Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Is it really meaningful though? I get it's new, and I get it's "real", but meaningful, not so much. Baseball has always been about the grind and playing through the attrition of injuries. It's not a grind now at all. It's a sprint. And that's simply not baseball. That's why whomever wins deserves an asterisk, whether it's physical or just in public opinion. It's just not the same.

None of the stats this year have any significance historically. Tracking HRs ERA Wins etc all mean little over a brief 60 game sprint. At least hockey had most of their regular season and despite the 24 teams in a Bruins cup would still mean something

Reactions: LSCII

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Sure, but sports have already been back. UFC has had a ton of events, MLS soccer, and NASCAR as well, if any are your cup of tea. I'm not a fan of soccer or watching people in cars take 400 left turns for hours, but I definitely enjoyed the MMA.

I guess I should have said "my sports". I'm excited for hockey, MLB and NBA.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sure, but sports have already been back. UFC has had a ton of events, MLS soccer, and NASCAR as well, if any are your cup of tea. I'm not a fan of soccer or watching people in cars take 400 left turns for hours, but I definitely enjoyed the MMA.
Indycar and NHRA just returned as well after having their seasons interrupted or paused

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
None of the stats this year have any significance historically. Tracking HRs ERA Wins etc all mean little over a brief 60 game sprint. At least hockey had most of their regular season and despite the 24 teams in a Bruins cup would still mean something

I agree that hockey is the closest to the real thing since they're basically doing the full playoffs that were cancelled. I do think that the bubble aspect changes it somewhat, but it is what it is. The big risk is if a team that's a real contender starts getting hit with players being labeled unfit to play from potential Covid-19 exposuers. If the players start dropping like flies, then it will deserve an asterisk because the teams lost players not to injury but to a virus. Look at the tournament MLS tried to put on for examples of what I mean. What, like 3 teams got yanked because of Covid? If that happens in the NBA or NHL, it will definitely put a damper on how legitimate whomever wins the cup really is.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't really get the Blue Jays thing - what's happening there? Are they not playing in Toronto? I heard about this on NY radio this morning and it was confusing as hell to hear that Toronto wouldn't be allowed to play in Pittsburgh.

Yeah, city is blocking them from playing because of the out of country teams flying into Toronto. The city does not want that at all as it's different than the players in the NHL being in a bubble and being cleared by testing before coming there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
it's not like they've been back that long, or are we going to split these hairs even more?

The only hair splitting being done here is by you. UFC has been having events since early May and have put on 11 different shows. That's not like they just came back.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, their cap issues started way before Dombrowski was here. Sure he accelerated them and made them worse, but that was his track record for every team he's ever run. Their issue was far greater than signing Sale to a long term deal while he was clearly hurt. Something the ownership absolutely signed off on, despite them pretending it was all DD going rogue. The cap issues started when they got negative press over nickel and diming Jon Lester until he walked out the door. The overreaction after that was Price's huge deal despite him not being a mentally tough enough player for this town, and of course Panda. A guy so lazy and so fat he got paid for years to not actually play here. Those deals were way more of an impact on the cap than Sale's extension.

Yeah, this is where the ownership group being inconsistent hurts them. With Lester, they had all this research that signing 30 year old pitchers was a bad idea. They were content because they had just won the World Series the year before, and then they have a terrible year, so they panicked and signed Hanley and Sandoval. Then they have a second bad year, fire Cherington, hire Dombrowski, and then he signs Price and starts overpaying in trades.

Most of their problems could be solved by sticking with a consistent strategy. For an ownership group that's been as successful as any in the 21st century, they panic faster than anyone else.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Well clearly that's all of sports then, isn't it? It's not like the comment was made in the baseball thread, referencing the return of baseball.

One sport returned in May, so we've had sports...

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Yeah, city is blocking them from playing because of the out of country teams flying into Toronto. The city does not want that at all as it's different than the players in the NHL being in a bubble and being cleared by testing before coming there.
It's actually the Canadian Government that don't want it, the city and the Province wanted.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah, this is where the ownership group being inconsistent hurts them. With Lester, they had all this research that signing 30 year old pitchers was a bad idea. They were content because they had just won the World Series the year before, and then they have a terrible year, so they panicked and signed Hanley and Sandoval. Then they have a second bad year, fire Cherington, hire Dombrowski, and then he signs Price and starts overpaying in trades.

Most of their problems could be solved by sticking with a consistent strategy. For an ownership group that's been as successful as any in the 21st century, they panic faster than anyone else.

There's no question they are a reactionary group, to a fault. Its easier and more cost effective to groom your own prospects to be key players than it is to go out and spend crazy money on free agents. In this case, they had that in Betts but just like with Lester, they let him walk for what ended up being marginal dollars year over year.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I like baseball

I don't really care for NASCAR/Indycar/F1, don't watch MMA, and haven't had the time to watch European soccer at 6 AM on weekends. So as far as I'm concerned, MLB is the resumption of my regular sports life, so I'm excited.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The only hair splitting being done here is by you. UFC has been having events since early May and have put on 11 different shows. That's not like they just came back.

Lonnie you're a great guy but UFC? Really? To me UFC is one step above WWE in that the blood is real. :)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Too busy listening to the pitchfork & torch people on sports and social media instead of coming up with a sound plan & sticking to it :eyeroll:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lonnie you're a great guy but UFC? Really? To me UFC is one step above WWE in that the blood is real. :)

MMA is a far more demanding sport than 99% of the sports out there. You may not like it, but it's as real as it gets. Comparing it to WWE shows me how little you know about the sport and how little you understand it. And that's fine. It's not for everyone, but again, it's a professional sport that has been back for months now, despite the hedging of and clarifications of statements by others in this thread. :laugh:

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
MMA is a far more demanding sport than 99% of the sports out there. You may not like it, but it's as real as it gets. Comparing it to WWE shows me how little you know about the sport and how little you understand it. And that's fine. It's not for everyone, but again, it's a professional sport that has been back for months now, despite the hedging of and clarifications of statements by others in this thread. :laugh:

Is baseball starting this week? is hockey, basketball and shortly football? those are sports, but hey - MMA was back in May, so we had sports..

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Will be interesting to see how pitchers are managed this year in terms of rest. Not like you have to pace your starters for a 162 games season. Could see some starts on 3 days rest as the 60 game regular season gets down to the final few games. This whole season really seems like an exhibition season.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Just saw the opening day roster. I can’t think of a worse pitching staff this team has had. Maybe the 97 team. The year between Roger and Pedro. Staff was led by Wakefield and Aaron Sele.

They've lost many pitchers that can provide innings too. Porcello Price Sale all gone. This is definitely the worst rotation I can remember recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad