Buffalo Bills: Offseason - Free Agency: Trade for Antonio Brown is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Honestly I've studied the draft less this year than ever before. I'm no expert by any means. By biggest feeling though is that I just want offense. The abortion of a superbowl notwithstanding, I really feel defensive talent is becoming less and less relevant. If you have a good coach, you can usually scheme yourself to competent defense, which is as much as I care about having (see: McDermott last two years). That said, players I have my eye on in general:

High First Round
DK Metcalf: Seems to be a consensus growing that he's the top talent at WR. I have my concerns, for example him missing so much time with injury. But also, his size. I have no interest in another Kelvin Benjamin type. Much of his highlights are him dominating smaller competition. Now there's also examples of him gaining down the field separation, but what I don't see his him running quick, underneath routes to gain catch and run separation underneeth, which worries me. But I'm no scout. If he really his the bonafide top receiver, best in the class, I have no qualms with using #9 on him.

Any of the Offensive Tackles: I don't know much about them. Williams sounds like the safest, but that was also true about Mike Williams so who knows. An OT at 9 wouldn't be very exciting, but it would be impossible to argue with or find fault in.

Late first/Early second targets
Marquise Brown: I'm seeing him mocked as a second round pick which I find unbelievable. In any event, it doesn't sound like he's being projected as a top 10 pick, so I won't beat that drum. As I've said, he's my favorite receiver by a long shot. The NFL has clearly moved away from the big contested catch receivers and toward small, quick, gain separation receivers. He's likely the fastest receiver in the draft, had superb college production, and has made a career out of gaining separation to excel. He could have Tyreek Hill type big play ability, though he's probably not quite as fast. The kind of speed infusion he would bring to the team is exactly what this offense needs. The fact that he will likely fall because of his size makes him all the more salivating to me.

Paris Campbell: Another burner that I haven't seen getting a lot of love lately. Productive in college and legitimate speed. I don't like him as much as Brown, but I wouldn't complain about adding his speed either. He was Haskin's #1 receiver.

Any other OL: Again, I don't know them. At this point I'd be more open to taking an interior lineman if that's the best lineman on the board. Our OL was trash, can't fault any OL pick.

Josh Jacobs: Yes, I subscribe to the "never a RB in the first round ever" philosophy. But (1) in the event we trade way down; (2) there isn't a WR or OL we like available; and (3) Jacobs really is the real deal, I might get on board. I don't know a lot about Jacobs, most don't, because he hasn't played much. But from what I'm reading, he's being hyped as the best skill set in the draft. He's every bit the model of the modern NFL RB. Good hands, very fast, has the body to play 3 downs, and very very little tread on his tires. Our RB situation is horrid, and if the brass is confident he really is the best RB in the class, I wouldn't hate the pick in the late first. Our offense needs an infusion of talent, even if it comes at the RB position.

Day 2 targets
Bryce Love: Another of my favorite players in the draft. Going into the year he was touted as the top RB in college and future locked first round pick. Then he had an injury plagued year that was capped off with a torn ACL, ouch. Given the type of player he is, undersized speedster, this will just reinforce the narrative on him and push him down draft boards. But given his talent, if healthy he's probably still the most explosive back in the draft. He's Kamara/McCaffrey-lite, electric speed and WR-type ability out of the backfield of in the slot. He's exactly what our offense has been missing from the RB position since Shady started going downhill. I'd love to bring him in and use him at first just as a third down back, let McCoy hone in on just being a between the tackles guy. I'd be ecstatic with him in the second or third.

Any fast receiver:I don't know the other names. But I want speed at the position. If we don't take one of the guys mentioned above in the first or second, a third round receive is imperative. Need youthful speed at the position.

Any other OL: Need to draft at least one somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

A TE: I'm not familiar with the class. Philosophically I'm against taking TE's in the first round because I think they're so hard to project (sort of like goalies in hockey). But I do think grabbing one on day 2 would be a good idea. Fant and Hockenson seem to be the favorite names? I have no preferences.

So those are my guys. I guess if you would ask my dream scenario is would be:
-Trade back and get an extra second
-Late First: Marquise Brown
-Second Round: OL and TE
-Third round: Bryce Love
I like Metcalf alot and am hoping he is our pick but I also like Marquise Brown alot for different reasons as a WR. Brown as you mentioned could be our version of Tyreek Hill. I wouldn’t mind drafting an OL with pick 1 if I knew we we were guaranteed Brown with our 2nd. Dream Scenario would be to trade #1 and pick up an additional 2nd and grab both Metcalf and Brown along with Jacobs or best available OL thru round 2.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I like Metcalf alot and am hoping he is our pick but I also like Marquise Brown alot for different reasons as a WR. Brown as you mentioned could be our version of Tyreek Hill. I wouldn’t mind drafting an OL with pick 1 if I knew we we were guaranteed Brown with our 2nd. Dream Scenario would be to trade #1 and pick up an additional 2nd and grab both Metcalf and Brown along with Jacobs or best available OL thru round 2.

That would be immense.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I know it seemed like the obvious move, but it's nice to see the front office consistently cut the dead weight from this roster. I actually have faith in these guys unlike the Sabres front office.
Clay needed to be an All-Pro to justify that horrible contract. I hope people are realizing how bad Doug Whaley was at his job.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

9. Buffalo Bills

D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
Quarterback Josh Allen had an up-and-down rookie season in Buffalo, but he needs better pass-catching options in Year 2. That's how we can fully evaluate his development. You might remember Metcalf from this viral photo from last week -- he's a 6-foot-4, 230-pound physical specimen who is going to test well at the combine. There is some projection here, as Metcalf missed most of the 2018 season with a scary neck injury and only caught 67 passes in his college career. But he is a big-play threat -- check out this catch -- who is the best "big" receiver in this class.

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Might be wishful thinking, but how would you guys feel if this is how the off-season shook out.

Bills sign:

Matt Paradis
Daryl Williams
Tyrell Williams

Bills also find a way to move around the draft to pick up:

Jonah Williams or Jawaan Taylor
Marquise Brown
T.J. Hockenson

You have three new lineman, along with a (hopeful) bounce back year from Dawkins.

Allen has three new targets in the passing game while still having Foster and Jones to improve. Is that enough to make us a legitimate playoff contender next season? (This is assuming other moves would be made as well, like getting DT help, etc.)

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011

Marquise Brown
T.J. Hockenson
I would like this alot but I dont think all 3 would be possible. Williams and Taylor both seem to be top 15 roughly. Hockenson has been climbing and seems be getting mocked in the 20th pick range and Brown most likely will go in the 20 range to early 2nd round. Anything is possible and it would a dream draft scenario but I dont see it happening. I myself would be pretty ecstatic landing any 2 of the 3.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think we can probably cross Marquise Brown off the bills list, unfortunately. Their fascination with “availability” will probably preclude them from taking him, even if there’s great second day value.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I think we can probably cross Marquise Brown off the bills list, unfortunately. Their fascination with “availability” will probably preclude them from taking him, even if there’s great second day value.
I hope you’re wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Might be wishful thinking, but how would you guys feel if this is how the off-season shook out.

Bills sign:

Matt Paradis
Daryl Williams
Tyrell Williams

Marquise Brown
T.J. Hockenson

You have three new lineman, along with a (hopeful) bounce back year from Dawkins.

Allen has three new targets in the passing game while still having Foster and Jones to improve. Is that enough to make us a legitimate playoff contender next season? (This is assuming other moves would be made as well, like getting DT help, etc.)

I think the free agents could happen. They have the cap space.

I don’t think there’s any way they’d be able to get enough capital to draft all 3 of those players in the draft though.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
As much as I want Tyrell Williams, there is no way he chooses Buffalo over Indy who also has a boat load of cap space. As much as I like the potential in Allen, wouldn’t you choose to have Luck throwing you the ball?

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Two things:

1. They should be concerned with "availability" as there is no benefit to having a player if they can't playing.
2. I don't think you can say they have a fascination with "availability" since they gave a big contract to Trent Murphy; for example.

Marquise Brown and DK Metcalf have injury concerns, but I don't think the Bills should or will take them off their board unless the doctors find something on their physical that has longterm ramifications.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

Bills sign:

Matt Paradis
Daryl Williams
Tyrell Williams

Marquise Brown
T.J. Hockenson

I like the thought, but I'm afraid that is too good to be true. And I'm not a pessimist that will immediately tell you "no free agents want to sign in Buffalo". The FAs are entirely possible. However, something extreme would have to happen in order to acquire all three draft prospects.

Trade down with Washington (for QB) to 15 and grab Taylor, move back up into the 1st for Hockenson and Brown's injury makes him slip to 3rd or later? Otherwise you'd have to trade someone like Tre White to get the draft capital to make it happen and I'm not a fan of that idea.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Antonio Brown meets with Steelers president Rooney

The meeting between Antonio Brown and Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney II finally went down.

The wide receiver tweeted on Tuesday that the sides met and "...both agreed that it is time to move on..."

The Steelers have yet to weigh in on the nature of the discussion between Brown and Rooney.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the Steelers agreed to work on the potential trade but Brown and his agent Drew Rosenhaus do not have permission to speak with other teams, per a source informed of the situation.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
I know it's not a pressing need, but it seems everyone is massively underrating Tyree Jackson - some mocks even predicting he go undrafted. I know nothing, but I'm sure there's some UB fans here who might. He worth taking with a mid pick?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Looking at that list, two under the radar free agents I like that I want to flag are Bilal Powell and Corey Grant. They're both in the mold of smallish/fast/pass catching/third down backs. This, IMO, is a huge need for our offense, given both our current composition and the way the NFL is trending. Powell is a known commodity, but his age and recent injury history should limit him to a one year deal (perfect for us). Grant, on the other hand, I've always been a fan of and thought he was very underutilized in Jax. He has some homerun potential. He's the kind of guy I could see going to NE and busting out. Would love to add either of them in an Austin Ekeler type role.

Reactions: Sabreality

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

MOCK DRAFT
Defense Sweeps Round 1
Charley Casserly has defense leading the pack, while Kyler Murray sits outside of the top 10. Take a look at his first round mock draft to see where the top guys will go.

4qss2g.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad