Buffalo going after Luke Richardson. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well you answered your own question didn't you?

Cameron is the Head Coach and he's signed for another two years

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Hard to say. If he really prioritizes staying close to his daughter, Buffalo's only an hour or so closer than Ottawa. Unless the money and position (ie head coach) are too good to pass up, I don't think location or personnel are necessarily a major incentive.

Othello*

iirc Luke didn't want to be head coach to spend more time with his family

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Loaded question. SO loaded.

I can't see Luke having any HUGE interest in going to a team with no goaltending in the organization. He's a big believer of building from the net out. Seems to me like the Sabres are doing just the opposite.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
iirc Luke didn't want to be head coach to spend more time with his family

i actually have a source for this one. I know for a fact that, that IS the reason, after his daughter passed away and his other went to school. It was pretty tramatizing for the family. I'm pretty sure that It's a swaying factor(being close to his family and making sure everything is good) and I'm sure i heard he wants to coach at the nhl level. from what i heard is unsure about leaving the area at this time.

don't know if it was Buffalo though. that's all i can say.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Where would Luke rather coach? A team with Mc David or the team that seems happy being mediocre all the time?

You mean a team with a 20% chance of landing McDavid, that traded away a majority of decent pieces they had, no goaltending, and consecutive 30th overall finished under TM?

I do think Luke was embarrassed/ticked off when he had to answer questions about whether he was asked if the job was offered to him shortly after Cameron's hire, so I do not believe he is as committed to staying as he may have been in the past. However, I don't think it is a slam dunk that he would jump at the chance to coach Buffalo if TM comes calling.

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Why do people think Luke is a good coach in the first place?

lots of young guys recently coming out of bingo. The best offense in the AHL last year by a fair margin.

Question was idiotic when you said the sens were content with mediocrity. You dont have to tank to be a good team and even when teams do get high draft picks they dont always end up part of the plan. Jvr, Ryan, seguin

Hitting on your draft picks where ever they are placed+development is far more important then getting draft position

sens seemingly hit on their draft picks more often then not and develop players effectively. Rather work with the plan we have now

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Why is tim murray always getting his grubby hands into our cookie jar

Because he did a lot of the dirty work in our front office behind the scenes in terms of the draft and being the Bingo Sens GM, and knows our staff/prospects inside and out.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Where would Luke rather coach? A team with Mc David or the team that seems happy being mediocre all the time?

There is an 80% probability that Buffalo will not get the first pick (I.e., McDavid) even if they finish last! :)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Let them have him. Bingo is one of the worst AHL teams in the league this year under Richardson.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
By the end of this season he will have back to back 30th place finishes in his first two seasons as a GM. With all due respect to TM, even the absolute worst poster in the history of HF boards could match that accomplishment.

He's not concerned with where they finish. He's preparing for the future. Some people may not know but he is one of the smartest most competent guys in the league and he comes with a plan.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well let's see how his plan works out before calling him a genious

So far not so good in terms of results although I don't think they planned on tanking this year: they made some moves in the off season to try that seemed decent enough but once reality settled in he blew the whole thing up

I'm curious as to what his long-term plan is because his short-term planning skills have not been impressive at all: McGuire was talking about how utterly demoralized and crushed the players are with the tank job. That can have some lasting ill effects that I bet TMur hasn't included in his plan: bitterness in the ranks is something to be very, very weary of if you are a manager.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm curious as to what his long-term plan is because his short-term planning skills have not been impressive at all: McGuire was talking about how utterly demoralized and crushed the players are with the tank job. That can have some lasting ill effects that I bet TMur hasn't included in his plan: bitterness in the ranks is something to be very, very weary of if you are a manager.

Absolutely, that and apparently trying to acquire a bunch of misfits from other teams. That's not a plan and it won't work. He'll be canned long before anything good happens in Buffalo.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
lots of young guys recently coming out of bingo. The best offense in the AHL last year by a fair margin.
They are good offensively this year too but defensively, it's a gong show. Worst team in the league in Goals Against even though they have very experienced and established defensive core, and The Hamburglar in the net.
I like how he talks and develops players but I'm not sold on his ability to organize team play.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
He's not concerned with where they finish. He's preparing for the future. Some people may not know but he is one of the smartest most competent guys in the league and he comes with a plan.

I think whether he is smart and competent will show by how well his plan works in the end. Right now it is a whole lot of faith and prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad