GDT: BUF vs COL | 8:22pm MT | The EJ Emergency Thread

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
giphy.gif

Today, we love this f*cking team and f*cking Uncle EJ!

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
HaHa I had the same thought when the goal happened. With that said I don't have a problem with those cross ice passes. They are very effective on the PP but you need to pick the right time to make them. That's where Mack has issues with. Making one good one but turning over the puck 25 other times because you force them is not a good ratio.

Yep. You know that next game he'll be trying it non-stop.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He was a puck-seeking missile.

I really want Wood to work with Nuke and develop that dogged puck pursuit. He's good at what he does, but if he could develop defensively like Nuke...holy crap.

It'll never happen. Wood has the speed and size and tenacity, but Nuke's hockey sense is worlds beyond his. The reason he's so effective at getting the puck is because he knows where it's going. Wood can't really anticipate the play at that level. Takes a special player to do so.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It'll never happen. Wood has the speed and size and tenacity, but Nuke's hockey sense is worlds beyond his. The reason he's so effective at getting the puck is because he knows where it's going. Wood can't really anticipate the play at that level. Takes a special player to do so.
He's also not nearly the skater Nichushkin is. Wood goes in straight lines and can't really turn his body quickly.

Nichushkin has incredible mobility laterally.

Strange, too, because both have had major hip surgeries in the past.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We have been on winning streaks with Mack out, or Mikko out, or Makar out, etc. I don't remember having any winning streaks with Nuke out. A fully healthy Nuke IMO is that important to the Avs.
When he's on, the dude is straight fire. He is an absolute menace on the forecheck and a speed demon backchecking.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Sam Malinski looked like Cale Makar with that blueline shake. Anyone have a gif of it? Cale had to have taught him that.
I am not sure if he learned that watching Makar but there are a few clips of him doing it in the NCAA. When he signed with the Avs there were a few of us commenting on him having some of Makar in him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What a great tribute and ovation for EJ. LOL at him finishing his hits hard against guys he didn’t or barely played with like Meyers and Oloffson, but nobody else.

Felt for him on the turnover and goal against. Terrible idea to be playing him on LD though. Not sure why they’re doing that. He probably played 5 games or less on the left his entire 13 years in Colorado. The few times he played with another righty, they’d almost always shift the other guy to the left. You could see how uncomfortable he looked trying to protect the puck towards the middle of the ice on the left side before that turnover.

Thought Toews had a really good game. Played with an intensity in both the O zone and D zone that’s been missing from his game for a while. Battled physically instead of just relying on his stick in the D zone. Competed in the O zone to create plays. Love to see it and hope it continues.

Definitely not a penalty on Nate for interference on that goal. Clifton grabbed his stick and fell down on purpose. Actually surprised the refs didn’t call it, since it wasn’t actually a penalty.

Team still needs to iron out its consistencty, especially in the 2nd. It seems very related to their temperamental nature.

They went almost the whole first period without giving up a shot. Then gave up a goal on the first shot for Buffalo. Then gave up the next 5 shots of the period. Then they they go the first 12+ minutes of the second without getting a shot themselves. Shots were 15-6 for the Avs in the first, and 15-3 for the Sabres in the second.

They stuck with it though and turned it around. A good sign that they’ve been able to do this recently, instead of giving in to the problem like earlier in the year. Just got to work on those dips during games, and they’ll be back to that near 60 minute game that makes them so hard to beat.

Reactions: Pokecheque

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Nichushkin is literally unstoppable when he plays like he did last night.

No other player in the league combines his size, speed, tenacity, and offense when he is on.
I was at the game....... yes in my Sabres jersey but after all, they are my original home team....

Nuke was a monster last night. No one in their right mind wanted to deal with him nor was anyone able to.

Just so impressive.......

The tribute to EJ was emotional and deserved. We all joined the standing ovation. It lasted for minutes and was thunderous.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
We have been on winning streaks with Mack out, or Mikko out, or Makar out, etc. I don't remember having any winning streaks with Nuke out. A fully healthy Nuke IMO is that important to the Avs.
A fully healthy (and available) Nuke, IMO, defeats Seattle in last years playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad