Buffalo Bills (5-10): Next game 12/30 vs. Dolphins (7-8); Kyle Willams Announces His Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
For me it's not about the quality of investment, it's about the quantity. The Rams and Chiefs both have amazing offensive schemes spearheaded by creative, offensively-rooted, forward-thinking head coaches. They can compensate for talent with their scheme.

We don't have that. We need to invest as many assets as possible to make up the difference. Let our defensive head coach compensate for talent with scheme on that side of the ball...

I don't think anyone would describe those teams as having offensive schemes that make up for a lack of talent. They have talent. My point was that they didn't need to use 1st round picks to get it. I'd have to think that drafting something like DL, OL, WR, RB, TE in rounds 1-4 would satisfy a desire for a large quantity of offensive investment.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I don't think anyone would describe those teams as having offensive schemes that make up for a lack of talent. They have talent. My point was that they didn't need to use 1st round picks to get it. I'd have to think that drafting something like DL, OL, WR, RB, TE in rounds 1-4 would satisfy a desire for a large quantity of offensive investment.

They absolutely do. Perhaps 'lack of talent' was poor phrasing, but my point was that scheme makes up for a difference in talent. Bob Woods isn't as talented as Deandre Hopkins, but his production is similar. In KC, Tyreke Hill is a dynamic playmaker that's 2nd in the league in yds, but in our offense what would he be? Marquise Goodwin?

McVay doesn't need an elite Oline and weapons like Julio Jones to field an explosive offense. In 2016 he fielded one of the best offenses in the league with Cousins, Thompson, Garcon, Jackson, and Crowder. Give any other coordinator those weapons and that offense is in the bottom third of the league.

I equate the offensive minds on our staff to... Atlanta. The only way to a good offense is with elite players like Ryan, Jones, Freeman, etc. If we can unearth these guys after the first round, great. But until our scouts prove they can, I want the highest quality resources dedicated to the offensive side of the ball. Then McD can turn FAs (Hyde, Poyer) and mid/low round picks (Milano) into probowlers with his scheme.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

11. Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Bills (16th overall)
The NFL’s youngest player (he won’t turn 21 until May) struggled immensely in zone coverage early in the season, making play-action the favorite tactic of every Bills opponent. But to Edmunds’s credit, he has become more patient with his reads early in the down, which has allowed him to better employ his speed late in the down. With fellow starting linebacker Matt Milano having a surprisingly stellar season before fracturing his fibula on Sunday, Buffalo’s defense is set inside for the foreseeable future. Linebackers are crucial to this team, as head coach Sean McDermott has brought over many of the double-A-gap pressures and disguises that he ran with Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis in Carolina.

From the same article:

JOSH ALLEN’S LEGS
They need to be a featured part of Buffalo’s offense. Allen has done a great job using his legs on scrambles against man coverage, where Buffalo’s increasingly vertical passing attack is lifting defenders and creating voids in the middle of the field. These last three weeks of 2018 must be spent incorporating Allen more into the foundational run game designs, like what the Panthers do with Cam Newton. The next question will be whether Allen can develop into a quality on-the-move thrower. If he can, Buffalo’s run-pass integration designs will be hard to handle in 2019 and beyond.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
NFL Week 15 Broadcast Maps

28mmq1v.jpg

FOX Broadcast Team
Play-by-Play: Joe Davis
Game Analyst: Brady Quinn
Sideline Reporter: Megan Olivi

NFL Sunday Ticket

2rh5xmq.jpg

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
12-12: Matt Waldman with Schopp & the Bulldog 21:48

Next on @WGR550: @MattWaldman. #Bills

Waldman on Allen's rookie year - I think it's been decent considering the o-line and surrounding talent. #Bills

Waldman on Allen - We still see issues crop up at times. You drool over the arm strength and his ability to throw it 50-60 yards down the field. You're seeing a lot of highs, and still some lows. #Bills

Waldman - I think there are signs of him being able to read safeties pre-snap. Where I worry about him is handling pressure, staying in the pocket, and throwing with rhythm & tempo. #Bills

Waldman on Allen - The #Bills are going to need him to make these mature decisions and right plays. Yes he makes exceptional plays, but it's that skill to find the easy plays in difficult situations that he has yet to show.

Waldman on Robert Foster - I think what you have is something between contributor and starter. The physical tools are there. #Bills

Waldman on Zay Jones - I think what you have is what you're going to get. He's not going to ever get behind a defense unless Allen goes off script. #Bills

Waldman - Need a Julio Jones, Mike Evans type option to come up with Allen. There's a lot of options in this draft class. #Bills

Waldman - You got a hell of a player in Tremaine Edmunds. Can't way to see how the #Bills continue to grow.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Bills WR Isaiah McKenzie talks Josh Allen, speed and Buffalo

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie has made a impactquickly since the team picked him up off waivers from the Denver Broncos.

McKenzie has two rushing touchdowns in four games with the Bills which ties him for second on the team with featured back LeSean McCoy.

Bills coach Sean McDermott said the team could use McKenzie's speed the day after they brought him to Buffalo.

"He's got some return ability, he's played wide receiver and the speed he plays, he plays fast," McDermott said. "He brings some speed to the table, which is a good addition."

NYUP.com started a new weekly feature this week by asking Buffalo Bills Reddit to give us questions to ask for a player they want to learn more about. Here's this week's Q&A with McKenzie, powered by Buffalo Bills Reddit.

Kyle Williams: "Continue to Prepare" (6:46)
Defensive Tackle Kyle Williams addressed the media inside the locker room topics include; LB Tremaine Edmunds leadership skills, QB Josh Allen setting into a leadership role on the offense, and his message to the team for the final three weeks.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Context for Tremaine Edmunds’s Performance vs. the Jets

Erik Turner - 12/12/2018

Rookie linebacker Tremaine Edmunds was drafted 16th overall by the Bills and immediately inserted into the middle linebacker role in Leslie Frazier’s defense. The now 20-year-old has had a rollercoaster of a season. At times his natural athleticism has shone through, but at other times his immaturity at the position has led people to question the selection.

Bob Babich, his position coach, and I talk about that often. Sometimes we’re having meetings and we’re just talking and leading meetings, and we talk about all the things that we put on his plate, and then you realize how young he is, and the fact that it’s a new position, because he was an outside linebacker in college. Now, you’re a middle linebacker in the National Football League, so young at what he’s doing, to see his growth is just incredible. You have high hopes for his future. He’s just going to keep getting better and better. -DC Leslie Frazier
Those who believe that Edmunds was over-drafted or not worth the selection may not truly understand what he is asked to do. Most fans will chalk up Frazier’s statement about Edmunds becoming more “comfortable in this system” or how “his communication, handling all the different things that show up during a ball game that he struggled with early in the season” as coach-speak, but you will see all of those things in action in this article.

So today, I want to dive into Edmunds’s film vs. the Jets to show you some of his good and bad plays, but more importantly, to give you some context surrounding what he is being asked to do. This should help you understand why he was in a position to make the interception downfield and why he was half a click late and unable make the tackle on another play.

One of the major coverages the Bills play is quarters. You will see it creep up several times in this game, so I’ll give you a crash course into quarters coverage from the perspective of the Mike linebacker. One of the main ways to beat this coverage is to attack the middle linebacker, and teams did that frequently in 2017 when Preston Brown was the Mike. They had a ton of success. Edmunds has done a much better job, but there is still room for improvement.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

ORCHARD PARK - Just like the evaluation of quarterback Josh Allen is difficult given the woeful talent around him, the same is true in judging the awful season of running back LeSean McCoy.

McCoy is now 30 years old and clearly in decline as a player, but his struggles this season are more about the incompetence of Buffalo’s offensive line and the fact that until the last three games, opposing defenses never had to worry about defending the Bills’ inept passing game.

If he was in the right situation, meaning playing behind a strong offensive line in a balanced run-pass offensive attack, McCoy would surely be having a better season than he is with the Bills in 2018.

But that’s not the case, and there’s no guaranteeing it will be all that much better next year, which is why general manager Brandon Beane should re-think the comment he made a couple of months ago when he said McCoy would be back with Buffalo in 2019.

The Bills would be foolish to retain McCoy. Cutting him is the right move for him, as it might give him a chance to flourish at the end of the line and make a final push for Hall of Fame consideration, and it’s the right move for the team, particularly from a financial standpoint given his $9 million cap figure in the last year of his contract.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills Today: Keith Ford - This is only the beginning

tnpkiktunsz5pboewrax.jpg

O’HARA’S SCOUTING REPORT: Buffalo Bills

Mike OHara - COLUMNIST

eblgmzrcq1dn5igf3uh5.jpg

It doesn’t lessen the pain for the Buffalo Bills and their legion of loyal fans that the step they’ve taken backward this year was predictable after last season’s leap forward.

Retooling can throw a wrench into expectations, and that’s happening to the Bills after a magical 2017 season under first-year head coach Sean McDermott.

They ended a 17-year postseason drought by making the AFC playoffs as a wild card with a 9-7 won-loss record.

They’re 4-9 and out of playoff contention going into Sunday’s home game against the Detroit Lions, who’ve also taken a step back after a 9-7 record that was not good enough to make the NFC playoffs.

A roster overhaul was planned under McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane regardless of last year’s record that revived the fan base.

“It was just amazing to see how it brought a lot of energy to our city and fan base,” McDermott said of the 2017 season in a conference-call interview with the Detroit media. “That was probably a once-in-a-lifetime basis, in terms of breaking a streak.”

Brian Daboll and Matt Patricia: Old friends prepare to match wits again on Sunday

bwssx73yiobw4cdpuxza.jpg

It doesn’t lessen the pain for the Buffalo Bills and their legion of loyal fans that the step they’ve taken backward this year was predictable after last season’s leap forward.

Retooling can throw a wrench into expectations, and that’s happening to the Bills after a magical 2017 season under first-year head coach Sean McDermott.

They ended a 17-year postseason drought by making the AFC playoffs as a wild card with a 9-7 won-loss record.

They’re 4-9 and out of playoff contention going into Sunday’s home game against the Detroit Lions, who’ve also taken a step back after a 9-7 record that was not good enough to make the NFC playoffs.

A roster overhaul was planned under McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane regardless of last year’s record that revived the fan base.

“It was just amazing to see how it brought a lot of energy to our city and fan base,” McDermott said of the 2017 season in a conference-call interview with the Detroit media. “That was probably a once-in-a-lifetime basis, in terms of breaking a streak.”

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Tough question to ask - but if Herbert is available when the Bills pick (unlikely) should they move on from Allen? Don't see this as a realistic scenario but they mocked it here.

Allen has obviously done some great stuff but I've seen the flaws in his game that many talked about during his draft year.

In reality - trading down seems too obvious a move from the Bills POV.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Tough question to ask - but if Herbert is available when the Bills pick (unlikely) should they move on from Allen? Don't see this as a realistic scenario but they mocked it here.

Allen has obviously done some great stuff but I've seen the flaws in his game that many talked about during his draft year.

In reality - trading down seems too obvious a move from the Bills POV.
Allen is your ride or die.

Reactions: Freeeeedom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad