Friedman: Buffalo and Columbus (Reinhart)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Holy hell no. Wouldn't do that for Jones alone.
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure it looks great for either team. If Jones opts for free agency, they could be left with just Merzlikins and the Jones rental return. Good chance they could get more selling off Reinhart and Ristolainen separately.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Assuming you guys still have Laine, Atkinson, Werenski, and Merzlinkins, why couldn't you guys make a quick turnaround?
There's gonna be A LOT of good pieces on the market this offseason.
Hall, Hamilton, Martinez, Kuznetsov, Monahan, Hoffman, Krecji, maybe even Marner depending on how tonight goes. You could get Savard back too. If CBJ uses their assets to acquire a top line center and a new top pair D, and you bring in a fresh coach, then I don't see why you couldn't compete in the Metro next year.

Domi - xxxx - Laine
Nyquist - Reinhart - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Roslovic - Atkinson

Werenski - xxxx
Gavrikov - Savard

And you have three 1st Round Picks, Seth Jones, Boone Jenner, and a whole lot of cap space to figure out the rest.

Yes the Jackets have the players, assets, and cap space to orchestrate a quick turnaround. Theoretically they could sign half of the UFAs out there and have a great team. The problem is going to be persuading them to get on board, and that's hard to do when the rats are jumping off the ship.

I personally have suggested making a big splash trade (think Jones + for Eichel in a three way trade, or Jones for Marner) to shock the system before free agency opens, and then hopefully be able to persuade UFAs that we aren't going under.

Reactions: Deku and CBJx614

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Not happening now that Jones isn't staying. Makes no sense for Columbus to go for a win now piece like Reinhart and struggle when Reinhart's clearly signalling that he doesn't want to go to a losing team.
Maybe they go in for a all out push?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe they go in for a all out push?

“The No. 1 thing we’d like to do is keep Seth,” Davidson told The Athletic on Sunday. “He has every right in the world to leave if he wants to not extend the contract, but we’ll do what’s best for our team. We just want players who want to be here.
“This is a different scenario (than in 2019). We were in a position (then) where we thought we had a chance to make a pretty good run at (the Stanley Cup). Beating Tampa Bay (in the first round) was great. Losing to Boston in six … it was a good series, and they lost in seven in the Final.”

Sources have told The Athletic that the Blue Jackets, barring a change of heart by Jones, are likely to trade Jones this summer, most likely near the NHL Draft in late July.

Change of plans: Blue Jackets likely to trade Seth Jones without contract extension

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Isn't Reinhart a C

He played primarily RW in the nhl until this season. Thing is he broke out into a better player at center so yeah his value as a center is higher to other clubs in need of a center. Don’t think Edmonton is a realistic option.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The Blue Jackets do not have the right assets for Eichel. In my opinion one of the worst landing spots.
I beg to differ sir, the Blue Jackets have Bjorkstrand, Robinson, Bemstrom, Jones, Gavrikov, Korpisalo, Merzlikins, Chinakhov, Foudy, Texier, Stenlund and Peeke as trade chips to go along with the three 2021 1st round picks Columbus has in their possession.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He played primarily RW in the nhl until this season. Thing is he broke out into a better player at center so yeah his value as a center is higher to other clubs in need of a center. Don’t think Edmonton is a realistic option.

Over a very limited sample size.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It's better that they trade Reinhart to a much more promising team. I'd say either the Avalanche or Hurricanes.

Carolina:
Sam Reinhart

Buffalo:
1st 2021
Joey Keane
Anttoni Honka

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I beg to differ sir, the Blue Jackets have Bjorkstrand, Robinson, Bemstrom, Jones, Gavrikov, Korpisalo, Merzlikins, Chinakhov, Foudy, Texier, Stenlund and Peeke as trade chips to go along with the three 2021 1st round picks Columbus has in their possession.

Foudy, your best prospect isn't a center, Robinson isn't that appealing. Jones will not sign here, and Peeke and Stenlund have marginal value. Easy pass. Texier, is appealing but there just is not an elite asset in there. Pass!

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
\late 1st + spare parts doesnt do it

It would cost you Jarvis+1st+

Sounds steep for 1 year of Reinhart. Probably too steep.
CBJ and BUF fans are in the same boat in that regard. Pray heavily for the 10% chance of your guy agreeing to a sign and trade or be prepared for the usual picks and A-/B+ prospect package guys with 1 year left to UFA usually return...

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Sounds steep for 1 year of Reinhart. Probably too steep.
CBJ and BUF fans are in the same boat in that regard. Pray heavily for the 10% chance of your guy agreeing to a sign and trade or be prepared for the usual picks and A-/B+ prospect package guys with 1 year left to UFA usually return...

yeah I agree in some regard but it all depends on the acquiring team. Reinhart probably wouldn’t want to sign if he was traded to a team like Columbus. But if he went to a team with a winning pedigree I could Definitley seeing him wanting to sign there. He’s just done with losing and rebuilding.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
What are the chances Reinhart signs in Columbus?

Let's see..
DnR6.gif

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Not happening now that Jones isn't staying. Makes no sense for Columbus to go for a win now piece like Reinhart and struggle when Reinhart's clearly signalling that he doesn't want to go to a losing team.

Funny to me that Reinhart is considered a "win now" piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad