Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Right.. we are foolish to not see what we can get out of him, if from no other motivation than that historically horrific half a season we just endured. He probably won’t be worse than many current options, and if he somehow is, at least you can say you tried.

Give him a real chance if he looks like he can hang when he gets here.

Hell, if he can stay upright for an entire shift, I’d be down with giving him Sheary’s spot.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
PHam is an idiot.
Report: Sabres have come to terms with Arttu Ruotsalainen
I translated the article as best I could, and I think that since he has a contract with Ilves through 2022, he must go back to them if he doesn’t make the Sabres. That is similar to the deal Victor Antipin had. He couldn’t go to Rochester. If he didn’t make the Sabres, he had to go back to Russia. I thought that hurt Antipin quite a bit as he wasn’t really ready for the NHL.

Quit pretending you understand Finnish and admit you used google translate and the results weren't clear. A big time hockey reporter like PHam doesn't have any Finnish contacts?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
That is one of the worst written articles I have ever read.

Note: I was editor of my high school newspaper in Jamestown, NY and read all the articles.

Reactions: cybresabre

ijuka

May 14, 2016
PHam is an idiot.
Report: Sabres have come to terms with Arttu Ruotsalainen

Quit pretending you understand Finnish and admit you used google translate and the results weren't clear. A big time hockey reporter like PHam doesn't have any Finnish contacts?
The contract's in place according to Iltalehti's "sources". It'll be signed when Ruotsalainen finishes his season. If he doesn't make the NHL, Sabres need to return him to Liiga.

On the player himself, I just don't know what he could accomplish, being so tiny but without the immense amounts of skill. Henrik Haapala should have been significantly better, but he couldn't make it in NHL. Then again, I have underestimated Ruotsalainen in the past, I didn't think that he would be signing an NHL contract at all. Perhaps his game's well-suited to the NHL game, who knows?

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Ilves Tampere jerseys are lit. Anyway, I'm more of a Lapin Kulta guy, but if they sign this kid, I'll drink to that with a few Koffs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd be happy with either of the Leskinens or Turunen or maybe someone like Malte Stromwall.

I can't help but read the ability to go back to the Liiga as Botterill again giving up conditions. It's not like having a fellow Finn (and one with offensive chops at that) wouldn't be good for UPL down in Rochester if the guy doesn't make it out of camp.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I said before, but the description of him as a player still reminds me of Gerbe. Some skill, but not enough to translate as a top 6 offensive producer. Good skill set for a bottom six defensive role, but too small to hold down a role like that long term. Ideally he carves our such a role, though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I said before, but the description of him as a player still reminds me of Gerbe. Some skill, but not enough to translate as a top 6 offensive producer. Good skill set for a bottom six defensive role, but too small to hold down a role like that long term. Ideally he carves our such a role, though.

He's fast and has some guts. If he can find a way to be useful, great. That he's small... well, that's how he's available. Not banking on him making it, but it would be glorious if he does.

Reactions: Husko

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'd be happy with either of the Leskinens or Turunen or maybe someone like Malte Stromwall.

I can't help but read the ability to go back to the Liiga as Botterill again giving up conditions. It's not like having a fellow Finn (and one with offensive chops at that) wouldn't be good for UPL down in Rochester if the guy doesn't make it out of camp.

Better than somehow finding a way to throw Tampere a second rounder.

More seriously, if he wants to go back, wouldn't it likely be because he can't hang in NA?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He's fast and has some guts. If he can find a way to be useful, great. That he's small... well, that's how he's available. Not banking on him making it, but it would be glorious if he does.
I'm all for giving him a chance. He's an inch shorter and two pounds lighter than Arvidsson and he makes it work out there just fine. R2 seems to be a better scorer in the Euro leagues as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad