Proposal: Buffalo needs a second line center

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
It has been a void since the departure of O'Reilly. Secondary scoring is also struggling, and if Eichel/Skinner go cold, they are in trouble (or if Eichel gets hurt, which is a valid concern, given his previous seasons, we will have either Mittlestadt or Sobotka as our #1 center). The thought of either of those centering the top line for an extended time should frighten any Sabre fan.

We have potentially 3 first round picks next year and some good prospects that I'd be willing to offer up for the right player. Ollofsson, Nylander and Nelson. Heck, I would even consider Pilut or Mittlestadt but the latter will cost you big time.

We may have dump Berglund to make salary work.

Rypien37

Aug 20, 2013
Canucks have one we could trade you.. Might cost a lot to get him though but I can definitely picture Sam Gagner in a Sabres uniform playing the second line!

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I don't see any reason for Buffalo to pay futures for a #2C right now. Their window for competing isn't closing any time soon so there's no rush or necessity to obtain another pivot.

Valid argument.

And if this was October, I would have agreed. The goal posts have changed though thanks to their winning streak. I am not saying they need to sell the farm for one but our depth at center is lacking and we have some assets to play with, particularly draft picks.

They've been lucky with injuries not impacting any of their top 3 forwards so far, but things could go south fast if it happens.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Something around Carter???

The Sabres aren't moving quality assets for a 33yo. Maybe if LA wants to sell him for pennies on the dollar and also take a highish-cap contract so we have room to sign Skinner, but I doubt they do.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
It has been a void since the departure of O'Reilly. Secondary scoring is also struggling, and if Eichel/Skinner go cold, they are in trouble (or if Eichel gets hurt, which is a valid concern, given his previous seasons, we will have either Mittlestadt or Sobotka as our #1 center). The thought of either of those centering the top line for an extended time should frighten any Sabre fan.

We have potentially 3 first round picks next year and some good prospects that I'd be willing to offer up for the right player. Ollofsson, Nylander and Nelson. Heck, I would even consider Pilut or Mittlestadt but the latter will cost you big time.

2 months of a void, wow...… not trading Ollofsson or Nylander, Nelson isn't going to get you much, he won't even be playing for the Sabres by the end of the year......It's not about this season, it's about the next ten, any=thing this year is gravy.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

No.
Regardless of a potentially accelerated window opening... Buffalo cannot, and should not, entertain trading cost controlled assets. Their long term future depends on a pipeline of ELCs and Bridge Contracts for guys like Pilut, Mittelstadt, Oloffson, Nylander, Thompson, etc. As Dahlin, Reinhart, and Skinner will cost huge contracts in the near future.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

Sorry, not feeling this one bit. Let Mitts grow into his #2 C role, and keep all these prospects. Trading our youth is what got us into trouble with Tim Murray, and I certainly don't want to live through that again.

Maybe I'll entertain a 2nd round pick for a pure rental, but that's not even necessary right now.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kevin Hayes is your boy.

Sabres AGM Steve Greeley knows Hayes very well. Both of them are from Massachusetts. Greeley was at BU when Hayes was at BC for one season. Greeley was an assistant director of player personnel for the Rangers for two years. 15/16-16/17.

Buffalo is a northeast team for Hayes to re-sign with and Buffalo has two extra #1 picks from STL and SJ. There are conditions on both picks. The Rangers get a choice between those picks.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Kevin Hayes is your boy.

Sabres AGM Steve Greeley knows Hayes very well. Both of them are from Massachusetts. Greeley was at BU when Hayes was at BC for one season. Greeley was an assistant director of player personnel for the Rangers for two years. 15/16-16/17.

Buffalo is a northeast team for Hayes to re-sign with and Buffalo has two extra #1 picks from STL and SJ. There are conditions on both picks. The Rangers get a choice between those picks.
At best Hayes is a 2nd liner and he's an impending UFA. I wouldn't be the team that gives a 1st round pick for that. You were lucky you got a 1st + for a completely shot Rick Nash last year. You can't count on fleecing GM's every year.
As for the premise of the thread, yes we could definitely use a 2nd line center. I have no interest in trading 1st round picks or good prospects for one.

Reactions: Chainshot

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Brassard. But it will cost you your top goalie prospect, a 1st round pick and a top 6 defensemen.

Oh wait. Only JR does those deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad