday and the talks are expected to resume around the draft. Could be guys like E. Kane were talked about. Who knows though and since some posters don't want us to speculate and only deliver the cold hard facts I'll shut up now.

I wish White didn't go yesterday though. Not because I'm jealous but because every time he brings up a terrible idea like he usually does it's going to be in the back of my mind that he possibly knows something. :laugh:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Jeremy had to agree not to reveal what he heard in the room. This is SOP in journalism.

The big difference here is that TBN couldnt because their journalists are more connected to the outside world than Jeremy is.

Jeremy refers to a name that likely would mean a big blockbuster type of deal (that could come up at the draft again).

TBN staff may have word of this through other sources (other teams, other reporters, their networking with people around the NHL). If they hear about something from the war room and three months from now prior to the draft they here reports of this name resurfacing in possible trades---can they report it without breaking their agreement?

This is the crux of the problem and why they declined. If they already knew about some info they didnt report such as sabres showing interest in player X they couldnt report what they knew if it comes up in this meeting.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Jeremy had to agree not to reveal what he heard in the room. This is SOP in journalism.

The big difference here is that TBN couldnt because their journalists are more connected to the outside world than Jeremy is.

Jeremy refers to a name that likely would mean a big blockbuster type of deal (that could come up at the draft again).

TBN staff may have word of this through other sources (other teams, other reporters, their networking with people around the NHL). If they hear about something from the war room and three months from now prior to the draft they here reports of this name resurfacing in possible trades---can they report it without breaking their agreement?

This is the crux of the problem and why they declined. If they already knew about some info they didnt report such as sabres showing interest in player X they couldnt report what they knew if it comes up in this meeting.

If they get information from other sources they can report based on those sources. That is how journalism works and it's definitely not uncommon to get information under the condition that they not be used as a source, even anonymously. Once another source (or two, depending on how many sources are required to meet their relevant standards) supplies the same information, it is reported.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

What the heck are you talking about?

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010

^^THIS^^
If they get information from other sources they can report based on those sources. That is how journalism works and it's definitely not uncommon to get information under the condition that they not be used as a source, even anonymously. Once another source (or two, depending on how many sources are required to meet their relevant standards) supplies the same information, it is reported.

No, this is probably a legal gray area that TBN's legal department likely didn't want to be involved with. You can't site other sources, then not give them up, and a journalist will never give up their sources. Likely should this "lingering player" pop up again around the draft or in the summer, and TBN reports this The Sabres likely could sue them siting they heard this in the war room and violated the agreement.

This really is a non story. I get it, you guys wanted them to learn, and gain a new perspective, but in reality this probably just wasn't a feasible option for them.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Lingering player was likely Callahan. I believe that was the only trade before noon and White has a boner for Callahan coming to Buffalo. Wondering about it for the next few months. It's likely as the re-signing talks with NYR fell through and he was traded his name was brought up as being available in the Summer. Apparently a lot of guys were talked about around the league yesterday and the talks are expected to resume around the draft. Could be guys like E. Kane were talked about. Who knows though and since some posters don't want us to speculate and only deliver the cold hard facts I'll shut up now.

I wish White didn't go yesterday though. Not because I'm jealous but because every time he brings up a terrible idea like he usually does it's going to be in the back of my mind that he possibly knows something. :laugh:

Could've been Callahan, but there in all likelihood was only one real destination for him. If I had to guess, it was Grigorenko, Myers, or even Hodgson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad