Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

member 311261

I'd love to know where you pulled that projection from.

He has far less ppg in the Finnish league than Matt Moulson has in the AHL. The Finnish league is by all accounts inferior to the AHL. 22+ year old players in the A with similar ppg as R2 almost never make it in the bigs.

Guys like Oloffson and Pilut were at the top of the far superior Swedish League when coming over here. Both look promising, but neither one are turning the NHL on its head.

If he was still a developing youngster, then there would still be a lot of upside. He's 1997 born and small.

If the ultimate hope is for him to be a meaningful contributor in Rochester, then fine... He can probably do that. If the dream is he's going to be a key piece to turn around the team with the longest playoff drought on the league, think again.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'd be more impressed if this was some sort of long con.

#1. Sign Ruotsalainen
#2. Get a team to agree to a trade for Ristolainen
#3. Get a person at the NHL office who regularly butchers names to do the trade call.
#4. Switch Ristolainen to Ruotsalainen on the official trade paperwork

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He has far less ppg in the Finnish league than Matt Moulson has in the AHL. The Finnish league is by all accounts inferior to the AHL. 22+ year old players in the A with similar ppg as R2 almost never make it in the bigs.

Guys like Oloffson and Pilut were at the top of the far superior Swedish League when coming over here. Both look promising, but neither one are turning the NHL on its head.

If he was still a developing youngster, then there would still be a lot of upside. He's 1997 born and small.

If the ultimate hope is for him to be a meaningful contributor in Rochester, then fine... He can probably do that. If the dream is he's going to be a key piece to turn around the team with the longest playoff drought on the league, think again.
Free asset. When you trade away your picks, you need to fill the development pipeline somehow. At least 3 forwards will move up to the big club next season, so they need to continue to bring in talent and develop depth. That's hard to do when you have holes to fill from bad drafting.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not that Ruotsolainen will be a productive NHL, but to compare him to players who had success at the SHL level who were a few years older is odd. And as to your last point, no one is saying anything of the sort. It's simply good to turn up UDFA talent for the pipeline. If one day he works his way up to being some variety of NHL player, awesome. In the meantime, finding players for the farm is important.

He might be a good roommate for UPL for next year - nothing wrong with working a couple of players into the Amerks who can support one another. And it's not like the pro scouting folks haven't found useful players for the Amerks who are smaller, gritty skill guys -- Criscuolo, Blackwell -- who fill roles and are productive.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

He is f***ing 21 years old. Seriously. If he put those numbers up in say.. College, where 21 year olds play, he would be one of the most sought after guys.

Also, HE IS f***ING 21....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He is ****ing 21 years old. Seriously. If he put those numbers up in say.. College, where 21 year olds play, he would be one of the most sought after guys.

Also, HE IS ****ING 21....

I'm thinking the same thing. Pilut's 21-year old season he had 12 points, Olofsson... 27 points and only 9 goals. There is certainly room to grow.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

And in this one bolded sentence we arrive at the foundation of your misunderstanding.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
And in this one bolded sentence we arrive at the foundation of your misunderstanding.

The poster your quoted has some suspect thinking, but the NHLe of the AHL is typically higher (~10%). SHL is a solid 20% higher than AHL's.

There are some translations that attempt to correct for sampling bias, and those tell a different story. Conclusion: comparing leagues is hard.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca

IMO, there is a sizable gap between Rochester and "key piece" in the NHL. I have no expectations of him even playing a top 6 role, but if he is a legit 3rd or 4th liner/depth scorer, its a great signing. If he only plays a role in Rochester, what have we lost? A contract slot? If you can tell me a better player that Buffalo decided not to sign instead, I'm willing to compare and debate those players.

Last edited:

member 311261

IMO, there is a sizable gap between Rochester and "key piece" in the NHL. I have no expectations of him even playing a top 6 role, but if he is a legit 3rd or 4th liner/depth scorer, its a great signing. If he only plays a role in Rochester, what have we lost? A contract slot? If you can tell me a better player that Buffalo decided not to sign instead, I'm willing to compare and debate those players.

All I'm saying is check your expectations. His trajectory is no better than to be a contributor in Rochester and nothing more. If he fills the gap for Goalof or nylons be happy. There's nothing about him that says he can help the Sabres.

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

member 311261

I'm thinking the same thing. Pilut's 21-year old season he had 12 points, Olofsson... 27 points and only 9 goals. There is certainly room to grow.

Pilut and Oloffson were the exception not the norm. We need more true diamond's in the rough like them.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
All I'm saying is check your expectations. His trajectory is no better than to be a contributor in Rochester and nothing more. If he fills the gap for Goalof or nylons be happy. There's nothing about him that says he can help the Sabres.
Have you... watched him play hockey?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That was Tim Murray's reason for trading Pysyk for Kulikov. He saw him play and wanted him. How'd that work out?
So I take that as a 'no'. Maybe you should temper your own expectations rather than telling other people to when your expectations aren't based on having seen the player play. As to the nonsense you just said I'll just nod and say 'ok'.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
its a free asset, whats the problem?
Apparently, some people feel that if he’s not Teemu Selanne, what’s the point?

I don’t know why people have to come in this thread and rain on the parade that hasn’t even been thought of let alone planned. I don’t remember reading anyone boasting about him like he was the savior.

We’re just excited to have a new member of the organization that is young and had some success in a pro league.

member 311261

To add to my point, wouldn't there be a certain expectation for the player to eventually be on the NHL roster before coming over? Wouldn't he just as soon stay in Finland otherwise.

You guys can go ahead and like him. I'll pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00