Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres sign Dalton Smith (1 year, $700,000, 2-way)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I remember being so puzzled when he was drafted like 35th or something. Turned out to be a pretty terrible 2nd round but still. Kid was not good.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
This is why we are a joke of an organization.

Should have rewarded Brett Murray with a contract, that's what a good/smart team would do...but not the Sabres.

Reactions: egelband

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He's practicing with the Sabres this morning from what I understand.
Definitely a response call up to Tampa's liberties with the Sabres earlier this season. Not afraid to drop the gloves at all, and is very successful when he does.

Reactions: egelband

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
No slight to the player. Everyone who puts pen to paper on an NHL contract should be immensely proud.

But I don't get this. Sabres are sliding out of the playoff picture and their plan is to dress an AHL fighter against a team that thrives on playing a chippy game and beating you on special teams.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
No slight to the player. Everyone who puts pen to paper on an NHL contract should be immensely proud.

But I don't get this. Sabres are sliding out of the playoff picture and their plan is to dress an AHL fighter against a team that thrives on playing a chippy game and beating you on special teams.

Buffalo’s bottom-six is as ineffective and soft as it gets. Bringing a player of Smith’s role brings a different element to their roster.

Dalton Smith could hang and beat practically anyone in the NHL, and he is a decent player to boot. I was dumbfounded to why he wasn’t signed to an NHL contract when he had a double-digit goal season a few years ago.

He is only going to play a couple of game at the most. It is about time that they actually have someone with some pushback, even it it’s for one game.

How many times has Reinhart been slapped around with no one coming to his aid? It is embarrassing to watch.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I don't understand why you had to burn a contract on this player.

Because Tampa injured two Sabres players in the 3 games they played this year--one took out a player's knee when he wasn't involved in the play, and the other was elbowed in the head--one player missed extended time, and the other is yet to play since, and neither resulted in a penalty on the play. The league has done next to nothing about it, so the Sabres have to make a move like this to protect themselves.

EDIT: Also want to add that the Sabres are playing Tampa this Tuesday.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Because Tampa injured two Sabres players in the 3 games they played this year--one took out a player's knee when he wasn't involved in the play, and the other was elbowed in the head--one of those players is still yet to play since, and neither resulted in a penalty on the play. The league has done next to nothing about it, so the Sabres have to make a move like this to protect themselves.

Pretty much what it looks like. If the league isn't going to give the rules any effect, well, that's what teams have goons for.

Or maybe they're just hoping he can be the new Matt Ellis, and we'll have a weirdly good record with him in the line-up despite him being a marginal player. :laugh:

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Pretty much what it looks like. If the league isn't going to give the rules any effect, well, that's what teams have goons for.

Or maybe they're just hoping he can be the new Matt Ellis, and we'll have a weirdly good record with him in the line-up despite him being a marginal player. :laugh:
I'm expecting the refs to find an excuse to give Smith a game misconduct around the 10 minute mark of the 1st period. Can't ruin the high integrity of this league.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Because Tampa injured two Sabres players in the 3 games they played this year--one took out a player's knee when he wasn't involved in the play, and the other was elbowed in the head--one player missed extended time, and the other is yet to play since, and neither resulted in a penalty on the play. The league has done next to nothing about it, so the Sabres have to make a move like this to protect themselves.

EDIT: Also want to add that the Sabres are playing Tampa this Tuesday.

That is the context I needed, makes sense, go f*** em up

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Just to add, Biron has mention on the radio at least twice that Sobotka may be done for the season due to that low blow by Kucherov. While Sobotka isn't any player worth getting up in arms over, its the idea that makes it damning.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I agree with fighting fire with fire.

Maybe the league will realize that officials calling the cheap shots rather than admiring them will eliminate the need for nuclear detente.

It seems the old Decency argument has fallen on deaf ears.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Is it though?
Even I'll concede, Tampa's Players have definitely been given carte' blanche on head hunting this season. They've taken questionable, and in some cases, the Sabres most certainly, beyond questionable liberties without consequences.

As I posted earlier, this guy won't hesitate to drop the gloves, and he's very successful when he does. He'll definitely leave an opponents blood on the ice without hesitation.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I agree with fighting fire with fire.

Maybe the league will realize that officials calling the cheap shots rather than admiring them will eliminate the need for nuclear detente.

It seems the old Decency argument has fallen on deaf ears.
I honestly had ZERO interest in watching the Sabres get punked tomorrow night till this move was made. It’s got my attention ~ kinda like watching a car accident.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Dalton Smith is a average, fighter at best who's only attempts to land almost always hit the guy in the back.

Tampa really has nothing to worry about. He's a goon and not even a good goon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad