Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pilut and Oloffson were the exception not the norm. We need more true diamond's in the rough like them.

I'm always puzzled by this line of thinking. How do we know that he's not a viable North American player at this point? What is the harm in bringing the guy over?

its a free asset, whats the problem?

Exactly. This is like people complaining about signing Ruhwedel or Flynn back in the day -- what's wrong with adding depth? Not everyone is a star. But for a team with a wicked dearth of players with the balls to go to the net, this kid has shown that in development leagues in Finland. There is no lose to finding and signing these sort of players.

Apparently, some people feel that if he’s not Teemu Selanne, what’s the point?

I don’t know why people have to come in this thread and rain on the parade that hasn’t even been thought of let alone planned. I don’t remember reading anyone boasting about him like he was the savior.

We’re just excited to have a new member of the organization that is young and had some success in a pro league.

Yep. They may as well have not signed Fitzgerald because he and BC had a complete turd of a season. But instead, they signed someone who played well in pro games down the stretch. Or Gosselin -- he's not even on an NHL deal and yet he's helping the farm club down the stretch in a highly positive manner. No one said those guys would be stars, just nice to see serviceable players getting minutes and showing the scouts might actually have a clue.

To add to my point, wouldn't there be a certain expectation for the player to eventually be on the NHL roster before coming over? Wouldn't he just as soon stay in Finland otherwise.

You guys can go ahead and like him. I'll pass.

That's the objective - make the show. Plenty of players have signed deals and never make it. It's up to the player to produce, yet most of these guys revel at the opportunity to test themselves, to stretch to be better rather than just banking on a sure thing. As for not liking a UDFA depth signing, that's just odd.

member 311261

The predictors are in this link.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Apparently, some people feel that if he’s not Teemu Selanne, what’s the point?

I don’t know why people have to come in this thread and rain on the parade that hasn’t even been thought of let alone planned. I don’t remember reading anyone boasting about him like he was the savior.

We’re just excited to have a new member of the organization that is young and had some success in a pro league.

It's also a benefit where if/when we bring Laaksonen over, he would have somebody that he's familiar with in the organization.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
To add to my point, wouldn't there be a certain expectation for the player to eventually be on the NHL roster before coming over? Wouldn't he just as soon stay in Finland otherwise.

You guys can go ahead and like him. I'll pass.

There is absolutely no harm in bringing a guy over if he's motivated in making the NHL. It's the highest level hockey league in the world, and most players wouldn't pass on a chance to make it given an offer.

If he doesn't work out, they can agree on contract termination. If he does work, great, a low cost asset.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
The point is the metrics showed Pysyk was the better player. Murray apparently knew better.
You’re all over the place man. We’re not trading him for anybody. We need to fill an AHL roster with non vets. We didn’t hit the college free agency hard. We need some replacements for Olofsson, Nylander and probably Smith. It’s a good get with some potential.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I’m intrigued that the Finland and Sweden scouting staff seem to have a big place at Botterill’s table.

Did the Swedish/Finnish scours that Stay in place post 2017 draft when Botts started cleaning out some Murray guys?

I want to know if the guys who uncovered Goaloffson, Laaksonen, Ukka are still around

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Did the Swedish/Finnish scours that Stay in place post 2017 draft when Botts started cleaning out some Murray guys?

I want to know if the guys who uncovered Goaloffson, Laaksonen, Ukka are still around
From '11-12 through '15-16 we had former Modo GM (directly before this gig), asst coach, and player Fredrik Andersson. In '15-16 and '16-17 we had Anders Forsberg who had been the Modo head coach the two seasons prior. So I'd say Ullmark, Olofsson, and Possler were down to Andersson. There were 1-2 other Swedish scouts, though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From '11-12 through '15-16 we had former Modo GM (directly before this gig), asst coach, and player Fredrik Andersson. In '15-16 and '16-17 we had Anders Forsberg who had been the Modo head coach the two seasons prior. So I'd say Ullmark, Olofsson, and Possler were down to Andersson. There were 1-2 other Swedish scouts, though.

Don’t forget Jan-Axel Alavaara. He had a couple of years before heading to Mannheim as GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad