Proposal: Buffalo and Islanders

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Cody Hodgson, Sam Gagner, Mike Weber, Derrick Brassard, etc., etc... You are no one to talk. But I enjoy the lengths you go to discredit me. It obviously really bugs you that you've been proven wrong on a number of our more intense debates.

Hodgson v Ennis is long from settled

Not sure what the Gagner reference is to? Is it that he has the same career ppg as Ennis?

Weber as a leader over his 3 year contract. All valid reasons held (van Ott was dumb, transition years to new leadership core)

Brassard is a top 6 center, the argument was either do whatever necessary to add another top 6 center or blow up the Rochester core and start over, they didn't add the piece needed, and blew everything up 2 yearsater

What are all those etc's for?

Not bugged at all. I enjoy any rehash with you.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't value Tyler Myers anywhere near as much as some people do. I think he's likely a 2nd pairing guy at best on a cup contending team and with his salary I'd still far prefer moving him to keeping him.

I don't think Pysyk is better now, but I think he probably will be.

I don't understand the "Myers will be a 2nd pairing...."

Do people think you do not need a very good 2nd pair to compete for a cup?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
You do.

A 5.5 million cap hit is too much for a player with that type of ceiling, I'd look elsewhere for that price.
5.5 Million isn't much more than what legit 2nd pairing D men make now. Unless we're talking about a player like Ville Leino or Cody Hodgson than listing a cap hit as a negative is such a stupid practice. At most Myers would be 500k-750k over what a good 2nd pairing D man makes. If that amount sinks the Sabres then it's a poorly built team.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You do.

A 5.5 million cap hit is too much for a player with that type of ceiling, I'd look elsewhere for that price.

Look up the list of contending teams and tell me the good defense corp which has a third defenseman who makes way less than Myers. I'll wait.

Not to mention Pysyk is going to be better than Myers? This season can't end soon enough.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
Look up the list of contending teams and tell me the good defense corp which has a third defenseman who makes way less than Myers. I'll wait.

He's in the top 20 in salaries for defenseman right now. You can't just say things and expect them to be true.

He's paid to be a #1 and he isn't. I'd much rather be the team that realizes this before it hurts them than the team that doesn't.

that said, they don't have to make a move now. They can let Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk, and McCabe develop first.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's in the top 20 in salaries for defenseman right now. You can't just say things and expect them to be true.

He's paid to be a #1 and he isn't. I'd much rather be the team that realizes this before it hurts them than the team that doesn't.

that said, they don't have to make a move now. They can let Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk, and McCabe develop first.

I'd argue that compared to contracts given under the new CBA, Myers' deal is actually a bargain, and it will only look better going forward as we see more and more players signing with the infinite years + front-loading loopholes closed.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He's not being paid to be a #1. Look at the new salary scale that's being established under the latest CBA and Canadian TV deal.

Drivefor5

Jul 31, 2010
NJ
I'd trade Myers for Nelson and Reinhart. Not sure, because I haven't seen how Reinhart has played this year.

You are certainly within your right to ask for that, but that would be a serious NO!!

I am giving up Nelson Because I believe that is what it would take to make that trade. Certainly I love Nelson and would hate to give him up.

If you were honest with yourself you would know what you are asking for is way over payment. Did'nt you screw us enough on the Vanek deal? :sarcasm: Greedy, Greedy, Greedy :shakehead

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Not to mention Pysyk is going to be better than Myers? This season can't end soon enough.

An end of year "top 10 dumbest things said this year" is going to be fun... So far, "the roster is better" is a shoe in for first place.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You are certainly within your right to ask for that, but that would be a serious NO!!

I am giving up Nelson Because I believe that is what it would take to make that trade. Certainly I love Nelson and would hate to give him up.

If you were honest with yourself you would know what you are asking for is way over payment. Did'nt you screw us enough on the Vanek deal? :sarcasm: Greedy, Greedy, Greedy :shakehead

A lil piggy I am I am.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

First I'm aware of what his contract is in the league, I don't think you are aware of what a second pair d man costs. Second, Myers is worth his contract and is performing like a top pairing guy under the worst of circumstances. Please tell me next how a number one guy should score more points on this team.

Jame are you keeping that list so it's ready around july.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
First I'm aware of what his contract is in the league, I don't think you are aware of what a second pair d man costs. Second, Myers is worth his contract and is performing like a top pairing guy under the worst of circumstances. Please tell me next how a number one guy should score more points on this team

You think I care about points? he's a defenseman. I think he can chip in a lot more on a better roster, but I'm hardly losing sleep over his point totals.

He's a great skater without terrific possession numbers, this leads me to believe he doesn't possess a particularly high hockey IQ. Now for the most part he's got the athletic ability and size to compensate for those mental shortcomings, but he screams a solid 2nd pairing defenseman to me and has for a long time now. I don't think Myers is a bad player, I think he's a good player with a bad contract.

This is a league where Hjalmarsson makes 4.1m and Andrej Sekera makes 2.75m, there's absolutely better and more consistent players you can put on your second pairing that won't cost nearly as much as Tyler Myers.

I'm well aware fans had high hopes for the guy, but I just don't see it anymore and I'm sorry. I still give the guy a lot of credit for turning around his game, but he's just not living up to that early promise to me and he likely never will.

I hope we can all still be friends, hfboards. Rasmus Ristolainen is super fun and he can be everything I don't see in Tyler Myers.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
Also: that trade in the OP is crazy, please don't think I want to trade Tyler Myers for a bag of pucks. I'd accept nothing short of a massive overpayment until Risto and Zadorov are ready to be a top pairing full time.

ADoubleD

Jul 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
You think I care about points? he's a defenseman. I think he can chip in a lot more on a better roster, but I'm hardly losing sleep over his point totals.

He's a great skater without terrific possession numbers, this leads me to believe he doesn't possess a particularly high hockey IQ. Now for the most part he's got the athletic ability and size to compensate for those mental shortcomings, but he screams a solid 2nd pairing defenseman to me and has for a long time now. I don't think Myers is a bad player, I think he's a good player with a bad contract.

This is a league where Hjalmarsson makes 4.1m and Andrej Sekera makes 2.75m, there's absolutely better and more consistent players you can put on your second pairing that won't cost nearly as much as Tyler Myers.

I'm well aware fans had high hopes for the guy, but I just don't see it anymore and I'm sorry. I still give the guy a lot of credit for turning around his game, but he's just not living up to that early promise to me and he likely never will.

I hope we can all still be friends, hfboards. Rasmus Ristolainen is super fun and he can be everything I don't see in Tyler Myers.

Yeah and Sekera isn't going to be making that for much longer. Sekera is most likely going to get $5-6 mil per year for 5 or so years this July.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Also: that trade in the OP is crazy, please don't think I want to trade Tyler Myers for a bag of pucks. I'd accept nothing short of a massive overpayment until Risto and Zadorov are ready to be a top pairing full time.

Why do people think when Risto and Zads become top pairing defencemen we dont need Myers?

We need 6 defencemen to ice a team and at least 4 good ones to win a stanley cup.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

And this is also a league, where Dan Girardi and Brooks Orpik get 5,5 m, Andrew MacDonald 5 m, Marc Staal 5,7 m and Matt Niskanen 5,75 mil.

So there's that.

ZeroPT*

He's going to make upwards of 5 next year.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

As others have said, Sekera is going to be paid much more in his next contract, so that's a bad example.

And Myers is playing at a top pairing level right now. That contract is just fine, and will just get better over time.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Didn't say that, but there is some merit to it. I'm not going to completely dismiss it. All I said was that there are some people that think Pysyk > Myers, which is true.
Meh. I'm the Islander fan you guys were attacking in that thread and even I don't see any reason why Pysyk can't be just as successful in his role as Nelson is in his role. It's an apple and oranges comparison.

Both nice young players with solid upside.

Pysyk looks a lot like Calvin de Haan to me, a player isles management loves.

SabresBills2012

Apr 27, 2012
I'm staying away from the Islanders, unless i can their 2016 1st, because that team will wake and realize that they really do suck, and Myers is not going either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad