Speculation: Buffalo among four teams speculated by THN that could have interest in Evander Kane

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Now way in hell would I trade Hodgson alone for Evander Kane. Hodgson is the type of player you wins championships with, Kane is the exact type of player we are trying trying to change the culture away from. Not to mention I think Hodgson is the superior player now and always

Hodgson is IMO one of the most undervalued assets by any teams fans in the league. I think he is a top line winger on a contender

His production really doesn't mesh well with that sentiment. It just doesn't. Top line wingers usually start showing the elite numbers WELL before they are 24. I'll give Hodgson a year leeway given his injury issue and time in Vancouver wasn't the best, but, even in the lockout season when he was between Vanek and Pomniville nearly the entire year, he had 34 pts in 48 games. Over a full 82 game season, that is 25 goal, 58 point pace. Those aren't top line player numbers.

He's not good in his own zone. So, he's never going to be a 1st unit PKer.

He has a decent hockey sense. Good playmaker. Soft hands

His skating is passable, not excellent. I'd say slightly above average NHL speed. He isn't physical, but I wouldn't say he shys from contact. I think, realistically, we are seeing him around what he will be. A 40-60 pt, second line C/LW. Which is pretty much the same role that Ennis plays, though they are much different players.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
His production really doesn't mesh well with that sentiment. It just doesn't. Top line wingers usually start showing the elite numbers WELL before they are 24. I'll give Hodgson a year leeway given his injury issue and time in Vancouver wasn't the best, but, even in the lockout season when he was between Vanek and Pomniville nearly the entire year, he had 34 pts in 48 games. Over a full 82 game season, that is 25 goal, 58 point pace. Those aren't top line player numbers.

He's not good in his own zone. So, he's never going to be a 1st unit PKer.

He has a decent hockey sense. Good playmaker. Soft hands

His skating is passable, not excellent. I'd say slightly above average NHL speed. He isn't physical, but I wouldn't say he shys from contact. I think, realistically, we are seeing him around what he will be. A 40-60 pt, second line C/LW. Which is pretty much the same role that Ennis plays, though they are much different players.

I was with you until the bolded. He is a well below average skater for the NHL. Well below.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I was with you until the bolded. He is a well below average skater for the NHL. Well below.

I think the difference is probably where we set the bar of 'average'. In terms of top 6 forwards? I would say Hodgson is below average.

In terms of ALL NHL skaters, including 4th liners, bottom pairing D-men, everyone? Slightly above THAT average. OK skating, good enough to keep up with the flow of play and not be a hinderance. He certainly is not a speedster, but he does well enough.

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
i could be wrong but Kane just seems like a headache for whatever team he plays for

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Is there a reason why Kane has had so much trade speculation for the last 1-2 years? Does he not want to be in Winnipeg or something?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Thoughts go out to the Murray family. That sucks.

CoHo is a flat out average skater. He's not fast, he's not slow.

Fabi

Jul 8, 2013
Not at all. Buffalo has too many prospects. Hodgson + St Louis 1st + two prospects would be an excellent deal for Buffalo.

I would be fine with a roster Player or a 2nd, maybe two 2nd's instead of two good prospects.

But lets talk about,

it seems, Hodgson + st. Louis 1st is clinched, but what about the two "good" prospects? Are we talking about for example Carrier/Risto/Mccabe, or Jacobs/Fasching/Possler?
I Mean, i would be fine with jacobs and Possler in the mix, but with "only" Ristolainen as a part of the potential trade, i could see Murray saying "no", thanks.
Mccabe could work...

@ Hodgson

I think some teams could rate him higher than he ever will be in this Season or the 2015/16 season. Instead there is no real breakout-year pointwise in one of this seasons, his value will drop from year to year.
And even if he breaks out after a trade, isn't it a problem for Buffalo. Ennis, Reinhard, Girgensons or Grigorenko will fill his spot easily

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
would you trade Myers for Kane

a player for player trade.we get Evander Kane and the Jets get Myers.
if not what would need to be added by either team

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Can't do that trade now. It would have to be a 2 for 2 type of trade where buffalo is getting back a vet Dman

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Can't do that trade now. It would have to be a 2 for 2 type of trade where buffalo is getting back a vet Dman

How come?

I'm sure we can aquire a vet dman easily by other means.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'd rather just wait, better assess which of Myers/Risto/Pysyk/Zads is the odd man out, and move that player as the major piece coming back for a winger that puts an older, better team over the top. LA did it with Johnson, Boston with Wideman, Pittsburgh with Whitney.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Can we stop with this whole Kane situation. I get that he's the "it" trade bait around the league right now. But this really isn't the time to be making this type of move.

There'll be a different"it" player at the time that we're better suited to make this type of move.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
I'd rather just wait, better assess which of Myers/Risto/Pysyk/Zads is the odd man out, and move that player as the major piece coming back for a winger that puts an older, better team over the top. LA did it with Johnson, Boston with Wideman, Pittsburgh with Whitney.

you cant be serious.
i would actually give the jets a 2nd as well if need be.Kane is the way to build a team.along with reinhart that would really be a great start of moving this team in the right direction

ZeroPT*

I'd rather wait a year and make this move next year when it makes more sense.

JoeyB8810

Aug 12, 2010
I'm not sure what would need to be added but i'd think the Sabres would say yes and Winnipeg would ask for more. I know Myers turned it around a bit at the end of the season but i just feel like he isn't a top pairing defenseman at this point while Kane is a first liner no doubt.

ZeroPT*

a good way to build a strong team

is to wait and make the necessary moves at the necessary time, which isn't this move nor is it right now.

Kane is also a lightning rod for controversy, I'd rather not have that huge off ice distraction on my team.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Can we stop with this whole Kane situation. I get that he's the "it" trade bait around the league right now. But this really isn't the time to be making this type of move.

There'll be a different"it" player at the time that we're better suited to make this type of move.

There's nothing wrong with the timing. Kane is younger than Myers. It's not like giving up futures to get a prime-aged player.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
you cant be serious.
i would actually give the jets a 2nd as well if need be.Kane is the way to build a team.along with reinhart that would really be a great start of moving this team in the right direction
Why would you ever spend assets on a winger who isn't elite at anything in the middle of a rebuild?

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
I'd make a deal for Evander, but I'd also keep Myers just as easily. I don't think Zads is the odd man out. All indications are that he still needs some time in Rah-cha-cha. What makes everyone think that Myers is damaged beyond repair? His total package could be obscene. Lets not be too quick to hustle him out of town. Everyone that "needed" to go is gone. No rush from here on out. A power forward is always given time to realize his physical game. Why not a big dman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad