GDT: Buffalo @ Calgary: Hungry Like A Wolf (Except Not) [Flames win 4-1]

Aug 3, 2010
To be fair, this is only the 2nd season of Tank Mode for the Sabres. Maybe in their 5th or 6th season, like the Oilers, will they actually start to dislike losing.

Technically, they've lost for 45 years. :laugh:

As a Sabres fan I want to see them win but it would be a pyrrhic victory. Stealing points from a team that should beat you is not helpful to the team THIS year. So I am happy to cheer for teams that I will never cheer for again after this year! Not that Calgary ever did that....
Seeing as you're one of the posters I quoted earlier...

Believe it or not, hockey's a team game and one 18-year old will not change your fortunes. If Gretzky, the most dominant player of all time, could not bring success to the Los Angeles Kings or the St Louis Blues just by his very presence, McDavid will not either.

The question is, "do you have the other pieces to find success?" Because the L.A. team that finally did win their first Cup had nearly every piece in place beforehand... then finished off the grocery list adding Sutter as Head Coach, and acquiring Carter and Richards, who are/were star players in their own right, but nowhere near a Gretzky.

Pittsburgh, another club that drafted a prodigy, won a Cup a few seasons after drafting Crosby... but Malkin is the other "Top-3 in the World" centre on that team who won the Conn Smythe. He was drafted before Crosby, as was Orpik, Gonchar, Fleury, Dupuis, Talbot... all key contributors who were already on the team before Crosby was drafted. Can Buffalo claim the same?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Believe it or not, hockey's a team game and one 18-year old will not change your fortunes. If Gretzky, the most dominant player of all time, could not bring success to the Los Angeles Kings or the St Louis Blues just by his very presence, McDavid will not either.

The question is, "do you have the other pieces to find success?" Because the L.A. team that finally did win their first Cup had nearly every piece in place beforehand... then finished off the grocery list adding Sutter as Head Coach, and acquiring Carter and Richards, who are/were star players in their own right, but nowhere near a Gretzky.

Pittsburgh, another club that drafted a prodigy, won a Cup a few seasons after drafting Crosby... but Malkin is the other "Top-3 in the World" centre on that team who won the Conn Smythe. He was drafted before Crosby, as was Orpik, Gonchar, Fleury, Dupuis, Talbot... all key contributors who were already on the team before Crosby was drafted. Can Buffalo claim the same?

Buffalo does have quite a few good pieces, so I'm hopeful for them. Their back-end is really well-stocked with Myers leading the future charge. The fact that he's in that 23-27 year-old range is really key for the Sabres, along with Tyler Ennis as well. Myers is only entering his prime as the rebuild hits bottom, so that's a good thing for them. Other blue-chip pieces on the backend include Ristolainen, Zadorov and McCabe. And even more depth with guys like Pysyk.

Then on forward of course they have Ennis and Moulson already established, with Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko also providing elite talent in the wings. Then more depth with Armia, Compher and Lemieux.

And on top of that, compared to Edmonton, once they get some traction in the league they will become a very attractive destination.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Seeing as you're one of the posters I quoted earlier...

Sums up my thought process pretty well too. 1 player WILL NOT turn your team into an instant cup favourite, no matter how good. Pittsburgh is a prime example as you mentioned. They have Malkin an all star and top player in his own right as well, a solid D core and after that 1 cup win haven't been able to do it since.

Aug 3, 2010
Buffalo does have quite a few good pieces, so I'm hopeful for them. Their back-end is really well-stocked with Myers leading the future charge. The fact that he's in that 23-27 year-old range is really key for the Sabres, along with Tyler Ennis as well. Myers is only entering his prime as the rebuild hits bottom, so that's a good thing for them. Other blue-chip pieces on the backend include Ristolainen, Zadorov and McCabe. And even more depth with guys like Pysyk.

Then on forward of course they have Ennis and Moulson already established, with Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko also providing elite talent in the wings. Then more depth with Armia, Compher and Lemieux.

And on top of that, compared to Edmonton, once they get some traction in the league they will become a very attractive destination.

I think that's more perception than reality. The perception is that Edmonton is a bad place to live or play; while it's not exactly the shining jewel of the West, it's not terrible. Furthermore, if these athletes are supposedly even half as competitive as we make them out to be, when Edmonton becomes a contender, they will attract FAs. Katz/ownership is willing to shell out competitively for FAs, and FAs are usually mercenaries looking to shine up their trophy case.

With the players you listed:
I acknowledge that they have a ton of potential but potential is like having "games in hand", they won't mean anything until fully realized. They're all quite young and have a lot to prove which means (as per the usual) it is up to the veterans to show them the way.
But will Gionta (IMO their top veteran player) really be around once they're ready to compete? Myers might be moved as early as this upcoming trade deadline. Moulson is proving that he needs a Tavares-esque talent to produce consistently - he's a very poor Kunitz, and I don't even think highly of Kunitz.

What they're hoping for is nothing short of the Oilers' dream: that all their youth coalesce and come close to reaching their ceilings all at the same time in the next three seasons. It might work (Chicago, Pittsburgh), it might not (mostly everyone else.)

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Fantastic game to be at. Have to say it got frustrating seeing us not finish so many times but then we got three to make up for it at the end.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
One player will not be enough for ANY team to win. Of course you need others and that has been the plan. Right now the Sabres future is filled with teenage or 20, 21 year olds. They need to develop--Pysyk, McCabe, Ristoleinen, Zadorov, Reinhart, Armia, Fasching, Compher, Bailey, Lemieux etc. along with older guys like Myers, Ennis....With 4 picks in the top 30 to 35 this year they will have the young corps and McEichel will give them the elite centre they need. Then the right mix of vets--when they see what they need will be kept/brought in with some 30 to 40 million in cap space available. The Sabres have a plan--and it will work even if they miss out on McEichel-but McEichel is the icing on the cake---sort of like Monahan, Bennett--late rounds for Calgary?

Aug 3, 2010
One player will not be enough for ANY team to win. Of course you need others and that has been the plan. Right now the Sabres future is filled with teenage or 20, 21 year olds. They need to develop--Pysyk, McCabe, Ristoleinen, Zadorov, Reinhart, Armia, Fasching, Compher, Bailey, Lemieux etc. along with older guys like Myers, Ennis....With 4 picks in the top 30 to 35 this year they will have the young corps and McEichel will give them the elite centre they need. Then the right mix of vets--when they see what they need will be kept/brought in with some 30 to 40 million in cap space available. The Sabres have a plan--and it will work even if they miss out on McEichel-but McEichel is the icing on the cake---sort of like Monahan, Bennett--late rounds for Calgary?

You literally repeated exactly what I said but tried to spin it in a positive light - that the Sabres miraculously will have all their youth develop and play in the NHL at the same time while reaching their potential. The truth is that it doesn't happen often. As in, less than 10% of the time, regardless of a prodigious player being drafted. The Sabres don't even have a Malkin-esque centre behind McEichel, and McEichel has a long way to lrve that he's Crosby, or that Zadorov is Letang, etc.

I don't really have anything against the Sabres as a hockey club, and if they succed, that's cool. If they don't, also not a big deal. My gripe (and many others) lies with the pro-tank fans.

Being pro-tank is simply a matter of a difference in opinion. It's obvious that you are pro-tank and we're going to have to agree to disagree on those merits. I think it's dumb as hell and that tanking teams should be sanctioned by the League.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sabres are kind of pathetic. To be perfectly blunt.
This team kept up with Calgary for a solid 20 minutes. After the first period it's like they took the foot off the gas and pushed it firmly onto the breaks.

Calgary came out in the third, like they were winning this game and they didn't care what the Sabres had to say about it. Our first line looked like an actual first line yesterday. They were dominant every shift they had on the ice.

As Johnny - Monahan - Hudler start to bend towards being a top unit in the NHL; I'm hopeful Calgary can start piecing together a second line worth noting. Backlund's been great when healthy; but he's not going to be putting up sick numbers with Boums and Jones... and Raymond - Colborne - Jooris is a solid third line... but that's about it.

I'd really like to see Sven with Backs next game, with Bouma demoted to the 4th line and Byron sitting.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Sabres are kind of pathetic. To be perfectly blunt.
This team kept up with Calgary for a solid 20 minutes. After the first period it's like they took the foot off the gas and pushed it firmly onto the breaks.

Calgary came out in the third, like they were winning this game and they didn't care what the Sabres had to say about it. Our first line looked like an actual first line yesterday. They were dominant every shift they had on the ice.

As Johnny - Monahan - Hudler start to bend towards being a top unit in the NHL; I'm hopeful Calgary can start piecing together a second line worth noting. Backlund's been great when healthy; but he's not going to be putting up sick numbers with Boums and Jones... and Raymond - Colborne - Jooris is a solid third line... but that's about it.

I'd really like to see Sven with Backs next game, with Bouma demoted to the 4th line and Byron sitting.

I agree Volica, Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler look like a legit 1st line now. My lines for tomorrow:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
Raymond - Colborne/Jooris - Jooris/Colborne
Wolf - Stajan - Bouma

-Would rather have Byron in, Bollig has been useless lately.

EDIT: Byron can sit too, forgot about Bouma. Too many B's on our team :laugh:. Byron or Raymond.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I love the way our fourth line played last night. Bollig-Stajan-Byron were very effective out there, I found. Now if only Byron could score! :cry:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Glencross is back at practice today.

Jermain Franklin @TSNJFranklin
Glencross is on the ice this am... He missed the last 4 games with a lower body injury. #BellLetsTaIk

Let's sit two of Byron/Bollig/Raymond for a game, and take a look at Baertschi/Wolf

Glencross - Backlund - Jones
Baertschi - Colborne/Jooris - Colborne/Jooris
Wolf - Stajan - Byron/Raymond/Bollig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Glencross is back at practice today.

Let's sit two of Byron/Bollig/Raymond for a game, and take a look at Baertschi/Wolf

Glencross - Backlund - Jones
Baertschi - Colborne/Jooris - Colborne/Jooris
Wolf - Stajan - Byron/Raymond/Bollig
When Glencross returns someone needs to be sent down

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
All three call-ups were healthy scratches last night. Three healthy scratches means 23 healthy guys total. AF is right. If anyone comes off the IR, then a guy needs to go down.

I totally forgot about Wotherspoon. I'd like to see him get a game.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I do not know that we agree on what is meant by tanking. I want the Sabres to play their best every shift-period. However I do not want them rushing kids to the nhl and maybe destroying them for the sake of a few points. With Girgensons, Zadorov, Ristoleinen we have 3 young kids learning the game. I also see no reason to keep expiring contracts (Vanek, Miller, Gaustad, Ott, Moulson-)when value is offered up for them as rentals--I saw no harm in trading Iginla for example. I was on board with trading for Neuvirth, Gorges, bringing in vets like Moulson for 5 years, Gionta, etc. But if we are a bad team--and at this point we are-then I would prefer to get the most value out of being bad while of course insisting the team play to its current potential. To me tanking is playing with less than the number of players you should have in your lineup-- anything come to mind-or sitting out nhl regulars for wannabes or has beens to get Mario Lemieux. This may appear to be schizophrenic--I accept that the competing interests hurt. Restructuring your team to make it better long term while continuing to coach your team filled with the best players you have capable of playing in the league at the time is not tanking with all the corruption that implies. The examples I pointed to above are. And I expect a few teams will trade assets not on expiring contracts with a view to weakening their team for this year only-and that may well be tanking with all that implies. Anyhow this is your board, not mine, so thanks for letting me give my point of view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad