Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
So what happens in the hypothetical if he makes the NHL team, after 20-30 games is struggling horribly and they want to send him "down", would he go to the AHL or back to Liiga? Would it turn into a mutual termination deal?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So what happens in the hypothetical if he makes the NHL team, after 20-30 games is struggling horribly and they want to send him "down", would he go to the AHL or back to Liiga? Would it turn into a mutual termination deal?

I would assume it would be like Jonathan Davidsson in the SHL this past season who was returned to Djurgarden but is still under contract with the Jackets. It's considered a "loan" and he could come back if his season in the Liiga ends before the end of the NHL or AHL seasons do.

Reactions: Baccus

Noma

The claim that Ruotsalainen should be returned to Liiga in case he didn't make the Sabres is false. This restriction only applies to players drafted after the first round. UFA signings don't have those kind of restrictions.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
There is more than one only hope so that isn't true. There Arttu :P

128733.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Get to know Arttu Ruotsalainen

Offseason departures left Tampere with a void at its top center position at the outset of the season. Having seen growth in Ruotsalainen's practice habits, coach Karri Kivi decided to give the young forward a look on the top line.

Ruotsalainen took the job and never looked back.
"He was almost one of the best centers in the whole league," Kivi said. "We didn't know in August how he was going to play. We put him on the first line and he was excellent there. He played a lot. He was first power play, first penalty kill, first line, everything."

Kivi said that after each game, he and his staff would track each player's actions with and without the puck. More often than not, Ruotsalainen was in the right place at the right time.
"Ruotsalainen is number one in every game, meaning he's where the first center should be," he said. "He's not skating around the rink. He goes there when it's happening."

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Beep boop beep triddle triddle beep bloop.

Translation: Sounds like a potentially exciting playmaker. I'm on board.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

So...seems a bit unusual, but whatever.

I would assume that means if he makes the team but then they want to send him down at some point during it, he would be going back to Finland for the first year.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Arttu is a great skater and plays like a big guy. He is smart and reads the game well. However, I don´t think he is ready for center role in NHL next year, but could take a spot in the wing.

Reactions: Chainshot

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Arttu is a great skater and plays like a big guy. He is smart and reads the game well. However, I don´t think he is ready for center role in NHL next year, but could take a spot in the wing.
My guess the sabres would have him slotted at wing. He is 5'8? And even though short players do succeed in the NHL it would be tough to see him jump to center in the NHL when it would be a much easier transition on wing. Not to mention we are lacking wingers(a center too) and it seems like a natural fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad