Confirmed with Link: [BUF/VAN] D Riley Stillman for F Josh Bloom

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If you like Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson as 1-3 and Jokiharju, Boosh, and Stillman as 5-7 (good luck getting one of them to clear waivers to play in Rochester as 8th on the depth chart), then all they need to address this off season is #4.
If (big if) Stillman continues looking the part of a solid bottom pairing guy, then Id be game to trade Joki. There's a team out there that'll believe they can squeze every ounce of potential out of him, so we just need to fing our Fletcher to fleece.

If Stillman starts to regress, then perhaps we try Joki on the third pairing.

I know people HATE Bryson, but Id be ok with him as the #7. He's shown decent stretches of good bottom pairing play with Lyubushkin.

Johnsons, if he signs, starts the year in Rochester and is first call-up. He'll get a bunch of games up here to show his worth. If he outplays Stillman, then Stillman goes to #7, Bryson is waived, and we actually might have some depth on defense.

Another body to compete with Bryson isn't a bad idea, either, or just fire Bryson into the sun and upgrade him.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If (big if) Stillman continues looking the part of a solid bottom pairing guy, then Id be game to trade Joki. There's a team out there that'll believe they can squeze every ounce of potential out of him, so we just need to fing our Fletcher to fleece.

If Stillman starts to regress, then perhaps we try Joki on the third pairing.

I know people HATE Bryson, but Id be ok with him as the #7. He's shown decent stretches of good bottom pairing play with Lyubushkin.

Johnsons, if he signs, starts the year in Rochester and is first call-up. He'll get a bunch of games up here to show his worth. If he outplays Stillman, then Stillman goes to #7, Bryson is waived, and we actually might have some depth on defense.

Another body to compete with Bryson isn't a bad idea, either, or just fire Bryson into the sun and upgrade him.
I have no huge issue with shopping Jokiharju as a piece in a deal for a major upgrade at 4D, especially if Johnson is signed. Or moving him by himself after they get the upgrade at 4D without him.

Bryson at 7 and Johnson at 8 with average to above average AHL-NHL tweeners at 9 & 10 works.

The key will be making that major upgrade at 4D.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Vancouver is the spot for Joker but would not be interested in them pushing someone like Garland on us

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
This guy has been so solid, 2-0 break allowed not withstanding (Boosh put him in a tough spot tbh)

We added toughness but not stupid toughness. That slap pass on Cozens goal was awesome too. He can play.

The trade thread and Canuck fans would’ve had you believe we traded for a guy straight out of the HarborCenter beer league.
It’s 5 games…
I’m happy for Stillman. But he was pretty bad for the Canucks.

It’s a win win for both teams.

Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'm all for 13F 8D in general. I'm on the keep-Stillman-dump-Bryson train. I was wrong on Stillman after the trade. He would get claimed by several teams. Bryson at 1.85? Maybe Arizona to get to the cap floor
If Stillman is a 7 or 8 game, which he should be, great move. He's not a top 6 guy. I've seen this train pull into the station so many times with Sabres fan. They get excited over a new guy, and reality eventually hits. Still is 25 and has done very little in this league. His old man had a better draft pedigree and was well ahead of him in his career at this age. If Stillman is on the opening day roster in 2023-24, it shows Sabres really did very little with their D.

It’s 5 games…
I’m happy for Stillman. But he was pretty bad for the Canucks.
No joke. People get so excited over nothing players. You wanna gush at Kulich doing what he's doing at 18 in the AHL, go ahead. This guy is no answer other than depth when injuries hit.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
If Stillman is a 7 or 8 game, which he should be, great move. He's not a top 6 guy. I've seen this train pull into the station so many times with Sabres fan. They get excited over a new guy, and reality eventually hits. Still is 25 and has done very little in this league. His old man had a better draft pedigree and was well ahead of him in his career at this age. If Stillman is on the opening day roster in 2023-24, it shows Sabres really did very little with their D.

No joke. People get so excited over nothing players. You wanna gush at Kulich doing what he's doing at 18 in the AHL, go ahead. This guy is no answer other than depth when injuries hit.

*Guy gets brought in to solidify 3rd pairing
*3rd pairing gets solidified
"Why are people so happy that the team demonstrably improved??"

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

And some people get negative every time other people get excited. You don't win anything from being a Debbie Downer. It's not like people look back and say "Oh that guy was so wise when he was so negative in the face of positivity".

1678892502026.png

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I think it is because throwing punches is really the only skill boxers and hockey fighters share, and throwing a punch on skates while having your jersey arm held is pretty different than a boxing punch.

I am not a boxing fan, but I believe boxing fundamentals are about footwork for attacking and separation, feints, counter punches, and defensive strategies.

Hockey fighting on skates is close-quarter combat that is all about "grappling" (grabbing jerseys) to limit the damage your challenger can do while freeing up a hand to inflict damage.

Whomever has their opponents jersey held in a better position has a significant advantage in a hockey fight.

Given that I think Canada is the only country that has fighting in it's development leagues, but coaches can't coach fighting without getting fired, leaves fighting in a akward place and a very grey area.

Goon School was a thing until it received overwhelmingly negative global press.

I think it is a situation where players tend to learn mostly from teammates and then accumulating experience from actually fighting.
Boxing is the wrong thing, its too clean.
MMA on the other hand.
I guess to get really good there is not enough time for hockey

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
You, me, or anyone has any idea what he'll become in time.

At the very least, he played a role in the team beating Toronto because with Clague AND Bryson playing- we probably lose that game.

Most of us are happy with his play, but realize it's a small sample size. Some, on the extreme side of the spectrum, may already be labeling him a good bottom pairing guy for the future. Youre on the opposite extreme, saying he wont amount to jack in the future.

Stay level, my dude!

Nobody expected him to be more than that.
In fact, many expected less than that, but he's played well so far, so kudos to him. Hopefully it continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: BUCKSHOT

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
You, me, or anyone has any idea what he'll become in time.

At the very least, he played a role in the team beating Toronto because with Clague AND Bryson playing- we probably lose that game.

Most of us are happy with his play, but realize it's a small sample size. Some on the extreme spectrum may already be labeling him a good bottom pairing guy for the future. Youre on the opposite extreme, saying he wont amount to jack in the future.

Stay level, my dude!

In fact, many expected less than that, but he's played well so far, so kudos to him. Hopefully it continues.
I guess the expectations of aquiring a top4 brought him some grief around here.
His advanced stats card didnt help either.
I liked him sofar; Would be nice to have a Boosh-Still 3rd pair. No we just need a top4 to replace Joker.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I figure he's probably about the same defensively as Bryson, but a different player that brings something he can't. Maybe a touch better overall (maybe, I really don't know yet), I just don't think trading for a guy that's a touch better was really worth the bother. Hopes are for Ryan Johnson for the semi-near future.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
And some people get negative every time other people get excited. You don't win anything from being a Debbie Downer. It's not like people look back and say "Oh that guy was so wise when he was so negative in the face of positivity".

View attachment 669455

This team doesn't have enough D. If they count on Stillman as top 6, they still won't. It's just reality. You can't plan a major league hockey team on a hope and a dream. I'm going to assume management is thinking beyond Stillman as a top 6 player.

Lmao at the downers that can’t even be happy that a guy might be f***ing serviceable.

We’re not talking Victor Hedman here for crying out loud. Hopefully he’s our 7th D next season.

As I clearly said, as a depth player he's fine. Can't be on opening day lineup.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Nothing players?! Markus Ketterer >>>> Hasek. Ketterer never lost a game for the Sabres!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad