Proposal: Buffalo-Chicago

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
There's cap value.

Maybe you're ok with paying Strome 5 million to center your 3rd line. I think Chicago has significant cap issues to deal with, and this is an avenue to doing that.

What Mittelstadt does for you, is maintain a high skill center spine behind Toews, without requiring the costs of Kane/Debrincat driven production that Strome has now arrived at.

There is a huge flaw in this thinking.

IF the problem was that they don't want to pay Strome (no reason to think that, but whatever) they can deal him for something which a) fits a need and b) is better value than Middelstadt. Then if they really wanted to go out and get a young prospect who hasn't quite developed like hoped, they can get that guy with less assets.......

kinda like they did with Strome in the 1st place.

BUF wouldn't be the only team interested in Strome, so this offer would get beat easily.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I would agree, Cozens > Strome >>> Mittelstadt is a ballpark of how I'd value them.

Don't blame CHI for not being interested in the OP, but Cozens is probably the first player listed after the 2 obvious and only true "untouchables" in the entire Sabres organization.

Strome is actually proven and has played at a 70 pt pace. Cozens in the end is only magic beans and the odds of him being as good as Strime is far but a guarantee just look at how Mittelstadts stock has dramatically fell.. too much risk for what is being given up

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Strome is actually proven and has played at a 70 pt pace. Cozens in the end is only magic beans and the odds of him being as good as Strime is far but a guarantee just look at how Mittelstadts stock has dramatically fell.. too much risk for what is being given up

Anyone who watched Mitts play in college could've told you he wasn't NHL ready and signing him to his ELC when we did wasn't a great idea. Cozens is a very different player. He may just be "magic beans," but he's really good magic beans, and the Sabres aren't moving him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Strome is much more valuable than CM, then you're basically offering Saad for Montour and ER/2nd which is still favoring Buffalo. Chicago gets worked pretty hard here either way. I will be honest I think Montour is not a very good dman either

CM hasn't shown much and ER is a depth player.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Anyone who watched Mitts play in college could've told you he wasn't NHL ready and signing him to his ELC when we did wasn't a great idea. Cozens is a very different player. He may just be "magic beans," but he's really good magic beans, and the Sabres aren't moving him.

And any deal for Strome with Meddling Stats being a center piece is by default an awful trade. You have to include someone who isn’t a complete bust. Mittelstadt doesn’t even have the value of a first or 2nd rounder at this point

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I think the value for the Hawks is in deferring and better aligning the costs of their center spine.

Strome is currently at a 55 points per 82 game pace over the last 2 seasons. Do the Hawks want to inevitably be paying for that type of production from a young 2C if Dach is taking that role?

Strome to Mittelstadt kicks the can on paying that price, while largely retaining the same skillset.

Montour is a pretty big upgrade to a blueline that struggles in transition, while Saad is 80ish games from returning 2nd round rental value.

I don't think it looks good on paper for Chicago... but that doesn't make it a bad move

It’s even worse than your sugar coating it to be Mittelstadt isn’t an NHL player while Strime can play at a 60-70pt pace and is on the cusp of being a 1C. CM isn’t even on the cusp of being an NHL player yet

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Am I missing something here? Hasn’t Strome been a 52-54ish point scorer this year and throughout his career? (Which is still no joke obviously).

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Mittelstadt is ass.
Rodrigues is ass.
Hawks don't need a RHD, so no interest in Montour.

A 2nd round pick ain't getting you Strome and Saad.

Terrible proposal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad