Buffalo Bills: Offseason - Free Agency: Trade for Antonio Brown is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
AFC free agency fun: Le'Veon Bell to Jets? Nick Foles to Jags?

By Marc Sessler - Around the NFL Writer

The new league year begins at 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 13. This also marks the official opening of something you might care about a bit more ... 2019 NFL free agency! With the frenzy still a few weeks off, Marc Sessler perused the list of players set to hit the open market, reviewed team-by-team offseason needs and concocted one fun free-agent fit for each organization. Let's start with the AFC.

Buffalo Bills: Mitch Morse, Center

The Bills were dragged down last season by one of the league's ugliest run-blocking units. The pass protection wasn't much sunnier, forcing rookie arm Josh Allen to run for his life inside a weapons-free offense. Assuming he bolts Kansas City, Morse would give Buffalo an anchoring presence at the pivot after finishing as the sixth-best pass-blocking center in football last season, per Pro Football Focus.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
I think a lot of people are goint to be disappointed when the Bills don't get any big free agents. Having a ton of cap doesn't mean anything if most players don't want to play in Buffalo.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills re-sign LB Deon Lacey

b3tjhbsvm2ouvk2pqlvw.png

Another key contributor on Buffalo’s special teams is back in the fold. After re-signing long snapper Reid Ferguson and gunner Lafayette Pitts, the Bills brought LB Deon Lacey back into the fold signing him to a one-year contract.

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Brian Daboll happy to “jump right into it” with Josh Allen this year

Posted by Josh Alper on February 21, 2019, 6:59 AM EST

The Bills didn’t know who their starting quarterback would be when they started offseason work last year.

Nathan Peterman remained from the 2017 team, AJ McCarron joined the team in free agency and they drafted Josh Allen in the first round, which meant they were splitting up work with the first team among a variety of players. Allen wound up finishing the season as both the starter and the only member of the trio on the team, which sets up a very different offseason this time.

Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll said he thought that Allen improved across the board over the course of his rookie season and having “the ability to jump right into it” this offseason is something that sets the stage for even more growth.

“You can’t coach experience,” Daboll said, via Matthew Fairbun of The Athletic. “There’s a lot of things we have to get better at no question about it. But to be able to have a baseline, again learning the language, learning a playbook is like learning a new language for the most part. You come from one system and go to the next. You call this formation this, but we call it this. You call this protection this, but we call it this. You have to learn. That takes time to learn, too, and then to apply all of the applications to it. At least we have a baseline to start from.”

Daboll said he saw “steady progression” from Allen as a rookie and more of the same would be welcome as Buffalo looks to make sure he’s the right quarterback to build around as they plow through the mountains of cap space they’ve accumulated for the next two seasons.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Where will Antonio Brown play in 2019? It’s anyone’s guess

6Pnse0be

Brown is the type of athlete that could fit into any team’s offensive scheme and, if the WR accepts a restructured contract, into any team’s payroll as well, which makes predicting a possible trade a more than difficult task.

By ANDY BENOIT - February 21, 2019

Antonio Brown is available for trade, and predicting where he will land (or what the Steelers will get in return) is like guessing where the pill will stop on a roulette wheel. Never has the destination for an NFL star on the trading block been so difficult to forecast.

Brown, who turns 31 years old in July, is a top-shelf No. 1 receiver on the field right now. He’s shown no marked sign of decline, but history and science suggest he could soon. His greatest strength is the speed and quickness he has getting in and out of his breaks, which is all predicated on balance—one of the first attributes an aging athlete loses. When Brown’s game does start going downhill, it could roll quickly.

However Brown is the NFL’s craftiest contested catch artist not named DeAndre Hopkins. Some teams might see Larry Fitzgerald-type longevity in store for him. It might not matter, though, because most likely whoever deals for Brown will see him as a two-year rental, with decisions about 2021 and future years to be made later.

Brown’s behavior off the field, especially last season, is another story. In recent years rumors and gripes about his diva behavior have poured in. And it’s likely that those stories are just the tip of the iceberg, considering that is has always been, and is now especially, in the Steelers’ best interest to keep ugly Brown stories sealed. As an outsider looking in, here’s what we can see from afar:

And then there are the teams whose quarterbacks have unique sandlot playmaking abilities and would value Brown’s sense for uncovering late in the down—a skill he mastered playing with one of history’s greatest playmaking QBs, Ben Roethlisberger. Those teams:

Buffalo
Baltimore
Seattle
Green Bay

Don’t be surprised if Brown winds up somewhere that most people think was totally unexpected.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I just can't imagine the Pegulas being interested in a guy like Brown. Not too mention the possibility of him showing frustration/tantrums with Josh if he continues to struggle with his throwing accuracy.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

The Bills hopefully will get this guy signed.

I wonder what kind of contract he gets. He excelled in a rotational roll, butndoes he get legit started money? Is he worth it? Do his behavior issues cost him money? Just how good is he? End of the day, I can’t help but think some team that needs a starting DT gives him a very real contract to come in and be a bonafide starter. Given what a scarce position it is, I could easily see him getting a contract similar to what we gave Star.

His whole contract situation fascinates me.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I wonder what kind of contract he gets. He excelled in a rotational roll, butndoes he get legit started money? Is he worth it? Do his behavior issues cost him money? Just how good is he? End of the day, I can’t help but think some team that needs a starting DT gives him a very real contract to come in and be a bonafide starter. Given what a scarce position it is, I could easily see him getting a contract similar to what we gave Star.

His whole contract situation fascinates me.

I'd be very surprised if that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad