Speculation: Buffalo among four teams speculated by THN that could have interest in Evander Kane

buffalocupcrazy*

I'm not sure what would need to be added but i'd think the Sabres would say yes and Winnipeg would ask for more. I know Myers turned it around a bit at the end of the season but i just feel like he isn't a top pairing defenseman at this point while Kane is a first liner no doubt.

lolwut.

Year Team GP G A Pts
2009-10 WPG 66 14 12 26
2010-11 WPG 73 19 24 43
2011-12 WPG 74 30 27 57
2012-13 WPG 48 17 16 33
2013-14 WPG 63 19 22 41

that's a "no doubt" first liner? spare me. he's a 0.6 PPG player. he's very good, but you make it seem as if his first name is Patrick and not Evander..

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
There's nothing wrong with the timing. Kane is younger than Myers. It's not like giving up futures to get a prime-aged player.

Spot on. It's actually a bit aggravating to constantly hear: "Now isn't the right time to trade for such and such player" when young forwards like Kane or Tatar or insert good young up an coming player here is brought up. The sabres need more players who at least have a shot at becoming top 6 if not top line players. Now that isn't to say I neccesarily like the value of a Myers for Kane swap, but the premise (swapping from an organizational strength to address an organizational weakness is sound). The draft shouldn't be the only avenue in which the sabres address their biggest weakness.

JoeyB8810

Aug 12, 2010
lolwut.

Year Team GP G A Pts
2009-10 WPG 66 14 12 26
2010-11 WPG 73 19 24 43
2011-12 WPG 74 30 27 57
2012-13 WPG 48 17 16 33
2013-14 WPG 63 19 22 41

that's a "no doubt" first liner? spare me. he's a 0.6 PPG player. he's very good, but you make it seem as if his first name is Patrick and not Evander..

No your spot on with that one. Agree 100% that stats tell a dif story, but i just feel like if he were to have some good linemates he'd put up better numbers. Plus he be on the first line for the sabres which is kinda what i meant.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Spot on. It's actually a bit aggravating to constantly hear: "Now isn't the right time to trade for such and such player" when young forwards like Kane or Tatar or insert good young up an coming player here is brought up. The sabres need more players who at least have a shot at becoming top 6 if not top line players. Now that isn't to say I neccesarily like the value of a Myers for Kane swap, but the premise (swapping from an organizational strength to address an organizational weakness is sound). The draft shouldn't be the only avenue in which the sabres address their biggest weakness.

Huge difference between Kane and Tatar.

And the timing comes from the fact that there is no need to trade Myers... there is time to let him grow more and if he doesn't then you're stuck with a second pair D-man ..the horror.

We have the luxury of waiting and seeing what we have coming in the 2015 draft for high end forwards plus giving more time to see the development in the forwards we already have. There is no rush to address this problem... Sorry some find it aggravating

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Winnipeg doesn't even have a need for Myers... they're pipeline is bursting with D-men as well

ZeroPT*

I think exploring a more quantity for quality trade would be a better option, wasn't the asking price two top 6 forwards,a 1st and a good prospect?
Stewart
Ennis/Hodgson
STL 1st
Armia or Grigorenko

That's a good value package and I'd still give it up. Not sure about Stewart though, maybe they'd rather have someone with term.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
No your spot on with that one. Agree 100% that stats tell a dif story, but i just feel like if he were to have some good linemates he'd put up better numbers. Plus he be on the first line for the sabres which is kinda what i meant.
maybe spot on, but quick, name Kanes centers he's played with thus far in ATL/WPG during his career 18-22? the thought of him next to Reinhart makes me drool. he's a dynamic skater, gets shots off and hits like a PF, and now he's adding some pk to his game. I just think he's going to develop into a beast of a player when he starts to hit his prime and becomes a MAN in a few years. I dont care if its a year too soon or whatever, I make that move all day and then worry about the D.

i just believe Kanes attainable ceiling is far greater than Myers, I still question whether the IQ and the quick twitch/reaction play is there with Tyler. I think his height is actually a hindrance to his game and there's a lot of finger crossing with him, not so much with Evander.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No I wouldn't make the trade. Myers' combination of being an excellent skater and his puck rushing/ attacking ability is somewhat unique in our pipeline. I'm not trading that away for a winger.

buffalocupcrazy*

fair enough.

i'd like to have kane. not opposed to giving up myers to do it - but i think i'd want the deal to be bigger than just those two.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton

And the timing comes from the fact that there is no need to trade Myers... there is time to let him grow more and if he doesn't then you're stuck with a second pair D-man ..the horror.

We have the luxury of waiting and seeing what we have coming in the 2015 draft for high end forwards plus giving more time to see the development in the forwards we already have. There is no rush to address this problem... Sorry some find it aggravating

Exactly. This trade carries way too much of a risk.

It's not like Kane is a must-have on a cup contender.

If we're doing a Myers one-for-one trade it's always going to come with a risk but if we're doing it I don't want a winger with plenty of ???'s being the piece.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

And the timing comes from the fact that there is no need to trade Myers... there is time to let him grow more and if he doesn't then you have a second pair D-man ..the horror. We have the luxury of waiting and seeing what we have coming in the 2015 draft for high end forwards plus giving more time to see the development in the forwards we already have. There is no rush to address this problem... Sorry some find it aggravating

Yeah obviously Tatar and Kane aren't the same level of player was just using Tatar as an example. I agree there's no urgency in trading Myers or anyone in our defensive pipeline, but if a good hockey trade of equally valued assets (d for f) comes along you take it. I'm not advocating any sort of rushed deal to address our forward core, just saying the whole: we'll address it in next year's draft mentality is a narrow minded approach to the problem. You look for any way possible to address weaknesses in your organization.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nah. Don't really care to trade defense for wingers. Especially if said winger has a questionable work ethic and attitude.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Can we just sign Stewart to an extension and not use up a trade asset?

Isn't that the direction Kane's career is headed anyways?
Explode on the scene, tapering off production combined with media created questions of work ethic/character concerns...

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

Explode on the scene, tapering off production combined with media created questions of work ethic/character concerns...

I agree. Seeing Stewart have a nice year and staying would be nice instead of getting another draft pick for him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I would give up a decent amount for E Kane.

Myers deal doesn't make sense for either side.

I would give up Hodgson++ for him.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

yeah not sure i agree with that, Kane didnt explode on the scene, he showed some steady growth until the lockout and also dealt with some nagging injuries this past year. I dont think theyre really comparable players as Stewart could only dream of having Kanes burst. There's a reason one was drafted 4th and one was drafted 18th. Just because Player X did what they did ages 23-26 doesnt mean Kane is on that path.

as far as spending an 'asset', what if that 'asset' was Stewart(+?) and they could use him to fetch a Weircioch type, 24 yr old 'poor mans Tyler', solid stats, good size, right age, room to grow.

Stewart/Myers or Kane/Weircioch...i know which 'risk' i'm taking

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
This is all just smoke as far as I'm concerned. Murray doesn't seem like he'd be interested in Kane.(go ahead, post your contradiction) It seems as if Murray has purged the system of players he's not thrilled with. The coming trade deadline should be the final place for him to expunge said players. Kane would seem like he'd fit right into that group.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
All the article says is that we would be one of a few teams with the cap space and assets to acquire Kane.

Nothing in it says we are interested.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
This is all just smoke as far as I'm concerned. Murray doesn't seem like he'd be interested in Kane.(go ahead, post your contradiction) It seems as if Murray has purged the system of players he's not thrilled with. The coming trade deadline should be the final place for him to expunge said players. Kane would seem like he'd fit right into that group.
What is that based on.

Kane may have his immature moments off the ice, but I don't think his effort can be questioned, he's always played hard and said the right things there (and we know why some will immediately question his work ethic). I'd love to have him here.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
All the article says is that we would be one of a few teams with the cap space and assets to acquire Kane.

Nothing in it says we are interested.

Ding. A potential deal makes sense as we now have quantity on the wing and Kane represents quality. But, as far as we know Murray has 0 interest in overpaying for another forward at this point (and Winnipeg may have zero interest in moving him)

What we know:

#1. Evander Kane supposedly doesn't really like playing in Winnipeg. Every little thing he does gets media attention
#2. Evander Kane is 22 years old and a former high draft pick with lots of offensive potential.
#3. The Sabres have the long term cap space to take on a player similar to Kane.
#4. Evander Kane has no NTC or NMC, so even if Buffalo wasn't his #1 destination, we could still acquire him.

After that? Pure and complete speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad