Friedman: Buffalo and Columbus (Reinhart)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah would think Jones leaving changes it.

I doubt Reinhart is ready to go to a rebuilding team

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I legit don't get why we'd want Reinhart to begin with one way or the other. Mostly because in terms of production, recent hot streaks, question marks about recent good center play, age, production and defensive analytics, I just can't see how he's in any way significantly different from what we get with Roslovic already. Except, of course, for hype and less reasons for him to stay here.

Reactions: Nucks2477

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I legit don't get why we'd want Reinhart to begin with one way or the other. Mostly because in terms of production, recent hot streaks, question marks about recent good center play, age, production and defensive analytics, I just can't see how he's in any way significantly different from what we get with Roslovic already. Except, of course, for hype and less reasons for him to stay here.

Reinhart has quite a bit better even strength defensive numbers than Roslovic.

I’m also not sure what kind of streaky player you think Reinhart is

he is the model of consistency in production

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Jones and possibly Werenski leave in the future, might be best for Columbus to just take a top end D prospect in this draft and do a quick rebuild for Wright or Bedard.

Ya, top Dman in this draft
Wright/Lambert/Lavoie next draft

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not happening now that Jones isn't staying. Makes no sense for Columbus to go for a win now piece like Reinhart and struggle when Reinhart's clearly signalling that he doesn't want to go to a losing team.
Seeing a lot of comments like this, but I feel like the overlap of "team knowing" vs "insiders knowing" may not exactly be a clean one.

If they can get a 3-4yr commitment from Reinhart, it could make a lot of sense. Its not like he has a contract currently. CLB also has a handful of transitory pieces in a similar position as Reinhart... depending on what Buffalo wants to do - and it seems like a full rebuild is not it - they may have interest in a guy like Domi. If they would consider Domi, Korpi, and another piece.... its not a big price to pay for a guy like Reinhart. No Sabres fan will say that's a good deal, and they are right.... but Sabres management has not been a paragon of good judgement.

Not saying its a slam dunk, and I don't think he would sign long-term, but Reinhart might be open to any type of change at this point.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

You mean the Sam Reinhart who has 94 goals and 205 points over the past four seasons and the Jack Roslovic who has 38 goals and 101 points in that same period?

Reinhart is 25, Roslovic is 24.
Reinhart has never scored less than 17 goals and 42 points in a season. Roslovic has never scored more than 12 or 34.
Reinhart has been above 50% in Corsi four consecutive years and was -4.8 in ExGF/A this year. Roslovic has been over 50% Corsi once in his career and was -9 in ExGF/A this year

I know many people have strong opinions on here about players they never see play, but math is clearly not a strong suit.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Not happening now that Jones isn't staying. Makes no sense for Columbus to go for a win now piece like Reinhart and struggle when Reinhart's clearly signalling that he doesn't want to go to a losing team.
Assuming you guys still have Laine, Atkinson, Werenski, and Merzlinkins, why couldn't you guys make a quick turnaround?
There's gonna be A LOT of good pieces on the market this offseason.
Hall, Hamilton, Martinez, Kuznetsov, Monahan, Hoffman, Krecji, maybe even Marner depending on how tonight goes. You could get Savard back too. If CBJ uses their assets to acquire a top line center and a new top pair D, and you bring in a fresh coach, then I don't see why you couldn't compete in the Metro next year.

Domi - xxxx - Laine
Nyquist - Reinhart - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Roslovic - Atkinson

Werenski - xxxx
Gavrikov - Savard

And you have three 1st Round Picks, Seth Jones, Boone Jenner, and a whole lot of cap space to figure out the rest.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Assuming you guys still have Laine, Atkinson, Werenski, and Merzlinkins, why couldn't you guys make a quick turnaround?
There's gonna be A LOT of good pieces on the market this offseason.
Hall, Hamilton, Martinez, Kuznetsov, Monahan, Hoffman, Krecji, maybe even Marner depending on how tonight goes. You could get Savard back too. If CBJ uses their assets to acquire a top line center and a new top pair D, and you bring in a fresh coach, then I don't see why you couldn't compete in the Metro next year.

Domi - xxxx - Laine
Nyquist - Reinhart - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Roslovic - Atkinson

Werenski - xxxx
Gavrikov - Savard

And you have three 1st Round Picks, Seth Jones, Boone Jenner, and a whole lot of cap space to figure out the rest.

Appreciate the sentiment. But let’s just say I’m not too optimistic on any player worth a damn signing here. Especially this summer. And the jackets aren’t going to be in the mood to deal futures. So, yeah.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Spit-balling here, but would something like...

Jones and Merzlikins for Reinhart and Ristolainen make sense?

Jones probably has similar value to Reinhart as a rental option, so if he sticks to his guns, the Sabres can flip him for value. Ristolainen is a guy who could arguably fill a similar role in Columbus and may be easier to convince to stick around long-term.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You mean the Sam Reinhart who has 94 goals and 205 points over the past four seasons and the Jack Roslovic who has 38 goals and 101 points in that same period?

Reinhart is 25, Roslovic is 24.
Reinhart has never scored less than 17 goals and 42 points in a season. Roslovic has never scored more than 12 or 34.
Reinhart has been above 50% in Corsi four consecutive years and was -4.8 in ExGF/A this year. Roslovic has been over 50% Corsi once in his career and was -9 in ExGF/A this year

I know many people have strong opinions on here about players they never see play, but math is clearly not a strong suit.
Going by the previous year, since prior to this year Reinhart was not a center. I do not care about another RW. I care about a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad