Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2017 Offseason: Brandon Beane named GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
The Bills should be trying hard to re-sign Zach Brown. Preston Brown and Reggie Ragland are not going to be able to get sideline to sideline like Zach Brown. Getting him back would sure up the LBs.

Still unsure on who I want the Bills to draft. I think if one of Hooker, Adams, or Lattimore falls they have to be the pick. I still haven't decided if I prefer Williams over Davis. I also wouldn't be opposed to Foster if he's there especially if we don't get Zach Brown back.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think they can get a starting CB in the 2nd round. The draft is pretty loaded in that regard. If they can get one of the top two safeties, or their choice of WR in round one, I'll be satisfied. I really hope they can trade back and get an extra 2nd.

In my dream draft, they trade down, select Williams/Davis/Ross in round one, select Budda Baker and Jordan Lewis in Round 2.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
The Bills should be trying hard to re-sign Zach Brown. Preston Brown and Reggie Ragland are not going to be able to get sideline to sideline like Zach Brown. Getting him back would sure up the LBs.
Preston/Reggie are only candidates for MLB, while Zach translates better to the Will LB role which has been important in McDermott's scheme in Carolina.

LB is where the biggest change for the defense from Rex to McDermott is, and their current personnel really doesn't match outside of Zach Brown. Which is why I was surprised by them re-signing Alexander.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Zach Brown would certainly be a better fit in the system than our current LBers. But re-signing him definitely scares me. He's pretty much the prototypical guy that had one "good year" racking up a ton of tackles in a bad defense. But who knows, maybe it wasn't an anomaly, it was Jerry Hughes.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Zach was quite good in pass coverage, as well. He is probably overvalued due to the high tackle count, though. Which has been proven to be a near meaningless counting stat.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...h-that-might-ultimately-result-in-few-takers/

And I continue to hear that new Bills coach Sean McDermott has growing cache with ownership and that team could be bringing in vice presidents and/or personnel figures with ties to the coach in the near future.

Panthers director of player personnel is someone particularly well thought of who could end up in Buffalo after the draft in one capacity or another. There are already rumblings that the marriage of McDermott and Bills Gm Doug Whaley likely isn’t built to last.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
More reports that Whaley is out. Not that anyone is surprised (look at the roster). Just need to allow time for Pegulas to stumble their way to some kind of resolution.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Reports from who now?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...alo-that-doug-whaley-could-be-on-the-way-out/

Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan of the Buffalo News writes that it seems only a matter of time before Whaley gets moved out. Sullivan suggests that owners Kim and Terry Pegula have decided to give more authority to new head coach Sean McDermott, and Whaley’s power is limited. Sullivan even suggests that it could be that the only reason Whaley hasn’t resigned is he wants the Pegulas to fire him so they’ll be forced to keep paying him until his contract expires.

The Bills have decided that McDermott, not Whaley, will address reporters at the official annual pre-draft media event. Typically the person who answers questions in that setting is the person who’s calling the shots, and the Bills choosing McDermott to talk to the media on the team’s behalf suggests that McDermott, not Whaley, is calling the shots.

A similar situation played out in Washington in February, when G.M. Scot McCloughan was kept away from the media. A month later, McCloughan was fired.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise if Whaley is the next NFL G.M. to lose his job.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't get the potential firing of Whaley. He has been a top 10 GM from the beginning. I have never been a fan of giving a coach full authority. There needs to be an objective opinion on both sides.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't get the potential firing of Whaley. He has been a top 10 GM from the beginning. I have never been a fan of giving a coach full authority. There needs to be an objective opinion on both sides.

I see absolutely zero basis for this assertion.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Agreed. I think he's a below average GM. He's hit on some good UFA scrap heap guys like Alexander and Brown and has a decent eye for talent in the draft so some people think he's a great talent evaluator. Trading the farm for Sammy Watkins was a huge gaffe given our QB situation and it'll be the move that likely defines his tenure here. This team is about the same as it has been for the last 2 decades and given new ownership that is willing to spend big money, there should have been a step forward taken by now or a rebuild should have been intiated. Ultimately, he should have been canned with Ryan.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

If the Pegulas have bought into McDermott being here to oversee a rebuild of the franchise, it makes sense to put a GM in place that shares the same philosophies and have some sort of working relationship rather than keeping 2 guys who may not work well together. If Whaley was really that good, he wouldn't be under the gun like he is now with the amount of time he has had to mold the roster and coaching staff.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He has built an extremely talented roster.

Traded up for an elite receiver in Watkins.

Traded an injured linebacker for a top 3 running back in his prime. It was reported the eagles wanted Woods to. It Whaley stood firm with just Kiko.

Signed Tyrod - he has been the most stable quarterback since Bledsoe. Tyrod is not a world beater but at least brings stability to a position that really needed it.

Since he took over in 2014, 19/20 of his draft picks are in the NFL. Karlos Williams is the only one not in but not for a lack of talent, just a lack of smarts.

15 out of 20 of those players are on the team.

Signed pro bowl players on the cheap that have had an impact. Alexander, Brown, Incognito and Taylor.

Re-signed our own guys (Something we had been awful at) on good deals. Taylor, Dareus, Incognito, Glenn.

For the bad:

Traded a good pick for Bryce Brown. Still never understood this.

May have had his hand in EJ. The team was desperate and it was a big reach considering we had many other needs. We ultimately will never no who ran the show and had final say.

Signing Clay - He paid a lot of money for a guy who is not earning the paycheck. Clay is a dangerous weapon but one that was a luxury and the money could have been spent elsewhere.

Overall he has done a great job and changed the culture around our team. I feel like he has been dragged through the mud on the rex hiring, the rex fall out and this whole he might be fired. One critique I have is I would like him to be more vocal, like Murray. I am not sure if that is his personality or if the Pegula's have him shut in somewhere. If he is fired, he would get scooped up pretty quick.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Agreed. I think he's a below average GM. He's hit on some good UFA scrap heap guys like Alexander and Brown and has a decent eye for talent in the draft so some people think he's a great talent evaluator. Trading the farm for Sammy Watkins was a huge gaffe given our QB situation and it'll be the move that likely defines his tenure here. This team is about the same as it has been for the last 2 decades and given new ownership that is willing to spend big money, there should have been a step forward taken by now or a rebuild should have been intiated. Ultimately, he should have been canned with Ryan.

I don't think Watkins should be considered a "gaffe'. EJ had shown glimpses that he could be something in his rookie year and with Stevie being dinged up and not as effective, it was identified that a true number one receiver was needed as Stevie was not the answer and EJ needed a security blanket. Doug went and got the top wideout in the draft who is an elite receiver. He paid a price for a guy he identified as a difference maker. He could have balked at the price and stayed put and took a guy like Ebron. It was the right move as the QB spot was thought to have been settled at the time.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Firing Whaley after the draft, instead of after the season, would be weird enough. Firing him right before the draft would be just bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad