Speculation: Buffalo in need of a Legit #1 Goalie

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
If The Sabres are truly interested in moving this team forward They had better secure a Legit #1 Goalie!

Lehner still is not 100% healed and not a proven #1. Nilsson even as a back up is questionable @ #2.

If Owners are truly interested in advancing this team they had better consider bringing in a proven #1 Goalie.

Everyone is looking to add Defense which is needed but I strongly feel without a true #1 Tender no matter what they added up front this team will not be able to keep the puck out of the net.

Any Thoughts? Will they go with an unproven Duo to start the season or will a deal get done to bring in a proven #1 Stopper.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
This will be more of a concern after this season when they have a better idea of what they have in Lehner. If he ends up missing a bunch more time and/or doesn't look good playing #1 minute this season, then yes, looking for a solid starter will become a need. As of right now, it isn't.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
You go to different boards and start threads that end in exclamation marks, nice MO.

They're going to ride with Lehner.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Lehner could crash and burn and it wouldn't be hard to aquire a decent guy. We probably won't have that franchise goalie, so improving the defense is still #1 priority going forward.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im probably the only wild fan that would do this but i'd trade you dubnyk & pominville for a fair return. that would free up a ton of cap space for us & while pommer is past his prime he would provide some decent leadership for your young guns. im hoping next summer las vegas picks dubnyk so we dont lose a D man. just my one cent. cheers! i have to get to buffalo someday & try the anchor bar wings.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
im probably the only wild fan that would do this but i'd trade you dubnyk & pominville for a fair return. that would free up a ton of cap space for us & while pommer is past his prime he would provide some decent leadership for your young guns. im hoping next summer las vegas picks dubnyk so we dont lose a D man. just my one cent. cheers! i have to get to buffalo someday & try the anchor bar wings.

Sabres don't have the cap space for 2 large contracts

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
To echo what others have said. We hitched our wagon to Lehner for this season at least. If he has a bad year it will be an offseason evaluation in 2017, not now.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

We have our own Pominville in Moulson, we don't need another one.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Goalies are a dime a dozen. The difference between #4 and #25 isn't much. No reason to panic, heck Johnson last year was excellent, and he'll never be mentioned in a conversation about top 25 goalies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If The Sabres are truly interested in moving this team forward They had better secure a Legit #1 Goalie!

Lehner still is not 100% healed and not a proven #1. Nilsson even as a back up is questionable @ #2.

If Owners are truly interested in advancing this team they had better consider bringing in a proven #1 Goalie.

Everyone is looking to add Defense which is needed but I strongly feel without a true #1 Tender no matter what they added up front this team will not be able to keep the puck out of the net.

Any Thoughts? Will they go with an unproven Duo to start the season or will a deal get done to bring in a proven #1 Stopper.

If we were in a position where we are CUP Contenders right now, I would probably agree with you. As of right now, only thing that matters is consistent goaltending and the continued improvement of our defense and forward play and better puck possession play.

Buffalo had a good portion of their season, with a horrible defense, goaltending with a Rookie goaltender in Ullmark who came off of 2 hip surgeries that played much sooner than expected, and a career backup goaltender in Chad Johnson. Then Lehner came back from injury and the goaltending didn't drop and possibly rose slightly in play.

Buffalo ended the season tied for 15th in Goals against even though we were 23rd in the standings overall points. An improvement in puck possession from the team, a better transition game, and you could improve those numbers not only in the standings but also in the chances the goaltenders face.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I hate what we have after Lehner. You would think Murray would have wanted to shore up the position with a veteran, given his injury history. It definitely feels like a major position of weakness.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I hate what we have after Lehner. You would think Murray would have wanted to shore up the position with a veteran, given his injury history. It definitely feels like a major position of weakness.

When we acquired Chad Johnson most considered him the worst backup goalie in the NHL.
By the end of last season everyone had forgotten that and thought him quite a good backup.

It's like throwing darts, and all you have to do is hit the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad