GDT: BUF vs COL | 8:22pm MT | The EJ Emergency Thread

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The underrated part of this game is EJ only targeting Olofsson when he wanted to be physical against someone on his old team, since he never played with Olofsson and doesn’t know him.
We also took it easy on EJ I feel like. At least didn't finish checks as hard or didn't hit at all.

That's nice

Jets beat Kings?! Are they for real? I have to say, didn't expect this from the Jets.

Reactions: the_fan

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Missed this one and just watched the extended highlights and EJ tribute. Man I got a bit teary eyed watching the EJ thing. The f***ing Condor. Gave us his all and I'm so happy that he got his cup with us. We're going to have to bring him back for a retirement deal sort of thing. That man must retire an Av. As far as the game is concerned, we won. Pack your shit up and go win the next one too. Fire Bednar AND George.
He will follow JJ footsteps and sign league minimum next season imo

Malinski is going to be dynamic if he can get his confidence going. He looks great with the puck.
The move he made close to Buffalo blueline was pretty sneaky. Liked it a lot.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think what's mind blowing to me is that the Avs are in 1st place in the division, with no 2nd line to speak of, erratic play from 96, generically subpar goaltending, and long term injuries/absences to 92, 62, and 49.

Just shows how talented and well coached they really are. I know we bitch about a lot of things consistently and most are warranted but the team is doing very well considering all factors going against them.

At this point for me it's address the 2nd line. And George needs to figure his shit out. Honestly he's lucky that Prosvetov is raw and needs some work or I'd say George would already be in a goalie battle.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think what's mind blowing to me is that the Avs are in 1st place in the division, with no 2nd line to speak of, erratic play from 96, generically subpar goaltending, and long term injuries/absences to 92, 62, and 49.

Just shows how talented and well coached they really are. I know we bitch about a lot of things consistently and most are warranted but the team is doing very well considering all factors going against them.

At this point for me it's address the 2nd line. And George needs to figure his shit out. Honestly he's lucky that Prosvetov is raw and needs some work or I'd say George would already be in a goalie battle.

There was a reason we were so pissed they didn't get a 2C after Kadri walked. This core should have multiple cups before it's over but, barring a miracle UFA acquisition, management f***ed that pretty good.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Nichushkin was a force last night. Credit to MacKinnon to, who I criticized early in th year, but has returned to his usual form.

Hopefully we have something in Malinski.

Reactions: LTCPain75

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If you’re referring to the 27-12-90 line that one was actually not bad tonight. It was that line that set up Malinski’s goal. It was the third line of 28-20-25 that got gobsmacked all over the ice. Now, they too scored a goal, but apart from that one highlight they were mostly bad in this game.
They just have to do more as a second line. That’s not a checking line to go out there and do something good every 3 or 4 games. The 2nd line should provide offense more consistently, but like @forsbergavs32 said, maybe in the playoffs we’ll have a good 2nd line if Landy and Lehky come back

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Nichushkin was a force last night. Credit to MacKinnon to, who I criticized early in th year, but has returned to his usual form.

Hopefully we have something in Malinski.
Malinski is looking pretty reasonable. 4 pts in 7 games with limited ice time and is not a complete sieve defensively.

It's another complete f*** up on managements part if he comes in plays competently. Reason being is because if he does that means Girard was even more expendable, which is super frustrating to me.

CMac has completely butchered the 2C issue. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions like choosing ELC player over luxury overpaid player. Had he just made this decision, CMac could have dedicated more resources to a huge problem.

Instead we are stuck with broken and washed RyJo and no Girard anyways.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If you’re referring to the 27-12-90 line that one was actually not bad tonight. It was that line that set up Malinski’s goal. It was the third line of 28-20-25 that got gobsmacked all over the ice. Now, they too scored a goal, but apart from that one highlight they were mostly bad in this game.
That's fine but one reasonable game here and there by the 2nd line isn't exactly ideal. They generally suck most nights.

Not even close to good enough for a 2nd line. That's is really a bottom 5 2nd line in the league, possibly even the worst. I'm not saying we need the best 2nd line in the league, we need like league average and we'd be in a good spot.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We also took it easy on EJ I feel like. At least didn't finish checks as hard or didn't hit at all.

That's nice

Jets beat Kings?! Are they for real? I have to say, didn't expect this from the Jets.
I’m not sure if Jets are for real. They were tops in the division around this time last year too, dropped to wildcard by the end of the year

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Malinski is looking pretty reasonable. 4 pts in 7 games with limited ice time and is not a complete sieve defensively.

It's another complete f*** up on managements part if he comes in plays competently. Reason being is because if he does that means Girard was even more expendable, which is super frustrating to me.

CMac has completely butchered the 2C issue. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions like choosing ELC player over luxury overpaid player. Had he just made this decision, CMac could have dedicated more resources to a huge problem.

Instead we are stuck with broken and washed RyJo and no Girard anyways.
What????? How can this be a complete f*** up on management? How would they have known Malinski was ready for NHL? You have to give him NHL games first and even then 7 games is a very small sample to decide if he can replace G. Lots of dmen have had a great showing in their first 10 NHL games to go back as AHL career players.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
What some people think CMac is meant to be:

giphy.gif

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Maybe Georgiev's stick is magic. Can we get him to slash Johansen and see what happens?
Speaking of sticks. When is Big Moose going to break a couple of sticks over opposing forwards? This may help him out of his goal slump quicker!

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Malinski was good last night, but I think people are running a little wild with it.
Yeah agree and I am a fan of his. He could be the solution to one of our holes but let's see how he does against stronger teams first before giving him the spot permanently. In fact him starting against weaker teams could help him in the long run. It gives him a chance to settle in nicely and adjust to the NHL speed before meeting the tougher teams. It is certainly encouraging though.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Also, that Sabres goal is so Avs. Another late period breakdown which results in a goal against. I'm concerned with the 5th goal where MacK threads the needle on a pass over to Nuke for the easy goal. That's just going to reinforce his whole passing through traffic thing he seems to do on the PP so often. Nuke looked like a man possessed from what I saw. Great to see Malinski get one as well. Hopefully we have something with him because this team really needs a good righty back on D not named Makar.
HaHa I had the same thought when the goal happened. With that said I don't have a problem with those cross ice passes. They are very effective on the PP but you need to pick the right time to make them. That's where Mack has issues with. Making one good one but turning over the puck 25 other times because you force them is not a good ratio.

Reactions: missionAvs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's fine but one reasonable game here and there by the 2nd line isn't exactly ideal. They generally suck most nights.

Not even close to good enough for a 2nd line. That's is really a bottom 5 2nd line in the league, possibly even the worst. I'm not saying we need the best 2nd line in the league, we need like league average and we'd be in a good spot.
Well…can’t argue that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad