Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Cozens, a high 2nd, and Montour (RFA)

for

Strome, 1 year of Saad?

Wherever value was in the OP, this
now seems unbalanced pretty abundantly in favor of CHI.

Probably. But in the op the value was unbalanced in favor of buffalo.
Montour is a nice player but we don't need him.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015

for

Strome, 1 year of Saad?

Wherever value was in the OP, this now seems unbalanced pretty abundantly in favor of CHI.

Not really. I understand if you don’t like the idea of giving up futures to fill out your roster, but seriously, what do you think a young cost controlled 2C and a power forward cost?

EDIT: and full disclosure, my ask would be Mittelstadt and Cozens.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

for

Strome, 1 year of Saad?

Wherever value was in the OP, this now seems unbalanced pretty abundantly in favor of CHI.

I would agree, Cozens > Strome >>> Mittelstadt is a ballpark of how I'd value them.

Don't blame CHI for not being interested in the OP, but Cozens is probably the first player listed after the 2 obvious and only true "untouchables" in the entire Sabres organization.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Not really. I understand if you don’t like the idea of giving up futures to fill out your roster, but seriously, what do you think a young cost controlled 2C and a power forward cost?

It depends on what you think you’ll get for Saad at the deadline (next year)

I’m also trading back a potential 2C with control, albeit one who currently doesn’t have a lot of shine, and a top 4 right shot dman, also with control.

If you disagree that Chicago has interest in these players in particular, I fully respect that. However, the vacuum value of the package isn’t outlandishly far off.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I would agree, Cozens > Strome >>> Mittelstadt is a ballpark of how I'd value them.

Don't blame CHI for not being interested in the OP, but Cozens is probably the first player listed after the 2 obvious and only true "untouchables" in the entire Sabres organization.

???

No blame at all...it’s a discussion.

The Sabres do have valuable assets outside of their superstar captain and top pick defensemen...regardless of the morose feelings Sabres fans have towards the team right now.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Don't blame CHI for not being interested in the OP, but Cozens is probably the first player listed after
the 2 obvious and only true "untouchables" in the entire Sabres organization.

I have no problem with buffalo saying no go with cozens.
But strome is 22. And I don't know why buffalo would trade for saad if they aren't going to extend him.

But there is no value for the hawks in the op. Middlestadt is what?
2rd pick or Rodrigues is nothing much. Montour while a nice player doesn't fill much of a need for us.

Reactions: I Like Eich

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
???

No blame at all...it’s a discussion.

The Sabres do have valuable assets outside of their superstar captain and top pick defensemen...regardless of the morose feelings Sabres fans have towards the team right now.

Didn't mean that negatively, I thought it was a good proposal from the BUF end, I'm just saying if I was a CHI fan I wouldn't blame them for not being interested. They're taking a huge risk on Mittelstadt and giving up the best asset in the OP

And I agree, we definitely do. All I meant was after Eichel and Dahlin, I have Cozens listed as #3 in overall trade value, so I can't see him realistically being moved.

We have plenty of prospects teams would be very interested in that I'd be willing to offer up... Mittelstadt, Thompson, Pekar, R.Johnson, Samuelsson, Davidsson, Bryson, Ruotsalainen etc etc. The problem seems to be our conservative GM isn't offering them up while we sit around and waste and MVP season from Eichel and an ELC year of Dahlin.

Last edited:

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
But strome is 22. And I don't know why buffalo would trade for saad if they aren't going to extend him.

2rd pick or Rodrigues is nothing much. Montour while a nice player doesn't fill much of a need for us.

I see that too, not too interested in Saad... not that we couldn't use him, but I do agree with you in the sense that if he doesn't re-sign with BUF, it's probably not worth it.

and if CHI is not interested in Montour, then I probably wouldn't include him either. Maybe just Mitts + a better pick (conditional 1st?) for Strome is what I'd think about.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I think the value for the Hawks is in deferring and better aligning the costs of their center spine.

Strome is currently at a 55 points per 82 game pace over the last 2 seasons. Do the Hawks want to inevitably be paying for that type of production from a young 2C if Dach is taking that role?

Strome to Mittelstadt kicks the can on paying that price, while largely retaining the same skillset.

Montour is a pretty big upgrade to a blueline that struggles in transition, while Saad is 80ish games from returning 2nd round rental value.

I don't think it looks good on paper for Chicago... but that doesn't make it a bad move

Reactions: I Like Eich

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think the value for the Hawks is in deferring and better aligning the costs of their center spine.

Strome is currently at a 55 points per 82 game pace over the last 2 seasons. Do the Hawks want to
inevitably be paying for that type of production from a young 2C if Dach is taking that role?

Strome to Mittelstadt kicks the
can on paying that price, while largely retaining the same skillset.

Montour is a pretty big upgrade to a
blueline that struggles in transition, while Saad is 80ish games from returning 2nd round rental value.

I don't think it looks good on paper for Chicago... but that doesn't make
it a bad move

It's not a good move for Chicago.
There isn't value there for the hawks. Middlestadt does nothing for us. Strome is better regardless of what his future payday becomes.
Saad has more value to us then a second round pick. Montour I'll say it again is a nice player but doesn't move the needle for us going forward. We have Boqvist & Murphy. Mitchell coming in and also Seabrook will be attempting to come back even if he can't.
I'm not opposed to a deal surrounding stroke and saad but the current pieces offered don't do anything for us.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I see that too, not too interested in Saad... not that we couldn't use him, but I do agree with you in the sense
that if he doesn't re-sign with BUF, it's probably not worth it.

and if CHI is not interested in Montour, then I probably wouldn't include him either. Maybe just Mitts
+ a better pick (conditional 1st?) for Strome is what I'd think about.

Not interested. Right or wrong just my opinion that's selling low on Strome.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Not interested. Right or wrong just my opinion that's selling low on Strome.

That's no problem, you have to believe that Mittelstadt can turn it around to be interested in the trade. Some people think he can, some people don't. He's a very interesting prospect

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It's not a good move for Chicago.
There isn't value there for the hawks. Middlestadt does nothing for us. Strome is better regardless of what his future payday becomes.

There's cap value.

Maybe you're ok with paying Strome 5 million to center your 3rd line. I think Chicago has significant cap issues to deal with, and this is an avenue to doing that.

What Mittelstadt does for you, is maintain a high skill center spine behind Toews, without requiring the costs of Kane/Debrincat driven production that Strome has now arrived at.

You could argue this trade is a deadline too soon. And that after doing a 1 year deal with Strome (allowing him to go to arbitration 2021), and allowing Saad to reach the trade deadline, the value would seem more appropriate....

Saad has more value to us then a second round pick.

Yes... for another 82 games... and then that's exactly what his value will be

Montour I'll say it again is a nice player but doesn't move the needle for us going forward. We have Boqvist & Murphy. Mitchell coming in and also Seabrook will be attempting to come back even if he can't.
I'm not opposed to a deal surrounding stroke and saad but the current pieces offered don't do anything for us.

Montour would probably be the #1 among that group on the right side. Boqvist isnt there yet, Murphy never was. Mitchell is a good prospect, you should probably sign him. And Seabrook is garbage now.

It's a cascading impact:
Montour moves the needle on the 1st pair by removing a 20 yr old playing top pair minutes (Boqvist)
Boqvist moves the needle on the 2nd pair, upgrading a 3rd pair D playing 2nd pair minutes (Murphy)
Murphy moves the needle on a 3rd pair counting on the return of a defensemen who is clearly toast (Seabrook)

Reactions: Gabrielor

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
There's cap value.

Maybe you're ok with paying Strome 5 million to center your 3rd line. I
think Chicago has significant cap issues to deal with, and this is an avenue to doing that.

What Mittelstadt does for you, is maintain a high skill center spine behind Toews, without requiring the
costs of Kane/Debrincat driven production that Strome has now arrived at.

You could argue this trade is a deadline too soon. And that after
doing a 1 year deal with Strome (allowing him to go to arbitration 2021), and allowing Saad to reach
the trade deadline, the value would seem more appropriate....

Yes... for another 82 games... and
then that's exactly what his value will be

Montour would probably be the #1 among that group on the right side. Boqvist isnt there yet, Murphy never
was. Mitchell is a good prospect, you should probably sign him. And Seabrook is garbage now.

It's a cascading impact:
Montour moves the needle on the 1st
pair by removing a 20 yr old playing top pair minutes (Boqvist)
Boqvist moves the needle on the 2nd
pair, upgrading a 3rd pair D playing 2nd pair minutes (Murphy)
Murphy moves the needle on a 3rd pair counting on the return of a defensemen who is clearly toast (Seabrook)

Ok. You can keep explaining your point of the trade. It's all on deaf ears. Strome is a NHL player a second line center and only 22.
Middlestadt is what? He's in the Ahl. Maybe he has the talent or not. Cap means nothing to us, simple as that in terms of those 2.
Saad regardless of how you want to spin him is worth more to us then a second. Don't care about deadline or him entering his last year next year.
Montour while a nice player does nothing for us. Is he top pairing on your team?
We don't need or want him that's all.
Boqvist is averaging 20 minutes right now on the top pair. Murphy is averaging 20 minutes while playing great in zone d and pk.
Mitchell while yes a prospect looks every part of a future NHL dman.
Seabrook is garbage no doubt but he's still signed for 4 more years. And his standing in the organization is they will give him every chance to comeback.
So please there is no response needed. Because now it's just going in circles. You don't have to like my response.

If the hawks decided to trade both saad and Strome they would get better offers.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I was huge Mittelstadt fan and still am so I'm kind of intrigued.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad