Confirmed with Link: [BUF/VAN] D Riley Stillman for F Josh Bloom

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
And as a 5/6 guy, that kind of comes with the territory. But his CF% seems to be consistently very good, which makes me think he's more than making up for his lapses
Yeah and that Vancouver is a really really bad run team for all their fans to think he is like the worst Dman of all time ( which he very clearly is not and us actually pretty decent for us!)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But wait, Vancouver fans said he was TERRIBLE and laughed at anyone suggesting it might be a reflection of their team/system/etc.

I’d like to see one of his player cards from his time in buffalo.

He's been a pleasant surprise for not only being a bit rumbly in the physical department but also that he hasn't sucked. In fact, he's been okay to even good as a third pairing guy.

Then again, Sabre fandom has had a few moments like this too where a useful player has been miscast or is in over their head in Buffalo only to go on to be decent (or better) in their new home.

For posterities sake:

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So do we start to think they may be right about Stillman? Limited minutes thus a small sample size, yet he's on for more shots for than against and at the moment best in CF% of all of the 10 who have played more than one game. Dumb luck? Or did they Jost one here?

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
So do we start to think they may be right about Stillman? Limited minutes thus a small sample size, yet he's on for more shots for than against and at the moment best in CF% of all of the 10 who have played more than one game. Dumb luck? Or did they Jost one here?
Maybe a stretch but I think they found a diamond in the rough. He's been really steady and can bring a physical touch to his game... Kinda everything you want in a bottom pairing d-man.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe a stretch but I think they found a diamond in the rough. He's been really steady and can bring a physical touch to his game... Kinda everything you want in a bottom pairing d-man.

I've been pleased since about 2 games. As you say, he's been very good in his role which helps them steady their third pair.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't know, the eye test tells me he doesn't have a big hand in driving offense but there's the circle of life and all and he defends pretty well while lining up a big hit every now and then. Certainly an important piece to the puzzle.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I don’t think it’s luck. They specifically targeted him as their defensive addition at the deadline. I thought all of the instant hate was a bit unwarranted, but I think we’re all happy with how it’s turning out so far!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know, the eye test tells me he doesn't have a big hand in driving offense but there's the circle of life and all and he defends pretty well while lining up a big hit every now and then. Certainly an important piece to the puzzle.

Yeah, it's not so much that he's driving the bus for shots. I do appreciate that he keeps things fairly simple on a team where there is a lot of higher risk plays. It might be that - he seems likely to just pound a shoot in back around the net to get it deep rather than trying to walk the blueline and potentially leave a break. And for his warts, like the Ranger game, Boosh has some good transition passing skills so having someone be the take out portion of the pair frees him a little to make a crisp first pass.

I don’t think it’s luck. They specifically targeted him as their defensive addition at the deadline. I thought all of the instant hate was a bit unwarranted, but I think we’re all happy with how it’s turning out so far!

It's been a small sample, but for a third pairing guy, winning his matchup is a nice change. I am curious at his relative lack of PK time since he seems to play a simple style that would benefit the PK. He's also getting the least average TOI total of the 10 guys with more than one game. It's curious.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yeah, it's not so much that he's driving the bus for shots. I do appreciate that he keeps things fairly simple on a team where there is a lot of higher risk plays. It might be that - he seems likely to just pound a shoot in back around the net to get it deep rather than trying to walk the blueline and potentially leave a break. And for his warts, like the Ranger game, Boosh has some good transition passing skills so having someone be the take out portion of the pair frees him a little to make a crisp first pass.

It's been a small sample, but for a third pairing guy, winning his matchup is a nice change. I am curious at his relative lack of PK time since he seems to play a simple style that would benefit the PK. He's also getting the least average TOI total of the 10 guys with more than one game. It's curious.

I really wonder what our third pairing is going to look like next year. It could go so many ways…Stillman/Boosh? Johnson? What about Joker if we get a proper partner for Power? Interesting options, though I’d prefer we fire Joker into the sun.

But the team clearly values physicality with Boosh and Stillman additions. So it’ll be interesting to see the gameplan

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralonzo

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
You probably missed that they just picked him up because Adams played with his father :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Dex and Ehran

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I really wonder what our third pairing is going to look like next year. It could go so many ways…Stillman/Boosh? Johnson? What about Joker if we get a proper partner for Power? Interesting options, though I’d prefer we fire Joker into the sun.

But the team clearly values physicality with Boosh and Stillman additions. So it’ll be interesting to see the gameplan
I would think Adams is hunting for a late 20's early 30's top 4 dman. I would also think he is looking at a few options. If he can get two, Joki is most likely gone.

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power xxxx
Lybushkin Xxxx
Stillman/Bryson

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I don't think there was instant hate for Stillman, and he has clearly been the best option on the third pair with Boosh as long as they are getting third pair minute. There was nothing wrong with that trade.

The hate came from the trade NOT being for a top 4 guy that we desperately needed. That gaping hole was left gaping, and poor Owen Power stranded on a second pairing island with Joker or worse all year. Definitely mad about that.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

I still think Jost is JAG but Stillman has shown as a shockingly competent #6 which we've been begging for, for how many years now?

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't think there was instant hate for Stillman, and he has clearly been the best option on the third pair with Boosh as long as they are getting third pair minute. There was nothing wrong with that trade.

The hate came from the trade NOT being for a top 4 guy that we desperately needed. That gaping hole was left gaping, and poor Owen Power stranded on a second pairing island with Joker or worse all year. Definitely mad about that.
Yeah in a vacuum I take Stillman over Bryson, I just think the overall effect is minimal compared to finding a 2nd pair RHD.

I'd like to see the FWs that are out there with Stillman and if that has impacted his good numbers any. I also think it's been a couple weeks since Granato should've paired Power with Lyubushkin, and put Joker with Stillman. Seems it should be a better fit for all four guys.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah in a vacuum I take Stillman over Bryson, I just think the overall effect is minimal compared to finding a 2nd pair RHD.

I'd like to see the FWs that are out there with Stillman and if that has impacted his good numbers any. I also think it's been a couple weeks since Granato should've paired Power with Lyubushkin, and put Joker with Stillman. Seems it should be a better fit for all four guys.

It's still a small sample, but it seems like they have a 6/7.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I went through the first 5 pages of this thread and YIKES. There were some brutal takes. I didn't have the stomach to go past the first 5 pages. Glad to see there has been a re-assessment.

In my opinion, the trades for Stillman and Greenway, and the one they didn't (Chychrun)- while pissing most posters off, were - in my opinion - a clear sign that the Sabres are ready to take the next step in building this team.

• The discussions about Chychrun were clear acknowledgement that the team needs a top four defensemen. I personally did not want Chychrun, but it seems to me that Buffalo will be in the market for another defenseman.
  • The Stillman acquisition is a clear acknowledgement that the Sabres need NHL level defensive depth on the roster. Just about a month after the trade, the knee jerk negativism has, for the most part thankfully turned into the realization that he's not as bad as led to believe by the Vancouver fans - and that he actually might fill that 6/7 role with an actual NHL defenseman who can play. How different the Sabres D will look with Stillman, a new top 4 guy, and perhaps Ryan Johnson.
  • The Greenway trade was another acknowledgement that the team needed size. Greenway fills that need and if he can score 15-20 as some predict - we've made a strong acquisition.
I like what I have seen from Stillman. There's a reason they went after him - it's not because Adams was doing a favor for a past teammate. They knew they wanted NHL level Depth. Another is his style of play and willingness get physical when needed. That's something the Sabres need going forward. He can play the right side, he fits with the age group, his contract is not absurd and he's an RFA when it expires after next year.

Kudos to the Sabres scouts and analytic guys for the above moves - and the Jost move too.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
There was no room for Bloom on the Sabres NHL roster anyway. Maybe good AHLer so basically a free asset with Stillman.

I am pleased with his game.
Bloom is 2-3 years away from seeing the NHL so I am not sure about that assessment. I like getting Stillman but he could have been had for a 4th round pick.

Saying there is no room for guys still playing in the CHL is a huge assumption because until he plays a season or two in the AHL you don't really know where his potential lands. The Amerks can always use talented players who are callups.

Reactions: Irie

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don’t think he bears out as more than a 7 long-term but as an upgrade to Clague that’s already better than I expected

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Bloom is 2-3 years away from seeing the NHL so I am not sure about that assessment. I like getting Stillman but he could have been had for a 4th round pick.

Saying there is no room for guys still playing in the CHL is a huge assumption because until he plays a season or two in the AHL you don't really know where his potential lands. The Amerks can always use talented players who are callups.
Would Bloom have returned more than a 4th by himself at the deadline?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Would Bloom have returned more than a 4th by himself at the deadline?
Who knows but why trade away a prospect that you have invested time into when you can get Stillman on the cheap. So lets draft another Bloom with that 4th and kick the can down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad