Buffalo going after Luke Richardson. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Anyone expecting the Buffalo situation to be turned around in one season is kind of crazy.
I love every single thing TM has done so far including the things he's said.
Time will tell, but I don't get calling what he's done so far a "failure".

I'd like to hear what other people would have done. Cause if it's letting your ufa goalies walk, finishing out of the top 10 picks and re-signing an average coach.....

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I'd like to hear what other people would have done.

If we're keeping track of Tim's moves, I still think that the Kane trade was bad for them. Especially if Winnipeg ends up retaining Stafford.

I mean, you can't categorically say that it's definitely going to be a bad trade without giving it time to see how everything works out, so there's nothing absolute about anything here, we're all speculating... but if you're asking me to pick sides right now, I'll take Winnipeg's end of that deal 10 out of 10 times.

I think, in a best case Ontario for the Sabres, it ends up being a win-win for both teams. I can't see how it ends up being bad for the Jets, unless Armia + Lemieux + the 1st rounder end up busting huge.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I fully expect Kane to bolt from Buffalo the minute he's a free agent in two years. He hated Winnipeg because it was too "small town" for him. He's going to LOATHE Buffalo because their blue-collar fans hate anyone flashy. They've run many an athlete out of town for not being "humble" enough.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I fully expect Kane to bolt from Buffalo the minute he's a free agent in two years. He hated Winnipeg because it was too "small town" for him. He's going to LOATHE Buffalo because their blue-collar fans hate anyone flashy. They've run many an athlete out of town for not being "humble" enough.

Yep, I fully expect him to be a Canuck or a Maple Leaf in 2 years time. I can absolutely see him going back home to Vancouver.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
In 2 years, he'll fit right into Glen Sather's "what high-priced, overhyped free agent can I unnecessarily add to my team because **** you that's why" wheelhouse.

Ooh yeah, Rangers. Not sure why I didn't think of them.

I assumed he'd stay in Canada, but I could totally see him as a Blueshirt mercenary.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Anyone expecting the Buffalo situation to be turned around in one season is kind of crazy.
Time will tell, but I don't get calling what he's done so far a "failure".

I'd like to hear what other people would have done. Cause if it's letting your ufa goalies walk, finishing out of the top 10 picks and re-signing an average coach.....

Buffalo fan here, we love Tim Murray. Unlike Regier, he has a plan for a team and is executing. Traded for Hudson Fasching, Nik Deslauriers, Evander Kane, and Zach Bogosian. He favors big, physical 2-way players that are hard to play against. He inherited a last place team that had already sold off most of its assets. He finished the job selling off used parts such as backup goalies. People made fun of that but if he hadn't done that Arizona would be getting Jack Eichel and we would not.

I expect the Buffalo roster to look completely different next year.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Buffalo fan here, we love Tim Murray. Unlike Regier, he has a plan for a team and is executing. Traded for Hudson Fasching, Nik Deslauriers, Evander Kane, and Zach Bogosian. He favors big, physical 2-way players that are hard to play against. He inherited a last place team that had already sold off most of its assets. He finished the job selling off used parts such as backup goalies. People made fun of that but if he hadn't done that Arizona would be getting Jack Eichel and we would not.

I do like that he has completely committed to the rebuild. It's not always the best idea to tank hard like that (and he took it to an extreme by bringing in Lindback as his starter), but imo he had no good foundational pieces to really work with atm like Ottawa or Calgary for example so you might as well tank.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I do like that he has completely committed to the rebuild. It's not always the best idea to tank hard like that (and he took it to an extreme by bringing in Lindback as his starter), but imo he had no good foundational pieces to really work with atm like Ottawa or Calgary for example so you might as well tank.

Lindback was their best goaltender last year. Best numbers of any of their 5 goalies that started.
People bring this goalie thing up all the time. He traded away average ufa goaltenders and actually improved the position.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You do realizing that the improvement was actually not what TMur was looking for right?

When even Pierre McGuire called out TMur for tanking there's no getting around it

I guess some people on here just love losers like TMur because with the losing comes the potential for a better tomorrow

I'd rather cheer on winners who offer results like BMur (even if it did take a while) rather than fawning over a GM who's team has finished at the bottom of the standings every year he's been there

Maybe it will work out and maybe it will on the back of some unforseen development but that doesn't make TMur into anything other than a loser who was at the right place at the right time

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
The Sabres' success will depend on who they hire to stand behind the bench.

Bps21*

We don't hate anyone flashy. We hardly ever have anyone flashy...that's not the same thing. We'd kill for a good offensive player. Hell...We've cheated the sport in search of one.

The Jangle Meister*

^ Id take Tim Murray over Bryan easily

Hes doing a good job so far imo, got Kane and Bogo as well as guaranteed himself McEichel. People can harp on him for tanking but if you were a buffalo fan thats what you were hoping for ( the best chance at the first overall pick )

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lindback was their best goaltender last year. Best numbers of any of their 5 goalies that started.
People bring this goalie thing up all the time. He traded away average ufa goaltenders and actually improved the position.

Fair enough but his play was unexpected imo, it was clearly a tank move to me.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
^ Id take Tim Murray over Bryan easily

Hes doing a good job so far imo, got Kane and Bogo as well as guaranteed himself McEichel. People can harp on him for tanking but if you were a buffalo fan thats what you were hoping for ( the best chance at the first overall pick )

He got Kane and Bogo at the expense of Myers (who looks like a generational defenseman in Winnipeg) and some solid prospects. In exchange for a decent d-man and a one dimensional winger.

As for Eichel, that's solid. Buts he's no McDavid.

Bryan Murray has built multiple winning franchises. Timmy has yet to even do it once. But yeah, Tim is better...

Bps21*

Fair enough but his play was unexpected imo, it was clearly a tank move to me.

This is why there's no good conversation to be had yet.

"His team was the worst" ..."That was the point" ..."Well then that's why he's bad"

It's a circle to nowhere.

And he isn't even the person who did most of the tear down. Vanek and Pommiville were gone before he got there and Miller had turned down staying for the rebuild when he walked in the door. The only good player that can even be discussed is Ehrhoff...and they used the NHL changing the rules of his contract against him in that case.

Getting 2 3rd round picks for Enroth and Neuvirth is what it is. They aren't great. So who could possibly care? And he can just sign either of them back if he wants to. Total nothing conversation.

Bps21*

He got Kane and Bogo at the expense of Myers (who looks like a generational defenseman in Winnipeg) and some solid prospects. In exchange for a decent d-man and a one dimensional winger.

Bryan Murray has built multiple winning franchises. Timmy has yet to even do it once. But yeah, Tim is better...

LOL GENERATIONAL DEFENSEMAN.

Holy crap. Now I've seen it all. Gets some assists and he's the second coming. Fun fact: Sabres win percentage went up after the trade. Just like every metric predicted it would. And yes...that was the generational Tyler Myers who was on the ice for every single goal against in their elimination game against Anaheim.

Holy bias showing Batman.

What's Kane's one dimension? He's amongst the top puck retreivers in the Ozone in the league, he scores, he plays physical, and despite being used in a shut down line the last year plus...still has a Points per minute on par with top scorers...which one is his one dimension?

The Jangle Meister*

Calling Myers a Generational defenseman is laughable. Bogo is a really solid d man and is only 24, and Kane is a pretty interesting player that Bryan Murray would have loved to have. If he can break out, playing along side Eichel - who is really ****ing good regardless of not being Mcdavid, then the trade works out for them easily.

Tim Murray has won as many Cups as Bryan while being GM. BM can build a foundation of a team, but lacks the balls to pull off the big moves needed to win ( what Burke did in Anaheim).

And you give Tim won year on a rebuilding team, did you expect him to win a cup hahaha ****ing joke.

Tim is willing to make big moves. All BM has done in Ottawa is Draft...and guess who was invovled in our drafting team - Tim, not Bryan.

in 7 years we have not got passed the 2nd round, and has missed the playoffs multiple times (which is something Ottawa has never done until he became GM)...so not close to a winning franchise. Open your eyes.

I like BM, but Id personally like someone else to come in and make the big trades we need.

Othello*

I've liked what he's done with the Dcorps, Zadorov,Risto,Bogo and Gorges should be good for you guys next year. Lindback looked good towards the end of the year but I expect him to be awful next season.

The middle looks like a bright spot with Eichel, Grigenson and Grigerinko. Ennis,Kane and moulson seem to be your only good wingers tho

Othello*

No it wasn't.

Bryan was responsible for pro scouting and contracts for vets.

Dorian handled amateur scouting and drafting.

Tim handled Bingo and RFA contracts.
Ultimately Bryan is the General Manager so if Tim decided to give out crazy contracts Bryan would've agreed with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad